PDA

View Full Version : Allies for Orks?

simiusmagnus
09-11-2013, 01:42 PM
I have my Ork army about the way I want it (at least until they put out the new codex/models sometime next year), and I'm giving some thought to making a small allied force. I'm very undecided so I thought I'd ask for some input. Any recommendations for a force that would compliment an infantry heavy Ork army? I'm kinda thinking Tau or CSM, but I don't know.

Lord Anubis
09-11-2013, 03:14 PM
I would go for Kroot Mercenaries (http://thegrimcheapness.blogspot.com/2012/07/kroot-taste-like-chicken.html), personally, if the new mini-dex makes them a viable army.

Power Klawz
09-11-2013, 03:15 PM
I think people generally take allies that shore up some deficiency in the parent list. To that effect what Orks lack is long ranged anti-armor firepower. Tau are pretty good at that sort of thing, and its hard to say no to a couple of deep striking obliterators or a hell-turkey.

Tau battlesuits outfitted for anti-armor work that deep strike in and cause a ruckus would go well with an Ork infantry horde, and Kroot or firewarriors make a nice firebase, kroot are pretty cheap and very shooty by ork standards.

I think I'd take a battlesuit commander and a few friends with melta guns and plasma, then take minimum kroot squads with sniper bullets.

As for CSM there's the standard compliment of a cheap Chaos lord with some cultists, add obliterators and heldrakes until you feel bad, win games.

Mr.Pickelz
09-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Tau or IG would benefit Orks more than CSM, Hellturkeys are great and all, but a squad of Leman Russes (Russai?) or artillery would really help Orks with their Anti-Tank issues. Vets in a Vendetta, with Lemans or a Manticore for heavy and a command squad with plasma in a chimera. One thing i think would be funny to see is a full squad of Orgyns with a Lord Commissar walking up the field next to mobs of Orks, with a Vendetta full of crack-shot mercenaries (Vets) and a looted, or Mercenary Leman Russ squad back them up.

simiusmagnus
09-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks, all. And yes, my usual strategy regarding tanks is to charge it with a mob of boyz, hoping the nob survives to punch holes in the shooty thing with his klaw. Effective, but not very efficient. I hadn't given much thought to IG. I do kind of like that idea, especially as I use an orkified Leman Russ from time to time. But the IG models just don't interest me that much. That's pretty much the main draw of CSM for me, it looks like it would be fun to paint. I might go with a Hellturkey, but I was thinking more along the lines of Ahriman and a contingent of Thousand Sons. Then again, Tau's being good at shooting and deep striking would be very useful while my boyz slog their way across the table. Gah! Too many choices! And, if I'm being honest, "allied force" will probably slowly turn into "standalone army."