PDA

View Full Version : FW at UK Gamesday!

DrLove42
09-11-2013, 03:45 AM
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/FW/Events/preview-uk-2013/ravana14.jpg

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/FW/Events/preview-uk-2013/ravana5.jpg

So new Tau first up, a Riptide conversion kit. Heavier armour and bigger guns, but not jump....

This in addition to early copies of Massacre book. More to come as Gamesday gets closer

Mr Mystery
09-11-2013, 03:51 AM
Byoioioioioing!

eldargal
09-11-2013, 03:54 AM
It would be nice if they did something for the Wraithknight too. I actually think that looks a bit ridiculous,like he is carying two bundles of high tech building beams or something. 'Oi boss, where you want me to put these then? 'ealth n safety will be 'earin of this if I do me back in'

wayne williams
09-11-2013, 04:05 AM
I really like this . hope theres something elder on the way as well.

Wolfshade
09-11-2013, 04:06 AM
Must be fake everyone knows FW is marines only.

That is vicious looking, I approve,carry on FW.

Tyrendian
09-11-2013, 04:19 AM
wow epic stuff... my mate is going to bounce...

Deadlift
09-11-2013, 04:28 AM
Makes me think of "District 9" which is no bad thing really. I like it.

GravesDisease
09-11-2013, 04:33 AM
That's quite Jaeger-esque.
As in Pacific Rim, not the terrible clothes label.

Wolfshade
09-11-2013, 04:36 AM
!

Reminds me of starscream

DrLove42
09-11-2013, 04:38 AM
Because of the oversized head it looks a look more mecha than a normal riptide

Mr Mystery
09-11-2013, 05:07 AM
Head gives it a seriously art-deco look, of which I entirely approve!

lattd
09-11-2013, 05:23 AM
Cos nothing says F*** you like a super riptide.

Blusox69
09-11-2013, 06:27 AM
By Zeus' beard!

Tyrendian
09-11-2013, 06:47 AM
By Zeus' beard!

"By Aun'Vas non-existant chest hair" rather! :D

Learn2Eel
09-11-2013, 07:22 AM
Just FYI, the R'Vana does not have a jet pack, ergo, its guns or its durability would have to be improved quite a bit to make it worthwhile compared to a regular Riptide. Not having that extra mobility can be huge. Interestingly, the description says (and the model shows it) that it is more heavily armoured than a Riptide. Given that they already have a 2+ armour save, I am thinking it either has an extra wound, an extra point of Toughness, or a stock 4+ invulnerable save. As for the guns, they look remarkably similar to Commander Ra'lai's experimental rifle.

Tyrendian
09-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Just FYI, the R'Vana does not have a jet pack, ergo, its guns or its durability would have to be improved quite a bit to make it worthwhile compared to a regular Riptide. Not having that extra mobility can be huge. Interestingly, the description says (and the model shows it) that it is more heavily armoured than a Riptide. Given that they already have a 2+ armour save, I am thinking it either has an extra wound, an extra point of Toughness, or a stock 4+ invulnerable save. As for the guns, they look remarkably similar to Commander Ra'lai's experimental rifle.

well, a better Invuln would not usually come from thicker armour in the case of Tau, but from a stronger shield generator - and this variant seems to have lost the big arm-mounted one on the regular Riptide (might have been incorporated into the torso though...), so my bet would be on T7...

oh, and according to their established scheme, R'something means it's a Character (like R'Alai and R'Myr) - which fits with the experimental guns...

Learn2Eel
09-11-2013, 08:01 AM
well, a better Invuln would not usually come from thicker armour in the case of Tau, but from a stronger shield generator - and this variant seems to have lost the big arm-mounted one on the regular Riptide (might have been incorporated into the torso though...), so my bet would be on T7...

oh, and according to their established scheme, R'something means it's a Character (like R'Alai and R'Myr) - which fits with the experimental guns...

Yeah, that was my thinking too. Toughness seven and maybe even a sixth wound, but with the lack of a shield, maybe it has to rely on its nova reactor for an invulnerable save?

Ah, good spot. A HQ experimental Riptide to go along with the Farsight Enclaves one is certainly very interesting. Should give non-Enclaves players a bit of fun.

Brakkart
09-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Ohh that is one nasty looking piece of kit! I guess the Tau are learning from their clashes with the Imperial Guard and their penchant for winning battles through overwhelming firepower. I like what the Fw Newsletter has to say about this kit:

A development of the Riptide, the R’Varna sacrifices mobility for heavier armour and increased firepower in the form of two pulse submunition cannon.

No idea what the stats for a Pulse Submunition Cannon are but it sure sounds vicious!

DrLove42
09-11-2013, 08:17 AM
There are already smaller PSC on the XV9's, but I don't remember what they do...

eldargal
09-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Knowing FW they will be 36" S7 AP3 Heavy 2 Pinning.

SaveModifier
09-11-2013, 01:37 PM

yeah because if there is one thing forgeworld is all about its making competitive alternatives to available units, not just making really cool models for people to collect

The Imperial Fist
09-11-2013, 05:17 PM

Grav guns will still wound the beast on 2+ ;-)

Netsurfer733
09-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Nothing's ever REALLY tempted me to buy any Tau stuff...but now my brain is simply saying, and I quote:

"Wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant....."

Learn2Eel
09-12-2013, 08:15 AM
yeah because if there is one thing forgeworld is all about its making competitive alternatives to available units, not just making really cool models for people to collect

Umm, you do realize I was speculating about what kind of rules this thing would have based on this;

A development of the Riptide, the R’Varna sacrifices mobility for heavier armour and increased firepower in the form of two pulse submunition cannon.

I wasn't talking about it from a competitive perspective. I was just theorizing what kind of rules it would have given that a Riptide already has heavy firepower and heavy armour. But no, I'm just a power gamer who has never been to a tournament :rolleyes:

Kaptain Badrukk
09-12-2013, 08:22 AM
WANT!!!!
Rules be damned, just want it to be standing on a squished marine waving its robot arms in the air going aaaaarggghhhhhhh!
Wait, hang on, this is not an Ork.
MUST LOOT!

Archon
09-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Oh for a heresy mechanicum battle automata it is a poor design ... maybe it can be used as a proxy for a riptide?

fun besides - it looks nice but ... the head or the place where a had should be ... looks like a freezer or something

SaveModifier
09-13-2013, 02:51 AM
Umm, you do realize I was speculating about what kind of rules this thing would have based on this;

I wasn't talking about it from a competitive perspective. I was just theorizing what kind of rules it would have given that a Riptide already has heavy firepower and heavy armour. But no, I'm just a power gamer who has never been to a tournament :rolleyes:

Except you talked about how it would have to have certain things to make it "worthwhile", as if the model itself wasn't enough.

Don't try and pretend you weren't trying to be a rules-prick because you very obviously were.

Deadlift
09-13-2013, 03:13 AM
Except you talked about how it would have to have certain things to make it "worthwhile", as if the model itself wasn't enough.

Don't try and pretend you weren't trying to be a rules-prick because you very obviously were.

Oh come on mate, that's a bit strong don't you think ? We're all friends here :D

Kaptain Badrukk
09-13-2013, 03:15 AM
OK, everybody breathe. Remember we're here for the toys.........

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-13-2013, 03:16 AM
Oh if I were still a mod...

Psychosplodge
09-13-2013, 03:34 AM
Are they escaping from the rules forum?
Who left the gates open? :mad:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-13-2013, 03:35 AM
Not me, that's for sure.

eldargal
09-13-2013, 03:49 AM
Worthwhile has little to do with competitive. There are plenty of units which aren't considered 'competitive' but are still worth taking. there are also some units that just aren't worth taking because you spend a huge amount of points on something that just isn't very good at anything. Most of the FW eldar range, for example.:rolleyes: Doesn't mean you can't enjoy the models in spite of it.

daboarder
09-13-2013, 03:57 AM
Worthwhile has little to do with competitive. There are plenty of units which aren't considered 'competitive' but are still worth taking. there are also some units that just aren't worth taking because you spend a huge amount of points on something that just isn't very good at anything. Most of the FW eldar range, for example.:rolleyes: Doesn't mean you can't enjoy the models in spite of it.

Or most of the chaos space marines codex ;)

Learn2Eel
09-13-2013, 08:47 AM

I shouldn't even bother, but ok. I was hardly talking about what it would take to make it worthwhile, I was talking about what it would have to have to make it different from a Riptide, as in rules that separate it from my own expensive model. These models aren't cheap, and as cool as this thing is - and as much as I want to buy it - I may give it a miss if it isn't too dissimilar from a regular Riptide, due to financial reasons. I wanted to buy R'Varna as soon as I saw it. But of course, I am obviously only interested in how worthwhile it is on a competitive level :rolleyes:.

I'm not pretending anything. You are jumping at shadows and need to simmer down. I think the model is gorgeous and will probably pick it up regardless of the rules once I have the money. But if it doesn't do too much different than my Riptide, I may want to spend the money on getting a Wraithlord for my Eldar instead. Besides, again, it is hard to imagine how it is more heavily armoured than a Riptide considering the latter already has a 2+ armour save. And predictably, I commented on what should be obvious; without a jetpack, it must have some kind of beefy stat boost to its Toughness or wounds or saving throw to make up for it.

If you want to refer to me as a "rules-prick", then please indulge yourself on why I bought Ahriman and a Heldrake on the Chaos Space Marine release day despite having little or no confirmed reports of their rules. Please tell me why I started up a Thousand Sons army purely because I love the models. Please tell me why the Tervigons, Hive Tyrants, Trygons, Termagants and Zoanthrope I bought justify my existence as a "rules-prick" despite the fact I bought them because of their models.

Jumping to conclusions never does anyone any good.

So back to the main topic...

I am assuming that R'Varna is a HQ choice, which makes me wonder if (s)he will have drones - probably not, as (s)he appears not to be a jetpack unit. It would be a really cool HQ to have, methinks, if it is indeed the case. I doubt it will be an independent character though, we have O'Vesa for that.

Mr Mystery
09-13-2013, 08:55 AM
As per previous comment on a thread. Remember, this is neither Dakkadakka, nor Warseer. Keep it civil, especially when disagreeing with one another.

Learn2Eel
09-13-2013, 09:01 AM
How exactly am I not being civil mate? I haven't referred to him in a derogatory fashion and I have calmly responded to his post.

Mr Mystery
09-13-2013, 09:02 AM
It's the gifs dude. No need.

If someone is being obnoxious, just move on. Never feed anyone you suspect may be a troll.

Learn2Eel
09-13-2013, 09:05 AM
I got rid of it. I have a short temper, but I calm down pretty quickly; probably the only time you will ever notice that I am "angry" on a forum is if I am using GIFs lol.

I don't think the guy is a troll, he just (mistakenly) thinks I'm judging R'Varna solely on its potential rules.

Deadlift
09-13-2013, 09:12 AM
I got rid of it. I have a short temper, but I calm down pretty quickly; probably the only time you will ever notice that I am "angry" on a forum is if I am using GIFs lol.

I don't think the guy is a troll, he just (mistakenly) thinks I'm judging R'Varna solely on its potential rules.

To be fair matey, looking back over all your tactics you've written, you have always done a good job of giving any unit you have reviewed a fair crack of the whip. I'm sure if anyone could make this model work in an army you could ;)
Does that help justify the purchase.

Learn2Eel
09-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Hell yes! :) Depending on when I get it, I'll see if I can do an article solely to cover it. The model is just that awesome!

archimbald
09-13-2013, 10:56 AM
apparently, on the GW staff newsletter email, theres a bigger one yet to come for the tau. pinch of salt though, as i wasnt allowed to see the damn thing