PDA

View Full Version : when to cast Librarian powers

wolflold
09-11-2013, 01:34 AM
Hey im going to field a librarian with biomancy powers with stern guard in a drop pod. Now is my question, when the unit is available can i cast powers before i deep strike (because its the beginning of the movement phase), or has the Librarian be on the table to cast powers? If its the last option its kind of waste of librarian...plan was to hopefully have the relentless power thingy and 5 combi-gravguns, so i have a range of 18 with 15 grav shots!

Wolfshade
09-11-2013, 02:07 AM
If you cast powers before you deep strike you do so off the board and so they have no effect.

Page:67

On a turn that a psyker arrives from reserve (see page 124) he cannot attempt to manifest any psychic powers that must be manifested at the start of the Movement phase.

You need to be on the board already, you can witchfire, but no blessings

Hal
09-11-2013, 03:06 AM
And what about this bit from the FAQ:

Q: Blessings are manifested ‘at the start of the Psyker’s Movement phase’ – does this mean they happen simultaneously with Reserves rolls, Outflanking rolls etc and if so which is resolved first? (p68)
A: They do occur simultaneously – as such, the player whose turn it is decides in what order these things occur as per page 9 of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

Wolfshade
09-11-2013, 03:29 AM
It is what it says.

Imagine you had a spell that grants you +1 to your reserve rolls. A psyker who is on the table at the start of your player turn can cast that power before you roll for reserves.

The two aren't contradictory, it just allows already on the board pyskers to cast before reserves.

Consider a Librarian arriving by Deepstrike.

Start of Movement phase he is off the board. At this point he must cast blessings. These have no effect off board. Arrives via deepstrike, this is now after the start of his movement phase so cannot cast.

Katharon
09-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Silly, really. Everything should be taking place on the board. GW needs to fix the order of operations for this -- or at least make them even more clear than they already are; otherwise people will get more confused as new tactical ideas pop into people's heads and buts heads with the rule's semantics.

Stone Edwards
09-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Silly, really. Everything should be taking place on the board. GW needs to fix the order of operations for this -- or at least make them even more clear than they already are; otherwise people will get more confused as new tactical ideas pop into people's heads and buts heads with the rule's semantics.

The quote Wolfshade gave is pretty clear. Flatly says you can't cast blessings/maledictions/etc... the turn a psyker arrives from reserve. The FAQ is unrelated to this.

Wildcard
09-11-2013, 09:05 AM
What about casting blessings while locked in close combat at the start of the turn?

I don't have my rulebook here, but there are room for arguments in the wording about whether or not a model in close combat is actually having a 'start of his movement phase' ?

Wolfshade
09-11-2013, 09:17 AM
There is nothing stopping you as far as I recall as long as it isn't a shooting attack.

A model in CC does have a movement phase although it can't specifcally move as it is locked in close combat.