8 Honour Guard with power axes and Champion with Storm Hammer in a Drop Pod

Tigurius

10 Tactical Squad Grav, Combi-grav and Lascannon in a Drop Pod
10 Tactical Squad Grav, Combi-grav and Lascannon in a Drop Pod
10 Tactical Squad Melta, Combi-melta and Lascannon in a Drop Pod
10 Tactical Squad Melta, Combi-melta and Lascannon in a Drop Pod
10 Tactical Squad Grav, Combi-grav and Lascannon

10 Devastator Squad 4x Lascannon and Combi-grav

Turn 1 and 2 Tactical Doctrine. 3 Drop Pods (Calgar and Honour Guard), and two more (maybe melta or Grav Squads). All rerolls to hit in the two first turns. Calgar shot his orbital bomb. (Thanks to his armour).

Tigurius with the four Lascannon for boost them. And make the other 2 drop pods arrive in Turn 2. The non Drop pod Squad support them.

With Calgar no morale or pinning test for any of my space marine. And with combat squads we can take up to 10 troops.

What do you think? May it works?

Patrick Boyle
09-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Do you mean 7 honor guard with axes and the champion for 8 total models? Wouldn't fit in a pod otherwise, and I'd consider dropping one regardless for the chapter banner's +1 attack for the same price. You lose one guy's 5 attacks on the charge to gain 6 axe swings, another hammer swing and another swing from Calgar.

Otherwise, it seems like it should work pretty well in theory, though fliers generally and Heldrakes specifically will give you some trouble, though maybe not as much as I'm thinking between having either a second Tactical Doctrine or two uses of the Devastator Doctrine available after turn 1...Maybe drop a couple of the filler bodies and switch the Dev squad to missile launchers with flak?

Oh, and this is an odd idea but hear me out, possibly give half the Honor Guard power mauls? Reason being, yes, you'll ruin things like other marines and terminators pretty bad, but against large blobs like Ork boys and nids, the sheer weight of attacks that will get to go before you maybe drown you out before you get to swing. A couple mauls, or even just swords if you're worried that much about 3+ saves, striking at initiative on guys with the number of attacks honor guard get will ensure you blunt a good number of attacks before your enemy gets to swing. Just a thought.