View Full Version : Ultras 1850 Getting back into the game!!

KingCronan
09-10-2013, 11:51 AM
So i have been playing 40k off and on since third but have recently been living in china where there is not much 40k. But i will be heading back to the US soon and would love to get back in the saddle. Ultramarines are my first love and seeing the new codex it seems like they are gonna love me back! Gonna be pretty excited to dust them off. So here is my first stab at a list. I haven't gotten to play a game of 6th yet being in China and all but i have been keeping up to date with podcasts and websites so i feel not completely uninformed.

So here we go!

HQ
165 Tigurius: Divination

90 Librarian: Lvl 2, Telekinesis or Telepathy (input appreciated on this)

Troops
175 Tactical Squad(10): Lascannon, Plasma gun
-75 Razorback: Lascannon, Twin-linked plasma gun

-75 Razorback: Lascannon, Twin-linked plasma gun

Elites
250 Sternguard Squad(10): 2 Combi-meltas

Fast Attack
145 Stormtalon: Typhoon missile launcher

145 Stormtalon: Typhoon missile launcher

Heavy Support
150 Devastator Squad(5): 4 Lascannons

130 Devastator Squad(5): 4 Missile launchers

100 Thunderfire Cannon:

One of the tac squads will combat squad so each half can hang out with a razorback so i have 4 scoring units. the devastators and and thunderfire hang back blasting away while the sternguard go up front with the tacticals to dish out the pain and also draw fire away from my scoring units. tiggy and the librarian bounce around wherever needed dealing out buffs to probably mostly the sternguard and devastators. Finally the stormtalons fly around hunting other flyers and doing strafing runs. end game, if they are still alive, they would probably fly around to contest objectives and get line breaker. The trickiest thing will be target priority and learning how to delay big problem units by sacrificing mine as speed bumps at the right time since i have no close combat abilities. Also im scared that the razorbacks could easily give up first blood but i like the firepower that they bring so im kinda willing to risk it.

So let me know what y'all think!

chicop76
09-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Well I need to look at the new marine codex to really give input.

However I think telepathy is better.
Puppert master allows you to take a tank and shoot units, or a riptide, etc
Invisibility gives shrouding and stealth, negates overwatch and counter attack and lowers models to ws 1
Halucinate either makes a unit sit there or they can beat each other up, even activating force weapons to do so.
Psychic shriek is also a solid power
The other 3 powers are ok. Oh I forgot Terrify is really good since you can run down fearless units and have them run off the board. Terrify and psychic battle squads are a good combinationn.

I noticed a lot of lascannons. I think it would do poorly against swarm like armies like orcs. The thunderfire is the only antihorde weapon I see in your entire army. Which means horde armies will focus on your anti-horde and go from there.

Another problem I see is no anti air.

However if you was to face heavy MC's, tanks, and small elite armies I think you will do fine.

Anggul
09-10-2013, 04:21 PM
You don't have to choose your psychic disciplines in your army list. You can mix and match at the start of the game depending on your opponent. It makes Tigurius extremely flexible.

KingCronan
09-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Sounds like ill try out telepathy!

I noticed a lot of lascannons. I think it would do poorly against swarm like armies like orcs. The thunderfire is the only antihorde weapon I see in your entire army. Which means horde armies will focus on your anti-horde and go from there.

Well i also have 8 missile launcher shots that can shoot frag missiles, assault cannons, and the bolter shots from the tacticals and stern guard. All that combined with the thunderfire i thought would be enough. Maybe i can give one of the tactical squads a missile launcher and flamer.

Another problem I see is no anti air.

two stormtalons is not enough anti air? They have a 360 firing ark that makes it easy to deliver a twin-linked assault cannon and typhoon launcher to the rear armor of a flyer

Patrick Boyle
09-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Sounds like ill try out telepathy!

Well i also have 8 missile launcher shots that can shoot frag missiles, assault cannons, and the bolter shots from the tacticals and stern guard. All that combined with the thunderfire i thought would be enough. Maybe i can give one of the tactical squads a missile launcher and flamer.

two stormtalons is not enough anti air? They have a 360 firing ark that makes it easy to deliver a twin-linked assault cannon and typhoon launcher to the rear armor of a flyer

Since when does the Stormtalon have a 360 firing arc? You could make an argument that the Assault Cannon is turret mounted, but physically on the model it can't rotate and the weapons on the spars clearly can't rotate at all, and unless I completely missed something in the new book rules wise none of the weapons are turret mounted.

chicop76
09-11-2013, 09:16 AM
I mean real anti-air options, ones that are not easily killed. That being said I was thiniking landspeader for some dumb reason.

Looking at your list again you may want heavy divination since you are very shooty. Telepathy is real good for assault armies. However it is good if you get assaulted as well. If a bloodthirster assault unit x, you can throw invisibility on unit x before the assault and the Thirster would hit you on 5s while you hit him on 3s, kinda negates that ws 10. That being said melta bombs would come in handy for just that type of situation, misfortune is extra nice on divination which means that monster will have to re roll dem saves.

KingCronan
09-12-2013, 07:45 AM
Since when does the Stormtalon have a 360 firing arc? You could make an argument that the Assault Cannon is turret mounted, but physically on the model it can't rotate and the weapons on the spars clearly can't rotate at all, and unless I completely missed something in the new book rules wise none of the weapons are turret mounted.

I'm just acting on info that i heard on Podcasts and what not. I made the assumption that the assault cannons had a 360 ark because that's just what it looks like. then i was listening to Front line gaming's podcast (i think it was this last episode or the one before it) said that it had a 360 ark. maybe i just got confused when listening or something. But the assault cannons, to me, really do look like they can rotate around any which way.

Even if it doesn't have a 360 arc, 2 twin linked assault cannons and 4 missile shots from two storm talons (maybe with some psychic help?) seem good enough for me to try and take down some flyers.

KingCronan
09-12-2013, 07:46 AM
I mean real anti-air options, ones that are not easily killed. That being said I was thiniking landspeader for some dumb reason.

Looking at your list again you may want heavy divination since you are very shooty. Telepathy is real good for assault armies. However it is good if you get assaulted as well. If a bloodthirster assault unit x, you can throw invisibility on unit x before the assault and the Thirster would hit you on 5s while you hit him on 3s, kinda negates that ws 10. That being said melta bombs would come in handy for just that type of situation, misfortune is extra nice on divination which means that monster will have to re roll dem saves.

Unfortunately the only marine with access to divination is Tiggy. The standard librarian cannot get divination powers. If he could i would definitely have it on both of them haha

chicop76
09-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Unfortunately the only marine with access to divination is Tiggy. The standard librarian cannot get divination powers. If he could i would definitely have it on both of them haha

Sigh.

I always say divination, telepathy, and biomancy is your big 3. Biomancy is good for daemons and nids and ok for everyone else, enfeeble is where it's at.

That being said I been dabbling in pyromancy and find it's not bad at all. The beam attack is really good and the area blind is also really good.

Telepathy is still good anti anything since you can stop a Tau unit from shooting or stop a Daemon prince from assaulting you. If you can lower leadership terrify works against a lot of things. Psychic Shreik and terrify thinking about it more is real good anti-damon defense due to their low leadership, they are not fearless so it may not cause morale checks since they have instability. Would be cool if it causes instability have to look.

eris
09-13-2013, 06:44 AM
Finally the stormtalons fly around hunting other flyers and doing strafing runs. end game, if they are still alive, they would probably fly around to contest objectives and get line breaker.

Just an FYI.. Stormtalons can do neither of the things you've mentioned. They cannot contest, nor can they get linebreaker. This applies to all missions bar The Scouring.

Tynskel
09-13-2013, 06:51 AM
Just an FYI.. Stormtalons can do neither of the things you've mentioned. They cannot contest, nor can they get linebreaker. This applies to all missions bar The Scouring.

Stormtalons have Hover. They may contest.