PDA

View Full Version : What is the best AA for spacemarines

kire
09-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Now that we can all look at the codex what do you think the best way to deal with flyers is in the new codex

DWest
09-08-2013, 02:45 PM
While the new AA tanks are nice in theory, I still like the Stormtalon, with Cyclones or Lascannons to smash even tough fliers like the Vendetta/Hellturkey. Alternately, Telion on the Aegis Lascannon is hilarious, both for taking down fliers, and messing with other Reserves.

DarkLink
09-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Stalker or a SM Flyer. Hunter's too likely to miss, get negated by a cover save, or fail to roll well for damage with only one shot, even with Savant Lock. If the Hunter were 2-shot, then it would be a competition.

Katharon
09-08-2013, 06:33 PM
I voted for the stalker, but you forgot one thing: Devastator squad with 4 missile launchers and flak missiles.

kire
09-08-2013, 08:07 PM
I voted for the stalker, but you forgot one thing: Devastator squad with 4 missile launchers and flak missiles.

i realized that after i posted it but i don't think there is a way to edit a poll

LagCat
09-08-2013, 11:02 PM

What about 4 IF Devvies and a Quad-gun.... I think thats probably close to the top of it.

Cadian122
09-09-2013, 01:01 AM
I vote for the IF Devvies, although the Hunter and Stormtalon (Lascannon/*** Cannon) came close 2nd/3rd. I would also take the devvies with an Icarus Lascannon, but the Quad Gun with Tank Hunters sounds better.

Mr Mystery
09-09-2013, 05:17 AM
Stalker all the way. Cheap and cheerful, with the option to engage two fliers a turn? Yes please!

Plus, the weight of firepower will see it swat most stuff from the sky just by glancing.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-09-2013, 05:21 AM
I'm going to opt for my Twin-Linked Lascannon Razorback, for it has destroyed many aerial targets in it's service.
Hence the name "Spear of Lorin".

Learn2Eel
09-09-2013, 05:59 AM
I really like a combination of Imperial Fists Devastators behind an Aegis Line with a Quad Gun as well as a pair of Stormtalons with Skyhammers to cover my anti-air needs. That, and they thrash all manner of ground vehicles and don't take up too much of my force at all!

Eberk
09-09-2013, 11:33 AM
a Stalker... there can be no other answer.

This poll specifically is about AA, so all the other uses don't count (firing on ground targets for example).

And also take into account the point cost of the units... While a Stormtalon with twin-linked lascannon can be great versus flyers, it costs the same as 2 Stalkers.

Billyjoeray
09-09-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm going to vote for the Hunter. While sure the Stalker is great because it has more shots, but in the end it's just another quad gun without interceptor. The Hunter's missiles at least are AP 2, which combined with Armorbane gives it some pretty good chances to take out even the heaviest fliers. The fact that the hunter's missiles are AP2 also gives it a good chance of actually causing a wound on FMCs. That and it's dirt cheap.

I know that people will say that the stalker's ability to shoot 2 different targets makes it better, but as an Ork player, I know exactly what to realistically expect from BS2.

Pullo
09-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Hunter with Chronus... BS5, Str 7 Armourbane with a 33% chance of hitting in subsequent turns if you happen to miss first shot...

Pullo
09-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Hunter with Chronus... BS5, Str 7 Armourbane with a 33% chance of hitting in subsequent turns if you happen to miss first shot...

To follow up... that's for 120pts. Other than a standard Hunter or Stalker it's the cheaper than the other options shown.

The Imperial Fist
09-09-2013, 02:21 PM
I do love my devie's behind an ageis line and pumping out some good ol' firepower from the quad gun as well, but it's a very expensive option. I like the stalker, but only if I knew my enemy was taking a flyer or two.

Billyjoeray
09-09-2013, 04:37 PM
I would also like to point out that all these choices aren't exactly equivalent because they occupy different slots in the Force Organization Chart. So it really depends a lot on what else you would like to take in your army as well.

Pullo
09-09-2013, 05:47 PM
. I like the stalker, but only if I knew my enemy was taking a flyer or two.

Stormtalon might be a good choice then, it's lightly armored but it does get BS5 if shooting at ground targets. So if you play against either a flyer or no you can still get some effectiveness.

Muninwing
09-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Mortis Contemptor with Cyclone and either dual TT las cannons or (for dual use vs troops) dual Kheres assault cannons.

Cadian122
09-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Mortis Contemptor with Cyclone and either dual TT las cannons or (for dual use vs troops) dual Kheres assault cannons.

I'm fielding the Cyclone + Assault Cannons, mainly because Flyers aren't higher than av12, and 12 shots at S6/Rending will get a couple of penetrating hits a turn. I do know that it is only a range of 24", but the cyclone should be able to do enough if the flyer is out of range (i.e. stop it from shooting)

I don't have my rulebook with me, if a model intercepts with one gun, can it fire another in its next shooting phase (i.e. the contemptor can't fire its Assault Cannons, but does fire its Cyclone Missile Launcher, can it still fire its Assault Cannons in its next turn?)

The Firestorm has gotten no votes, I'm not really surprised, while it is an awesome model, its rules are too restrictive (for its cost), and it is a big target. in larger games (where I can afford 200 points to throw on it) I would take it, but the one I have is more an Apocalypse-Only model.

kire
09-09-2013, 08:43 PM
the firestorm is good for orks since they have such terrible BS. for space marines not so much

moongob
09-10-2013, 04:56 AM
I don't have my rulebook with me, if a model intercepts with one gun, can it fire another in its next shooting phase (i.e. the contemptor can't fire its Assault Cannons, but does fire its Cyclone Missile Launcher, can it still fire its Assault Cannons in its next turn?)
Yes. The interception rule is on weapon not model so only weapons that are use for interception are denied to fire during our following turn.

Fenriryan
09-10-2013, 05:04 AM
I gotta say the Stalker seems the most effective option - mobile, reasonable armour, enough shots to glance it down if not pen it down, and can potentially take down 2 a turn with its 8 shots.

But my favourite AA moment to date is when my single Grey Hunter with a plasma gun, sole survivor of his unit - blew up a Stormtalon with a single long range shot. I did not see another 6 for the rest fo that game, but karma had to balance that one out somehow!

Katharon
09-10-2013, 05:38 AM
I gotta say the Stalker seems the most effective option - mobile, reasonable armour, enough shots to glance it down if not pen it down, and can potentially take down 2 a turn with its 8 shots.

4 shots, not 8.

Mr Mystery
09-10-2013, 07:34 AM
8 if it splits. Otherwise, it's 4, twin linked.

Katharon
09-10-2013, 09:09 AM
8 if it splits. Otherwise, it's 4, twin linked.

That's not broken...not at all...(especially if you spend 50 points on Chronus)

Can't let the Imperial Guard have all the fun, gotta make a bigger and better AA platform for the SPEISS MAREENS! *facepalm*

AirHorse
09-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Except it fires the two lots of 4 shots at bs2 if it splits and is forced to choose two separate targets, so its a genuine tradeoff. Chronus isn't that great in a stalker tbh!