PDA

View Full Version : Destroyed-Wrecked

DarkLink
11-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Something I noticed about the Wrecked damage result:

"All passengers must immediately disembark... ... Any models that cannot disembark are destroyed..."

I'd always thought that getting trapped destroyed the whole unit, but it seems only the models that cannot be placed are destroyed.

Nabterayl
11-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Uh, models only is certainly how I've always read the rules. Just goes to show, it's always worth re-checking the rulebook every now and then.

Lerra
11-20-2009, 04:45 PM
I've seen people confuse this rule with the deep strike mishap rules. If any part of the unit can't be placed legally after a deep strike, the whole unit mishaps. You can save part of a squad from a destroyed or wrecked vehicle, though :)

DarkLink
11-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I never knew that it was models.

Of course, I don't think this has ever actually come up in any of my games. No wonder I never noticed it.

Lord Azaghul
11-23-2009, 07:41 AM
I think the rule really only comes into play where there aren't a lot of access points, like a chimera vs a rhino. and if something like another squad or vehicle is near the access point.
In the chimera you've only the rear of the model, and the 'within 2" ' part. A rhino has access points on all sides, so there is no question of models. That being said - thanks to the generous 2" you can be a 10men squad out the door - barring casualties form the explosion of course.

SombreBrotherhood
11-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Even the # of access points is unimportant. After you examine the model, the 'emergency disembarkation' sub-rule lets you bail out anywere within 2" of the hull itself if your access points are blocked, as your dudes scramble out of top hatches and/or the hole the vindicator shell just made.

Mycroft Holmes
11-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Even with emergency disembark you can get a bunch of models destroyed. I almost got this to happen by surrounding and assaulting a full rhino that was surrounded by terrain and other units.

BuFFo
11-24-2009, 02:03 AM
its funny...

In 4th, the entire unit was destroyed during a wrecked result.

In 5th, people understand its just a model, and not the unit anymore with no problem...

But when it comes to pinning, people seem to still see the word 'unit' when the rule has been changed to basically, single models/weapons. as well.

lol, I think I may have derailed this thread badly, but that wasn't my goal... Just pointing out something curious I have noticed since 5th ed came out...

As far as Transports, yeah, its nearly impossible to kill a unit in a transport anymore. I haven't done so yet, as the models can pop out, basically, 3" from the access points, or, pop out within the crater left by the vehicle... Either way, the most important models always survive...

karandras
11-24-2009, 03:13 PM
emergency disembarkation is what happens on a destroyed result... if you manage a wrecked result the transported unit is forced to disembark as normal and take a pinning test... any models that cannot disembark are destroyed...

Duke
11-24-2009, 04:13 PM
IM tempted to agree with Karandras, though Ill check the rule book when I get home.

on another note:
Also a thing to note. If you surround a vehicle and it explodes (reult = 6) the models inside must make an emergency disembark move, if they cannot then they are place in the crater where the tank was and CANNOT DO ANYTHING.... This is especially fun against 'fearless,' enemies. It may not kill the whole unit, but it will stop them from going anywhere.

Duke

Nabterayl
11-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Neither wrecked nor explodes (both flavors of "destroyed") force an emergency disembarkation. Wrecked forces a regular disembarkation, which, if the terrain and/or enemies are placed right, may become an emergency disembarkation. Explodes just places the passengers where the vehicle was, and we may infer that any that cannot be placed are destroyed. Double-check page 67.

Eyespy
11-24-2009, 05:07 PM
How does this affect Fast skimmers moving over 12"? Models may not disembark from those at all.

Nabterayl
11-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Strictly speaking, I don't think that's true. Page 70 says "Passengers may not embark onto or disembark from a fast vehicle if it has moved (or is going to move) flat out in that Movement phase." The "that Movement phase" referred to is pretty clearly the vehicle's own Movement phase. So there's nothing to prevent disembarking during the opponent's turn, even if the vehicle did move Flat Out during its previous Movement phase.

BuFFo
11-25-2009, 06:29 AM
Neither wrecked nor explodes (both flavors of "destroyed") force an emergency disembarkation. Wrecked forces a regular disembarkation, which, if the terrain and/or enemies are placed right, may become an emergency disembarkation. Explodes just places the passengers where the vehicle was, and we may infer that any that cannot be placed are destroyed. Double-check page 67.

Yes you are correct.

Emergency Disembarkation is actually a rarity in 40k, just as killing entire units anymore from a destroyed/wrecked vehicle....