PDA

View Full Version : Shooting nearest target 6th Ed

Rough Touch
09-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Me and my friends started playing 40 again after about 15 years!

we are a bit rusty, one of my friends thinks you need to shoot the nearest target
so troops need to shoot the nearest enemy unit. Or if its a large unit you have to shoot the Nearest large unit.

but this seems wrong to me...I play grey knights and I just get a dreadnought with a dread knight 1 inc behind it until its in jump range and then just go for it.

the same with troops

cheap in front of nice troops

are we doing this right? :confused:

Dave Mcturk
09-06-2013, 12:13 PM
nope... was 3rd ed or mb even 2nd ... had to pass leadership test to shoot anything but nearest..

6th ed... shoot anything you want ! ... even focus fire on parts of units in open !

casualties / hits are taken on nearest enemy figures ... with some exceptions

cover saves are lower... so BLAST AWAY ...

DarkLink
09-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Nope, you don't need to shoot the closest unit.

You allocate wounds to the closest model, but you can shoot any unit in range and line of sight.

Edit: it was there in 4th, iirc. And you couldn't shoot unattached ICs that were in 6" of another unit or something.

DWest
09-06-2013, 12:50 PM
I remember Target Priority being a big thing in 3rd . . . and the hilarity of parking a naked Wraithlord at the front of my army, and watching faces fall when my opponent's troops couldn't test out of shooting at it and didn't have enough S to damage it.

Rough Touch
09-06-2013, 01:49 PM
thanks! I will Blast away lol don't know what to do with my dreadknight now just jump on in there , deepstrike or just get a shooty one.
im thinking greatsword, incinerator, Heavy Psycannon (not sure about that) and teleporter. or is that to much points?

DWest
09-06-2013, 02:51 PM
I think that might be getting too expensive for what you're getting-- that's nudging 300 points, and will be too much of a fire magnet to earn its keep. Teleporter+Greatsword is an extremely powerful combo, as you need to handle it *right now* or it will start slicing up your expensive stuffs. Otherwise, I've seen it work well with just the Heavy Psycannon as an artillery + backfield protector. The Incinerator is nice, but not essential.

daboarder
09-06-2013, 04:04 PM
I remember Target Priority being a big thing in 3rd . . . and the hilarity of parking a naked Wraithlord at the front of my army, and watching faces fall when my opponent's troops couldn't test out of shooting at it and didn't have enough S to damage it.

That was 4th, 3rd ed you couldn't shoot through units, Hillarious as a Nid player. Not so much for everyone else.

Cactus
09-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Yeah, Necromunda had the same rule too.

Rough Touch
09-07-2013, 12:50 AM
ohhhhhhh Necromunda!

we still play that some times

easy to set up and play in 2 hours
Nice one Cactus that's where its come from

Katharon
09-07-2013, 01:03 AM
ohhhhhhh Necromunda!

Good man. I miss a lot of the specialty games that they no longer provide for at GW.

daboarder
09-07-2013, 01:21 AM
we've got a campaign going in sydney at the moment, they wouldnt let me take my van saar :( so i took my escher :D then my plasma heavy rolled up two -1T after the first game....:(

Wildcard
09-07-2013, 02:54 AM
About Nemesis Dreadknight and its loadout:

Whenever possible i try to take atleast two (got more models, but usually points in our games don't allow taking them)

- Teleporter is a must (for many reasons, some of which depend on your strategy)
- Sword is nearly as important, because of the points you invest, and with not so many attacks, you just need to get every hit, wound and armor penetration roll through.

About the ranged weaponry:
Heavy incinerator is so much better than incinerator is when compared to how much better the heavy psycannon is to the normal psycannon.

- I tend to put only heavy incinerators on them, mostly to save points. But also because you should have psycannons already on other units and the torrent rule (and flamer rule in general) gives you huge advantage of clearing enemy snipers / objective holders in ruins high up or backfield. Something you cant rely heavy psycannons on doing.

Cactus
09-07-2013, 09:48 AM
ohhhhhhh Necromunda!

My friends and I have a bad habit of keeping a juve as a meat shield to protect our more valuable gangers, heavys and leaders. My best friend has a model in every gang named, "Scissors" that just runs ahead of the rest of the gang to provide "cover."