PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Terrain and vehicles

trichloro
09-06-2013, 07:22 AM
Issues came up in a game, a vehicle took a dangerous terrain test and got a 1. The vehicle had and invulerable save and passed it. Now is the vehicle still immobilzed even though it saved it? Or does the save only prevent loss of the hull point? Or do I keep moving since I made the save?
Thanks.

Wolfshade
09-06-2013, 08:49 AM
The invulnverable save mitigates all affects of dangerous terrain. Keep moving, do not drop 1 HP do not become invulnerable.

Dave Mcturk
09-06-2013, 09:46 AM
'starship enterprise' ... flies through suns, flies through planets ... no effect !

define some terrain as 'impassable' to ALL vehicles if you want to stop them...

ORCZ get a re-roll with a 5pt ram... !
[i think it reflects the confidence/recklessness of the driver... not the armour/shielding of the vehicle]

Nabterayl
09-06-2013, 10:00 AM
The rulebook isn't 100% clear, but I agree with Wolfshade. Strictly speaking, the only way you can take an invulnerable save against a vehicle is against a glancing or penetrating hit - as page 17 says:

Invulnerable saves are different to armour saves because they may always be taken whenever the model suffers a Wound or, in the case of vehicles, suffers a penetrating or glancing hit. (emphasis added)

So the question is, does a Dangerous Terrain test count as a penetrating hit?

As errata'd by the FAQ (https://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3170233a_40K_RULEBOOK_v1.4_APRIL13.pdf), the Dangerous Terrain rule for vehicles is now:

A vehicle that fails a Dangerous Terrain test immediately suffers an Immobilised result from the Vehicle Damage table, including losing one Hull Point.

But note that the Immobilised result on the Vehicle Damage table does not actually tell you to lose a hull point. It is the "Penetrating Hits" rule (also on page 74, same page as the Vehicle Damage table) that tells us to lose a hull point. So the only way for "an Immobilised result from the Vehicle Damage table" to "include" losing one Hull Point, as page 71 says, is if a failed Dangerous Terrain test is a penetrating hit that always results in Immobilised. Because it's a penetrating hit, an invulnerable save may be taken against it, per page 17.

trichloro
09-06-2013, 10:37 AM
The rulebook isn't 100% clear, but I agree with Wolfshade. Strictly speaking, the only way you can take an invulnerable save against a vehicle is against a glancing or penetrating hit - as page 17 says:

Invulnerable saves are different to armour saves because they may always be taken whenever the model suffers a Wound or, in the case of vehicles, suffers a penetrating or glancing hit. (emphasis added)

So the question is, does a Dangerous Terrain test count as a penetrating hit?

As errata'd by the FAQ (https://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3170233a_40K_RULEBOOK_v1.4_APRIL13.pdf), the Dangerous Terrain rule for vehicles is now:

A vehicle that fails a Dangerous Terrain test immediately suffers an Immobilised result from the Vehicle Damage table, including losing one Hull Point.

But note that the Immobilised result on the Vehicle Damage table does not actually tell you to lose a hull point. It is the "Penetrating Hits" rule (also on page 74, same page as the Vehicle Damage table) that tells us to lose a hull point. So the only way for "an Immobilised result from the Vehicle Damage table" to "include" losing one Hull Point, as page 71 says, is if a failed Dangerous Terrain test is a penetrating hit that always results in Immobilised. Because it's a penetrating hit, an invulnerable save may be taken against it, per page 17.

Thank you, that makes sense. Forgot they FAQed Invul saves.