PDA

View Full Version : Tank Hunter and Rending

Apalosaa
09-05-2013, 07:00 AM
If a weapon has the rending special rule and it has the tank hunter special rule would you be allowed to re roll the armor penetration die for both the initial die to get a 6 for a rend and then follow that up with an additional re-roll for the Rend roll considering they are both an armor penetration roll?

They are two separate rolls so it is not re-rolling a re-roll.

And they are both armor pen die rolls.

Kaptain Badrukk
09-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Nah, the REND roll merely determines the bonus strength of the rend and is not in itself a penetration roll.
But the initial roll is for armor penetration and so therefore should benefit.
My thoughts anyway.

Wolfshade
09-05-2013, 07:25 AM
My take on it is that there are "two dice" in play.

There is the Armour Penetration roll, which is your natural die roll, if that fails/glances then as per the Tankhunter you may re-roll that. If the Armour Penetration roll is a 6 then you get an additional D3 which is because of rending. This additional rending die is not the Armour Penetration die but a bonus die that is a result of the AP roll. If that makes sense.

Now traditionally, a re-roll could be for any failed dice, but the wording of Tank Hunter says that it is the AP roll itself not any bonus dice associated with it.

DarkLink
09-05-2013, 07:47 AM
The bonus dice requires you to roll a 6 immediately before hand. If you discard the 6 dice in order to reroll, you also discard the bonus dice. You just have to hope to roll a 6 again.

Nabterayl
09-05-2013, 08:11 AM
My take on it is that there are "two dice" in play.

There is the Armour Penetration roll, which is your natural die roll, if that fails/glances then as per the Tankhunter you may re-roll that. If the Armour Penetration roll is a 6 then you get an additional D3 which is because of rending. This additional rending die is not the Armour Penetration die but a bonus die that is a result of the AP roll. If that makes sense.

Now traditionally, a re-roll could be for any failed dice, but the wording of Tank Hunter says that it is the AP roll itself not any bonus dice associated with it.
This is my interpretation as well. No re-roll on the die you get because of rending.

Apalosaa
09-05-2013, 12:13 PM
So the way it has been Explained to me ad does seem fair however, a bit convoluted. ill give it a try to explain.

Ok, So example: Riptide Heavy burst on Nova charge with joined Commander for Tank Hunter Vs Landraider.

12 shots, three roll sixes, roll the d3 for the sixes any that are pen or glance do not receive re-roll, any that do not go back into the re-roll pile per tank hunter and are re-rolled with the already failed armor pen die.

So in theory you are only getting a re-roll on die that do not result in a pen or glance.

Does anyone see this as a problem or is this the way it should be played?

DarkLink
09-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Tank Hunters specifically states that you only reroll failed to penetrate rolls.

If you reroll a 6, the rending dice disappears and you have to roll another 6.

Wolfshade
09-05-2013, 04:25 PM
I thought it said that you could chose to re-roll glancing hits, though my rule book is upstairs and I and the biscuits are downstairs

DarkLink
09-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Yes, you can reroll glances.

But, say you have one str 6 rending shot. You roll for damage against AV14.

If you fail to roll a 6, you can reroll that because you failed to penetrate.

If you roll a 6, then you get your D3. If you get 6+1, you fail to penetrate, so you reroll and hope to roll another 6 and then roll a 2-3 on your bonus D3(if you get lucky enough to roll another six).

If you get your 6, and you get a 2, you glance, and you can choose to reroll in the hopes of a pen, but you still have to roll a 6 and then hope to roll a 3 on you D3, so you should probably keep it.

If you roll a 6, then a 3, you pen, and you cannot reroll even if you wanted to.

Nabterayl
09-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Agreed. Specifically, to highlight:

If you roll a 6, then you get your D3. If you get 6+1, you fail to penetrate, so you reroll and hope to roll another 6 and then roll a 2-3 on your bonus D3(if you get lucky enough to roll another six).
As DL says, what you cannot do here is keep the 6 and re-roll the D3. You can only re-roll the 6, and if you get another 6, you get to roll another D3.

Wolfshade
09-06-2013, 01:56 AM
It seems we are all in agreement here.

Internet must be broken.

DarkLink
09-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Where's Tynskel?

Tynskel
09-07-2013, 05:18 AM
Where's Tynskel?

I disagree!
What are we talking about, again?

Tynskel
09-07-2013, 05:20 AM
It seems pretty obvious to me:

The rending die roll is a conditional upon the original die roll. If you re-roll the original die roll, the results from the rending are immediately discarded.

DarkLink
09-07-2013, 12:49 PM
I disagree!
What are we talking about, again?

Nuh-uh.