PDA

View Full Version : National Cycle to Work Day 12th September

Wolfshade
09-05-2013, 06:22 AM
As some of you know I do quite a bit of cycling and next Thursday is the "National Cycle to Work Day".

What is it?

As ronseal famously said: "it does exactly what it says on the tin".
The idea is that people are encouraged for just one day to commute to work by bike, trike, unicycle.

What do I have to do?
Nothing, but you could cycle to work and if you wanted to pledge to do so on the website : https://www.cycletoworkday.org/ and be in with the chance to win some "fabulous" prizes.

This day aims to see more than a million people from across the UK, including multiple gold medal winning Paralympian Dame Sarah Storey, taking part in the biggest-ever national 'Cycle to Work Day'. This is the goal of Cyclescheme, the UK’s leading provider of tax-free bikes for work.

Census data shows 760,000 people now cycle to work regularly (an increase of 110,000 from 2001) - Cyclescheme's ambition is to see this number increase even further on Cycle to Work Day and continue to grow throughout 2013 and beyond with an ambition of hitting one million regular cycle commuters by 2021.

Cyclescheme research has shown that over 50% of commuting journeys are less than five miles – this makes most cycle commutes less than 30 minutes – so for most of us cycling is a viable alternative to taking the car, bus or train to work. The NHS says that cycling can burn up to 650 calories an hour too, making cycling a great way to keep fit and get the recommended 150 minutes of exercise each week.

https://www.cycletoworkday.org/files/downloads/downloadable-documents/ctwd-logo.png

Psychosplodge
09-05-2013, 06:51 AM
1) I'd have to dig it out the garage, there's more or less a garage worth of stuff on it.
2) that assumes it still works.
3) it's uphill both ways
4) No doubt it'll be raining ¬_¬

Kirsten
09-05-2013, 06:52 AM
I live about 50 yards from my work...

Wolfshade
09-05-2013, 06:58 AM
See I think Kirsten has the better excuse.

Hills are fun, set your cadance and adjust your gearing to suit. Modern technology has invented marvellous things called waterproofs...

Psychosplodge
09-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Yeah but my car is reasonably waterproof, and has a cd player...
And theres not really anywhere to hang them to dry at work.

Kaptain Badrukk
09-05-2013, 07:10 AM
If I owned a bicycle I would.
I really want a recumbent trike,
but A) they're rather expensive
and B) my wife said she'd disown me for taking the final step into irretrievable geekdom, and i'm only 95% sure she was joking.
Mostly A).

Wolfshade
09-05-2013, 07:43 AM
Splogy you have acutally raised a sensible point.

There is a hell of a lot of barriers to cycling to work. Sustrans has a manifesto:

A cycle-to-work standard should include:
1.Adequate bike parking
2.Showering facilities
3.Lockers
4.Buy a bike through work
5.Incentivised business travel by bike
6.Maps and information on safe routes
7.Basic stuff for staff to borrow: locks, lights, waterproofs
8.A group of cycling colleagues available for help and advice

I agree with *most* of these points, #7 I am unconvinced with.

Recumbets are great http://road.cc/sites/default/files/imagecache/preview_500/images/eurobike%202013%20Recumbent%20gallery%20including% 20Scorpion%20and%20ICE%20and%20Catrike/ice%20recumbent%20club%20racer.JPG

80% of effort is used to combat wind resistance, and recumbents create far less drag than even the most cutting edge aero design.

Psychosplodge
09-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Splogy you have actually raised a sensible point.

Don't I always?

Kaptain Badrukk
09-05-2013, 07:56 AM
TBH i just find the upright bike is not ideally designed for someone with short legs and a long torso.
Plus I prefer the trike's design for carrying stuff, after all it'd be my primary mode of transport (being a non-driver) and so I'd use it to get to games etc and they're much better for taking carry cases etc on.
Plus i'm getting on, I need the back support.

Psychosplodge
09-05-2013, 07:59 AM
You're not going to get 400litres of space on the back of a trike...

Kaptain Badrukk
09-05-2013, 08:09 AM
True, I may have to leave the inquisitor scale warlord titan at home too.
Damn, now I want one of those.

Wildeybeast
09-05-2013, 11:15 AM
I would cycle to work if my place had showers, but it doesn't and the 'sweaty peado' look doesn't come across particularly well in a school environment.

Wolfshade
09-05-2013, 04:26 PM
If my work didn't have showers I wouldn't do it, but then having said that I've been putting in some loops so I've doubled my journey length :)

Wolfshade
09-10-2013, 03:49 AM
Well two days to go, I hope you all have your plans ready :D

Graham Obree is:
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/69730000/jpg/_69730170_obree-1.jpg

Wolfshade
09-11-2013, 05:51 AM
Just around the corner now and my company is providing bacon butties for those who cycle in :) Result!