PDA

View Full Version : 2k Blob Guard ... Thoughts?

Whereswaldo
09-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Lord Commissar (Power Axe) – 80 {Attached to the Infantry Platoon with Power Axes & Flamers}

Storm Trooper Squad (Sergeant, 4 Storm Troopers, 2 Melta Guns) – 105 {Deploys using Deep Strike}
Storm Trooper Squad (Sergeant, 4 Storm Troopers, 2 Melta Guns) – 105 {Deploys using Deep Strike}

Platoon Command Squad (Platoon Commander, 4 Guardsmen, 4 Flamers) – 50 {Deployed inside a Vendetta}

Infantry Squad (Sergeant with Power Axe, 9 Guardsmen, Flamer) – 65

Platoon Command Squad (Platoon Commander, 4 Guardsmen, 4 Flamers) – 50 {Deployed inside a Vendetta}

Infantry squad (Sergeant, 9 Guardsmen, Flamer, Autocannon) – 65
Infantry squad (Sergeant, 9 Guardsmen, Autocannon) – 60

Infantry squad (Sergeant, 9 Guardsmen, Autocannon) – 60

Vendetta – 130
Vendetta – 130
Vendetta – 130

Aegis Defense Line (Quad Gun) – 100

= 2000

Cadian122
09-04-2013, 08:15 PM
I'd take Grenade Launchers instead of the Flamers on the Autocannon Squads, the 315 points spent on the Storm Troopers would get you another Platoon (I'm not a huge fan of Storm Troopers at the moment, too expensive) The Combat Blob does seem like a pretty cool unit (I think every guard player has thought of fielding one or something similar). Maybe drop the Storm Troopers for some Rough Riders (105 points/10-man squad), use the combat blob to draw the charge, then counter-charge with the Rough Riders (I do something similar, but with a 20-man shooting blob).
I like the list though, I've just suggested what I would do with something similar. (My 2k Blob list is in fact nothing but infantry, I think I've managed to get upwards of 250 models on the table).
One thing that will need checking, the Command squads in Vendettas, I could be wrong (and am happy to be proved wrong), but I'm pretty sure the whole platoon has to deploy together, or it must start in reserve together, and come on as one entity.
Apart from that, pretty solid, and there will be a ton of anti-tank weapons crying at that list.

Katharon
09-04-2013, 10:37 PM
1) Lose the stormtroopers and add in some heavy weapon squads.

2) A Primaris Psyker is a better investment than a Lord Commissar.

3) Adding in commissars at the platoon level is much more effective than a single Lord Commissar.

4) For this kind of infantry list, a Company Command Squad is both cheaper and better suited -- taking advantage of the IG's ability to give orders to their troops that makes them multiple times more effective. If you do put in a CCS, leave it naked; no upgrades or special weapons, except for maybe a mortar or a lascannon.

5) Never. freaking. put. heavy. weapons. inside. a. regular. infantry. squad. Just don't do it. It puts the heavy weapon in a place where it won't be effective and ultimately wastes the points you put into that weapon. Putting them into heavy weapon squads is more effective, especially since your blob squads are suppose to be marching up the field to attack something en masse in CC. (Again the platoon level commissars work wonderfully for keeping a squad from breaking and running when stuck in CC).

6) Get rid of the special weapons in the Platoon Command Squads. They're only mission should be to deliver orders to your blob squads. They're not even BS 4 like the Veterans and Company Command Squads, so they are rather a waste when you put them so far away from their assigned squads and give them weapons that they aren't likely going to live long enough to use, let alone fire correctly.

7) 3 x Vendettas...makes you That Guy. You're opponents will hate you, but if that doesn't matter much and you prefer the winning, then keep them. If not, and you don't wish to be That Guy, then drop one and add in some more heavy weapon squads. They're cheaper and can be given orders by the platoon and company officers.

8) If you do take Rough Riders like Cadian122 suggested, then make sure you upgrade the squad sergeant to Mogul Kamir; otherwise they are a waste of points and won't make it into CC before being shot to hell and running away because of low leadership.

9) Mix the heavy weapons between a 2 to 1 ratio of autocannons to missile launchers; that way you can at least glance Armor 14 targets with them and make them extra worried.

@Cadian122: The component parts of a platoon are a single troop choice, but do not have to be deployed together on the field or within a certain distance of each other. However, they have to be deployed at the same time (march on together) -- so correct, you can't put them in flyers that aren't going to be there until Turn 2 or later.

Katharon
09-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Oh, and lose the power axes. The most they should have are a few power swords, or the cheapest other option. I would also suggest krak grenades for all squads and a melta bomb here or there.

Cadian122
09-04-2013, 11:14 PM
7) 3 x Vendettas...makes you That Guy. You're opponents will hate you, but if that doesn't matter much and you prefer the winning, then keep them. If not, and you don't wish to be That Guy, then drop one and add in some more heavy weapon squads. They're cheaper and can be given orders by the platoon and company officers.

8) If you do take Rough Riders like Cadian122 suggested, then make sure you upgrade the squad sergeant to Mogul Kamir; otherwise they are a waste of points and won't make it into CC before being shot to hell and running away because of low leadership.

9) Mix the heavy weapons between a 2 to 1 ratio of autocannons to missile launchers; that way you can at least glance Armor 14 targets with them and make them extra worried.

@Cadian122: The component parts of a platoon are a single troop choice, but do not have to be deployed together on the field or within a certain distance of each other. However, they have to be deployed at the same time (march on together) -- so correct, you can't put them in flyers that aren't going to be there until Turn 2 or later.
Hear Hear...

@Katharon, I'm guessing you play Death Korps? Playing them has made me re-jig my Cadian army so the Infantry Squads don't have heavy weapons. I'm with you on the command squad tactics, while the 4x Flamer command Squad spam is nice, I prefer to keep them cheap for the Orders.
@wheresaldo, never underestimate First Rank, Fire, Second Rank, Fire! that has won me games, nothing scares your opponent to realise that one of his squads is suddenly taking 60+ (in my case 120+) lasgun shots, that makes even the most battle-hardened Marine player clench his sphincter so tight when he realises that his "unkillable" Terminator Assault Squad (usually with Lysander or someone similar) is taking 120 Lasgun shots (+ 5 Laspistol Shots, + 5 Grenade Launcher shots) to the face. And yes, a Company Command Squad can issue that order as well, but it's better issuing orders along the lines of "Bring it Down" or "Fire on my Target" on the H/W squads, not to mention (in my armies anyway) I mob up the platoons into one squad + Command/H/W Squads, so the platoon command (who can only issue one order) just issues "First Rank Fire...", and never underestimate the 10 point costs for the vox caster (2x5, one on the command, one on an infantry squad) that gives you that re-roll.

I am a huge fan of Commissars though, I always take my Commissar Lord (or Commissar-General in DKoK) as my second HQ choice.

Mogul Kamir is a good purchase, (I always take him), but my point was 15 stormtroopers=30 Rough Riders. When I get around to it, I'll post my 2,000 Cadian Infantry Blob list on here and link it in.

Katharon
09-05-2013, 01:05 AM
@Cadian122: No, I've never played Death Korps of Krieg. However, I know better than to mix specializations up to the point where you detract from the effectiveness of a unit. And if I were to be spamming weapons in a Platoon Command Squad, I'd have taken plasma guns. Far more bang for your buck -- and who cares if they might get hot? The fact that you might have a 9pt Guardsman kill a 40pt Terminator is too good to pass up.

Cadian122
09-05-2013, 01:10 AM
Although I have used 3x Flamers + Heavy Flamer, hidden the unit near my Battleline, moment an Ork/Nid swarm gets near, roasty toasty, but I get really stingy with points now. I used to field squads with heavy bolters + grenade launchers, then when I went back to my Cadians after the Death Korps, I realised how static my Cadians were since then, and I'm in the process of re-jigging the army (3 Infantry + 1 Heavy Weapons Companies is a lot of work) to keep the Heavy Weapons separate to the proper Infantry squads.

chicop76
09-07-2013, 12:19 AM
I have faced and ran similar list. Here are my inputs for your list.

1. I agree with dropping the lord. It is better run commissars in the squads rather than using a lord. If you are doing one blob than it 's not an issue. If you are doing multiple blobs than you should.use multiple commissiars.

2. Keep the storm troopers. The deepstriking melta shots with re rolling deep strike is very effective. They help deal with units like landraiders. I seen them used this way and they are worth while as tank poppers.

3. Keep the axes, again with nids and daemons I lost models due to the axes. A 50 man squad with axes can tear up a Bloodthirster, unless it has a +2 invulnerable save. Even so it helps you deal with terminators etc, sister allies with Jacobs is really awesome due to fnp and +1 attack for the blob and re roll hits on the charge.

4. If the autocannon squads are meant for long range than you should take grenade launchers over flamers.

5. It is more cost effective to put hvy weapons with your squads. However a lord solves the low leadership issues from the heavy weapons teams. Which means you have a heavy weapon that is harder to kill, but dishing out less shots. I don't see anything wrong wit how you are running your heavy weapons, but I think it would be better for you to take the hvy weapons teams seperate using the lord to boost their leadership. Than again since they are run as 3 leadership isn't a problem unless they are hit with a psychic power like terrify. It depends on what you want to do. I take them in squads, but I can see the benefit in taking them in teams as well.

I see a lot of flamers which is good, but I think some extra melta coming from the guys jumping out of the vendettas would help, 2 flamer squads should be good, 3 seem a bit much, can never have enough melta though

4. I think a psyker would really do litle to benefit you really unless you take an ally which can grant prescience. However a command hq which can allow your guys to get back into the fight after going to ground would be helpful, especially if you hidding behind an aegis.