PDA

View Full Version : New Space Marine Captain model -- Say what?

Tau2007
08-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Hi all,
I am not one of those who love to bash GW. I don't hate them. I realize that they are a business, not a charity. LOL

But I have to admit that they have me stumped with the new Space Marine Captain model. It's as if they took the Captain from Black Reach and the "Cato Sicarius" models, mashed them together, and added a "combi-grav gun." $30 USD for a static figure with no choice beyond head or helmet.

The Commander figure, with many options, is still available for $22.25 USD.

Who would choose to buy the Captain? What am I not getting here?

Cheers,
Tau2007

SON OF ROMULOUS
08-30-2013, 10:19 PM
forget it they all look just like the AOB and VEngance characters.... yes they are plastic but no weapon or bits options... so ya limited conversion options unless you want to saw them apart... seriously the old captian had more options with it and was cheaper... i will not be buying this one.. it can sit with my AOB ones sorry not interested in any of them at all. They look like they will need to be sawed apart and honestly if you don't have the bits you won't even be able to use them... who the heck wants a combi weapon and a power weapon or a bolter on a model with no options to remove them.... yay more forced unoptions

eldargal
08-30-2013, 10:36 PM
New one is much prettier than the multi-bits one.

Lexington
08-31-2013, 12:51 AM
Ick, yeah. Used to be able to get 95% of that Captain for $5 out of a broken-up Black Reach box. Probably still can. $30 for that is just asinine.

eldargal
08-31-2013, 12:52 AM
It's actually much more ornate than the AoBR captain.

The USD prices are odd though, its 30USD but also 30AUD. Still more expensive in pounds than the normal plastic characters, not sure what's going on there.

White Tiger88
08-31-2013, 01:24 AM
So what exactly is new about it? I see a different helmet....that's about it.

eldargal
08-31-2013, 01:29 AM
Different armour, more ornaments, slightly different pose. It's quite obvious when you look at them side by side, GW website is down again so can't find pictures.

White Tiger88
08-31-2013, 01:45 AM
Different armour, more ornaments, slightly different pose. It's quite obvious when you look at them side by side, GW website is down again so can't find pictures.

I think i would rather take the old one and save some cash........After all nothing beats a kitbashed captain.

Bob821
08-31-2013, 01:55 AM
I'd have thought if the charged a little less for this new Captain and Librarian they would sell more.

They are £18 in the UK and do have the options of the Old Commander. I think I will buy a box of Sternguard (£30) or Vanguard (£25) vets build them all different and have them as Captains. There easily ornate enough to pull it off and that way when I fancy taking a power fist and grav pistol rather than a THSS I don't have to explain to the guy or girl I'm playing that my Captain is not WYSIWYG.

That works out at £6 for a stern guard based captain and £5 for vanguard based! Win for every one! GW sell a more expensive kit and I get loads more options for my Captains!

Chaoschrist
08-31-2013, 03:35 AM
I actually think that the main reason they put this out as a seperate sculpt is so there is a captain with a combi-grav gun around in stores, since that part is not in the multi-part box.

Well, that, and just in general "new sculpt" to push new releases. I think the fact that it has the combi-gun is worth taking in consideration this move.

Cap'nSmurfs
08-31-2013, 04:32 AM
It's a substantially different model. The shoulderpads are more ornate, the whole front of his armour is new (he has the dangling leather straps with aquilas rather than a tabard, for instance), he has two new heads, a different gun... he's also almost certainly not a snap-fit. I really like him. I'll admit that £18 is pushing it, but he's a really nice model; the best of the new three plastics, for sure.

Brakkart
08-31-2013, 04:42 AM
I do like both the Captain and the Librarian models but £18 for them is too much imho especially as the multipart Commander box is £14. Thankfully Darksphere have both figures listed for sale at £13.25 on their webstore which is much more palatable.

SaveModifier
08-31-2013, 05:22 AM
Its a much nicer model than anything you can make from the commander box, so from a collectors point of view (which is what GW are more focused on at the moment), its worth more, that said, £18 for one plastic model, when it'll sell potentially better than any of the previous ones as its for a more popular army, when the mould will have cost the same amount, is a bit odd.

Proteus
08-31-2013, 06:00 AM
It looks better than the AoBR in practially every department, its not even a competition. The pose is the same, but the quality is on another level.

The commander box is a ridicluous set back from the dark days of "modular plastic", where every plastic model had that silly, bitsy feel, that made it look like it was kit-bashed from Legos.

Arkhan Land
08-31-2013, 08:24 AM
HEY I Love Legos! Seriously though I understand what you mean, I personally love some of the early edition RT pieces that are done in two or three piece casts with no bits/parts besides backpacks, some of the pieces got some cool poses but... that's the only pose there is, only gun there is, only rank there is...

Digitarii
08-31-2013, 10:34 AM
If I'm going to pay that much for a model, I'll just order something really nice from Forgeworld or by a box with lots of bits to custom build a commander. For my Minotaurs, I built counts-as for every special character in the SM codex using already available bits.

SaveModifier
08-31-2013, 01:41 PM
Thats the problem for me really, for £30, you can get two of the best FW Space Marines every made, and so, in my opinion, the best Space Marines made, the Legion Praetors.

Cap'nSmurfs
08-31-2013, 02:08 PM
That's inarguable, the Praetors are amazing. I'd say that it's a model you have to really like to fork out the cash they're asking for. I really don't like the Librarian that much (that damned cherub! Why!), so that's an easy one to leave on the shelf. I really like the Captain, and could do with a new generic Captain when I'm leaving Sicarius in his box, so I'll probably make him my release day purchase.

Power Klawz
08-31-2013, 03:30 PM
That librarian is pretty awesome. Like he's the only dude in the whole chapter manly enough to grow a beard and have the chaplains look the other way.

I guess the fact that he can shoot mind bullets helps in the endeavor.

Psychosplodge
08-31-2013, 03:38 PM
There's plenty of superior alternatives out there, whether FW or a kit bash, or one of the various masters of the chapter...
But if you like it, enjoy it...

White Tiger88
09-01-2013, 02:04 AM
There's plenty of superior alternatives out there, whether FW or a kit bash, or one of the various masters of the chapter...
But if you like it, enjoy it...

I agree....Unique captains are always cooler..... (Kitbash them guys its cheaper and cooler looking!)

DarkLink
09-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Just get a Sternguard kit and stick an Iron Halo on one of them.

AkimboGogurts
09-01-2013, 12:44 PM
That's inarguable, the Praetors are amazing. I'd say that it's a model you have to really like to fork out the cash they're asking for. I really don't like the Librarian that much (that damned cherub! Why!), so that's an easy one to leave on the shelf. I really like the Captain, and could do with a new generic Captain when I'm leaving Sicarius in his box, so I'll probably make him my release day purchase.

Look at the sprue on GW's site for the Librarian. The Cherub is separate.

gungagreg
09-01-2013, 06:18 PM
My thought is that for 34.5 pounds sterling (or $53.46 at todays rate) you can get a pair of these bad boys from Forgeworld which are much better and cheaper than two of the new clamshell guys. And that's with the 15% shipping!

SON OF ROMULOUS
09-01-2013, 06:48 PM
ya agreed if i'm gong to make my own character i kitbash.... i'll spend the money get the FW ones and come off the better for it. new mono pose mono weapon models are meh their meant for things like AOB or Vengance not for a generic captain.... Fail Gw Fail. not to mention... combi weapons with a power weapon? maybe with a relic blade but a powersword... no thanks. and the staff on the libby... what about weapons options that i actually want?

hammerandbrush
09-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Yeah that's a pretty weak release. Personally I took one of the original Masters of the Chapter released for Apocalypse and did some conversion work. I mean they are specifically Captain rank Marines with specific duties in the Chapter so the models are exactly what you need! Head and weapons swap and voila you have your own unique Captain!

MajorWesJanson
09-07-2013, 02:00 AM
ya agreed if i'm gong to make my own character i kitbash.... i'll spend the money get the FW ones and come off the better for it. new mono pose mono weapon models are meh their meant for things like AOB or Vengance not for a generic captain.... Fail Gw Fail. not to mention... combi weapons with a power weapon? maybe with a relic blade but a powersword... no thanks. and the staff on the libby... what about weapons options that i actually want?

The sword arm on the captain and staff arms on the librarian are designed so you can slot in any normal marine arms that you want.