PDA

View Full Version : custom characters and balance

SON OF ROMULOUS
08-30-2013, 04:45 PM
working on a custom chapter master to lead my son's of romulous i just need to get the rules on wargear down pat. pretty much setteling on terminator armour and a relic blade and a storm bolters. as thats his current armourments on the model. just trying to figure out how much he would cost cullen is roughly 200+ or - depending on which way you run him so i'm using him mnore or less as a baseline only problem is both versions of him have specilal rules for their weapons so how do you figure out the value of specialized war gear as well as the cost of things like eternal warrior?

Nabterayl
08-30-2013, 04:50 PM
The best you can do, I think, is analogize from other models with the same or similar rules, and analogize from there. Do you know what sort of special rules you want to give him?

SON OF ROMULOUS
08-30-2013, 04:57 PM
i will probably keep him stock standard with the rules for the new chapter master so he will have the whole 4 wounds 4 attacks really all i want is eternal warrior and a relic blade on him with his iron halo he shoudl be a 2+/4+ already and pretty nice ad not over powered. i'l be able to post his command squad when they are done to accompany him they will be heavily converted i just have to wait for the box to show up in the mail and then i can get to work the base ideal has been discussed for a while now so roman praetorians pretty much is what they will be.

jifel
08-30-2013, 08:53 PM
You may not need a custom character. Just use a CM with Relic blade/Storm Bolter, and its rumored that one of the "special wargear" pieces (Black Mace equivalents) grants EW.

SON OF ROMULOUS
08-30-2013, 10:10 PM
problem is for some odd reason they make it so that the relic blade is only for power armoured characters... which is odd considering forgeworld gave cullen a relic blade and eternal warrior and it didnt break the game

Tyrendian
08-31-2013, 03:53 AM
well then maybe just... bad luck? why so set on the relic blade? That chapter relic sword sounded like a waaay better relic blade (albeit more expensive)...
I mean, I wouldn't have a problem letting you use him with one in friendly games, for the bog standard points cost... and when you go competitive/play somebody who doesn't like that kind of slight rules bending, you can always use it as a power sword or the "true" Relic... I don't really see the problem there

SON OF ROMULOUS
09-01-2013, 06:06 PM
I haven't played competativly in god knows how many years. my games are mainly club games and events... the last tournment i attended i almost strangled the little twit when he thought he could talk down to be and didn't realize that this wasn't the internet and talking **** on some one in public can actually get you hit :) (Mind you he was a tyranid player with a chip on his shouldercheated like a mofo and was upset when i called him out on dice rolls measurements ect.) So ya I'm pretty sure i should be able to get away with it and i don't want the special relic blade just the standard relic blade the str+2 ap3 relic blade thats rumored to cost 25 bannana's so i figure if i make a master give him termi armour give him the blade and possbily the storm shield thing or just look at the master and see how much a termi storm shield cost then subtract that from the relic storm shield i should have a decent idea of what eternal warrior costs.

DarkLink
09-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Cool story bro. Always like to hear someone bragging about nearly assaulting some random kid.

SON OF ROMULOUS
09-02-2013, 05:28 PM
ya cool story.... Do you troll all threads just to get in some attention? Do you need your own thread to post in when your feeling lonely or in need of attention? Some how the other posters are able to provide insight or atleast advice. Whereas you.... Ya i mean atleast if your going to troll you cold be a useful troll... here have a banana and go back to your cage and when your ready to contribute you can join society....

DarkLink
09-02-2013, 11:19 PM
That response just made my day. I hope you understand why, but I'm not so sure you will.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/35342763.jpg

SON OF ROMULOUS
09-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Your from California.... that explains so much..

Back on topic
So what i figure is probably the best idea would be to see the points cost for the relic then subtract the cost of a storm shield that should give me a decent idea as to what eternal warrior is worth to a marine player.

From there i will have to begin work on the rule for his praetorian command squad. All equipped in termi Armour I got their bodies the other day :) Thinking that i will make them in the same fashion as a typical command squad so standard bearer apoth champion and 2 veterans. i was thinking of doing a twist and running a 2nd champion and making them similar to a pair of twin brothers the Son's of Romulus Run along the lines of Roman and Greek history So drawing on ancient legends could be pretty cool. maybe doing them as castor and pollux or something along those lines. though i can just as easily do it where as one of them is the heavy weapons guy and then the last man i'm not sold on yet what to put him as just yet so its open for suggestion. i'm still debating on doing swords for all of them and shields. the whole roman legionnaire look would be very pleasing.