PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into 40k, GK or Eldar???

Mcpolle
08-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Hi guys,

Am looking at getting back into 40k, back in the day, I used to play DA or SW, loving those marines, but am looking at the models around for the Eldar, and those Wraith knights are just looking awesome, no idea how good they are, but they look great.

A mate of mine has gotten CSM as his thing, and a good couple of those flying chickens, damn they are tough:-(

So wanted to gauge what would be best to look at, I do not like Tau, never have liked the models, but have loved the idea of a GK army, as they are just cool, or maybe an Eldar force.

WHat gives me a more rounded army, and something to take care of those darned flyers???

Cheers

Polle

Tyrendian
08-29-2013, 02:39 PM
mh neither GK nor Eldar are exactly brilliant at Anti Air... GK have their Storm Raven and that's basically it, while Eldar have a couple of decent, if expensive options (like Dark Reapers on an Icarus/QuadGun - who will at the same time be a royal pain for his Power Armored guys!). There's also always Allies...
The Wraithknight, while first scoffed at as too expensive (by me as well admittedly), has absolutely proven its worth for me - didn't die once yet, usually pulls quite some fire and the Heavy Wraithcannons are beastly to kill hard targets - and it's even decently mobile, being a jumper (though probably not as good as a Riptide in that department)

Cactus
08-29-2013, 03:06 PM
If GK and Eldar are the choices, I'd go Eldar every day.

New book, great models, lots of flexibility for painting and modeling, and a better variety of builds.

Rissan4ever
08-29-2013, 04:16 PM
I agree with Cactus. Go with Eldar. They're more flexible in both modeling and rules. Also, I find their background more compelling.

DarkLink
08-29-2013, 04:22 PM
GKs are better for build variety. Eldar suffer from having certain units that are pretty much flat out better than other units. Why not spam Wave Serpents and War Walkers? They're far from Phil Kelly's worst codex in that regard, but they don't have nearly as good internal balance as Grey Knights do. If you ignore some of the Inquisitorial options and the Brotherhood Champion/Brother Captain, you can literally take virtually any GK unit in any combination without too much trouble and be decent.

Eldar are both more competitive and better against flyers than Grey Knights. Guide a big unit of Warp Spiders, and jump into the rear arc and kill basically any flyer in the game. Guide War Walkers, or a Wraithknight, or just shoot one of your multiple Scatter Laser/Serpent Shield Wave Serpents at them. Through sheer weight of TL firepower, you'll land plenty of hits. Grey Knights have been hit fairly hard by the combination of nerfs to assault, Heldrakes, Tau, Dark Eldar, lack of anti-air, and likely the upcoming SM codex (particularly Centurions with Grav Cannons).

Also, Wraithknights are much better than Dreadknights. Dreadknights are overpriced and they need a 5th wound.

Phototoxin
08-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Eldar with GK allies? Best of both worlds?

Garukadon
08-29-2013, 08:51 PM
If GK and Eldar are the choices, I'd go Eldar every day.

New book, great models, lots of flexibility for painting and modeling, and a better variety of builds.

I amost agree 100% with Cactus, although, I am very partial to Dreadknights, both modeling and in game wise.

Dave Mcturk
08-30-2013, 04:52 AM
imo depends on the points level you play... over 1750 go eldar... at 1500 down knights
also a knight army is cheaper and quicker to build...

SON OF ROMULOUS
08-30-2013, 12:15 PM
grey knights you have loads of tactical options great room for conversion's and allies and lets face it do you really want to play space marines? the little emo's will get upset everytime you kill a flower... or you could play GK and purge heretics all day every day.

troglodytesrus
08-31-2013, 03:32 AM
Eldar all the way, a much more elegant army choice

dude163
08-31-2013, 09:35 PM
Id Go Eldar also , new codex and some cool new models( wraithguard for example)

Da Gargoyle
09-03-2013, 04:37 AM
I actually play Eldar so that is my recommendation. But I would say don't rely on the fact that you can use specific psyche powers anymore. Even Eldrad has to roll for them which means there is the chance you wont get what you want.

Dave Mcturk
09-03-2013, 06:43 AM
i played new codex .. 'dire-dar' the other day
40 dire avengers in squads of ten with ex.shield/sword ... on foot !
10 reapers with avenger pheonix lord and illic for protection
[inc ex.with eml/flakk/nightv/fast shot]
two small squads of spiders to 'jump.. jump... jump around'
3 foot locks with spears for anti vehicle duties

ran out a good game... very surprised opponent ! ... wot no vehicles ... !

Mcpolle
09-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Is it still possible to make playable GK armies, or are they a thing of the past??

Must admit, I really do like the look of those Wraithknights:-)

Polle

Rissan4ever
09-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Is it still possible to make playable GK armies, or are they a thing of the past??
Define "playable." Any army made with a legal codex is "playable." Do you mean "competitive," or what?

Mcpolle
09-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Yes, sorry about that, and yes, that is exactly what I mean.

DarkLink
09-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Draigowing is still pretty good, though it's tricky to play. Other gks are good, until you run into tau.

Demonus
09-05-2013, 08:00 AM
GK seems to be more of an "allied" force it seems than a main army. Unless you are using Coteaz and spamming henchmen and DKs.

I must be playing Draigowing wrong. I got tabled the other day vs a lousy tau list + sisters of battle. 1000pts dead in 2 rounds.

Kaptain Badrukk
09-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Depends on your meta.
If your meta is fluff based there's only one rule.
The rule is simple, rule of cool.
Don't think about anything other than which army makes you grin widest when looking through their book / at their models.

Playing tournament meta?
Spend a few hours surfing forums until you achieve the correctly homogenized mass copy-pasted together that will have every possible WAAC option in it, use allies to ensure this, and enjoy.

In fact ignore both of those, and ally the two together and rock out.
Or ignore me and just do whatever you feel like.

Katharon
09-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Much as I hate xenos armies, I hate the GK more...so yeah, go with Eldar. Not to mention the fact that they now how the coolest looking "big-o-bot" of all the armies now. (still waiting to see what the others will be getting)

Kaptain Badrukk
09-05-2013, 08:54 AM
They resisted the urge with standard marines, I don't expect we'll see them in every codex. Or maybe the Wraithknight sold poorly and now they're panicking.

Demonus
09-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Without a 2+ they die easily. The Riptide, which has less wounds and less toughness outlasts a WraithKnight every time, for less points usually I might add.

Rissan4ever
09-05-2013, 10:05 AM
They resisted the urge with standard marines, I don't expect we'll see them in every codex. Or maybe the Wraithknight sold poorly and now they're panicking.
They didn't resist the urge with Codex: Space Marines. What do you think the Centurions are? They're not as big as the Wraithknight or Riptide, but it's the same theme of "more big things."

Dave Mcturk
09-05-2013, 10:14 AM
think jet bike dar... might be interesting under new rules ... if you have the chance for new build... 40+ bikes... but maybe a bit pricey ??