PDA

View Full Version : dose murderous hurricane effect skimmers

burning crome
11-19-2009, 08:51 PM
dead simple just had a thought (a rare thing) whist trying to get more anti tank out of my list. See below

It also might be worth noting murderous hurricane can be fire at vehicles. At st 3 it can’t hurt them directly but it them move in difficult terrain next turn. Might be worth doing to slow some thing down and the word unit means it would apply to entire squadrons. And you could argue it would also applies to skimmers since it says even if in clear terrain and it is a storm. Which makes it much more interesting.

So basicly dose it effect skimmers. The wording of MH is very simulare (identical really) to that of tempest wrath which directly effect skimmers within 24" so dose it also apply toa unit targeted by MH?????
I mean this little trick could be pretty effective agaist (grounded) squadrons any way forcing them to stay put or risk lossing members so i can be the only one to think of it.

Nabterayl
11-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Yes, Murderous Hurricane works on skimmers.

You are absolutely correct that "unit" includes skimmers. While skimmers can move over difficult terrain during their move, they must still take a Dangerous Terrain test if they start or end their move in Difficult Terrain. And since a unit hit by Murderous Hurricane treats all terrain as Difficult, a skimmer hit by Murderous Hurricane that moves at all must start (and end) its move in Difficult Terrain.

burning crome
11-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Right 88 view and no disagreement looks like it a winner then.

PinoyC
11-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Does that equate to two checks as well?

PC

Nabterayl
11-21-2009, 12:17 PM
It's unclear, but for the sake of sanity I'd argue no. Consider this: a regular infantry unit treats "all" terrain as Difficult and Dangerous. You take a check every time you enter, move through, or leave Difficult Terrain. Surely we all agree that a regular infantry unit doesn't take an infinite amount of DT checks after Murderous Hurricane, right? I would draw the line at one test per Hurricane.

Mycroft Holmes
11-23-2009, 03:11 PM
When would you ever take multiple Dangerous Terrain checks per phase?

Nabterayl
11-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Say you have three separate pieces of area Difficult Terrain, separated by area terrain. You have a vehicle, which starts in the first piece of terrain. You decide to move it twelve inches in a course that will take it out of the first set of ADT, through the second piece of ADT, and end its move in the third piece of ADT. I think that's a pretty textbook example of three separate Dangerous Terrain tests - once for moving into or through each piece of ADT. Same thing would occur if you tried to move over, say, three separate defense lines in the same move.

You might argue that Murderous Hurricane divides each micron of the board into its own piece of Difficult Terrain, but that would make us all go insane. So I think the better way to play it is to say that Murderous Hurricane makes the entire board a single piece of area Difficult Terrain for the affected unit.

Mycroft Holmes
11-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Don't have my book near-bye, but I had thought you only took one test; no mater how many separate pieces of terrain you moved through.

Nabterayl
11-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Ah, you appear to be correct. The relevant quote is:

Roll a D6 for every vehicle that has entered, left or moved through one or more areas of dangerous terrain during its move.

Thanks!

Mycroft Holmes
11-23-2009, 06:08 PM
haha, ok

You had me thinking that something had changed between editions and I had totally missed it.

Tyrsday
11-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Now I thought it was that skimmers had to take a dangerous terrain test whenever they started and ended their movement phase in difficult or dangerous terrain, so that would mean two tests if I understand the question right.

crazyredpraetorian
11-24-2009, 11:57 AM
When would you ever take multiple Dangerous Terrain checks per phase?

When you start in DT and end in DT

Mycroft Holmes
11-25-2009, 12:48 PM
When you start in DT and end in DT

Roll a D6 for every vehicle that has entered, left or moved through one or more areas of dangerous terrain during its move.

You do not take multiple checks for that. (Emphasis Mine)