PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Lord on Tzeentch Disc

Eberk
08-21-2013, 03:19 AM
Hi,

Has anyone already used a Chaos Lord (or Sorcerer) on a Tzeentch Disc (Chaos Reward - Steed) ? And which unit can it best attach itself to ? Chaos Bikers ?

I was thinking about it because it seemed like a cool model to put on the table.

Thoughts ? Ideas ?

Thanks in advance

SacredChao
08-21-2013, 11:33 PM
The problem is that the only benefit to taking the Disc over the Bike is an extra attack, unless he's on his own, which he shouldn't be. He doesn't get the speed bonus for turbo-boosting beyond the 12" the bikes or spawn that would be with him get. Also, generally on a Lord, 1 extra attack isn't that great when he's throwing 5 attacks on the charge.

One tactic I see, however, is the Sorcerer on the Disc. Taking Pyromancy spells for close range burninating. The benefit here is that since the sorcerer is only 2 wounds, you can avoid that pesky terrain that can injure you so easily.

As for what to put him with? Spawn or Bikes. Spawn are cheaper, Bikes will be more durable. Between 5 spawn (even nurgle marked, which they wont be with the Tzeentch sorc), 10 bikes will outlast them on average, because of armor/jink saves.

Sigmaril
08-22-2013, 05:39 AM
As for what to put him with? Spawn or Bikes. Spawn are cheaper, Bikes will be more durable. Between 5 spawn (even nurgle marked, which they wont be with the Tzeentch sorc), 10 bikes will outlast them on average, because of armor/jink saves.
I disagree. It will take 3 wounds to kill a spawn, and it will take an average of 3 wounds to kill a bike. However, the amount of AP2/ignore cover hits it takes to kill a spawn will kill 3 bikes.

Edit: Besides, you can rotate your spawn. Once they've taken 1-2 wounds, move them to the rear and let the NeXT one soak up a bit. With luck, you can take 10 wounds before the first one is removed.

SacredChao
08-22-2013, 11:25 AM
There isn't that much AP3 and below that Ignore cover. Sure the spawn are better against heldrakes and certain other ones, but anything not AP3 the bikes should last just as long. They also are better in the open, since a spawn doesn't have jink, the bike does. It IS very close, and I usually have Feel No Pain on them anyways, but the guy on the disc wouldn't be able to join them ;p

Spawn are very durable, and rotating helps get them there with more attacks in place, AND a squad of 5 is cheaper than 10 bikes with upgrades. But the bikes move faster, have guns, an armor save, jink save, and can get power weapon on the sarge :P It depends on if you want to pay for a meat shield thats decent in combat, or a balanced unit.

DarkLink
08-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Heldrake. Tau.

Lord Krungharr
08-22-2013, 11:04 PM
It IS very close, and I usually have Feel No Pain on them anyways, but the guy on the disc wouldn't be able to join them

Why wouldn't the Disc Sorcerer/Lord be able to join Spawn? Unless you meant Nurgle Spawn, then he couldn't join them.

My favorite way to use the Disc Sorcerer with Mastery 3, is give him all the Tzeentch CSM powers, you'll end up with the main 3 including the Boon of Mutation one. I run the Disc Sorcerer with Bikers, and run either a JuggerAxeLord or Nurgle Biker Lord with Spawn, and the Sorcerer can give the Lord a roll on the Boon table every turn (assuming no Perils or failed test, or the unlikely event the Lord won't survive the S4 hit). Plus you'll get Breath of Chaos and whatever that other power is, and being on a Jetbike, you can keep behind the bikers but in the squad til you can pop out, or zip on over whereever to do your business if needed.

He gets really expensive with the Scrolls of Magnus, but that sure adds a lot of fun and potentially useful tools for your Sorcerer. But for sure he's more of a buffing synergistic model, though he could be a huge beast with the right blessings (he can always bless himself too).

Hey, how 'bout this? Allied LOC with Forewarning, Disc Sorcerer w Tzeentch Spawn...if that went off the Spawn would end up with a 3+ invul save!

Eberk
08-23-2013, 11:45 AM
My favorite way to use the Disc Sorcerer with Mastery 3, is give him all the Tzeentch CSM powers, you'll end up with the main 3 including the Boon of Mutation one.

While you do give thoughts/ideas that I can use I don't think it is legal (codex-wise) for a single lvl.3 psyker to have all the 3 Tzeentch powers at the same time. Minimum 1 power and maximum up to half his powers can be Tzeentch I thought. (or else I misinterpret the rules or did miss another FAQ ;) )

DarkLink
08-23-2013, 01:28 PM
There's no maximum limit. Your first power must be Tzeentch, but after that you can pick from whatever table you want, including going all Tzeentch. The Tzeentch powers kind of suck, so I don't know why you'd do that, but whatever.

Eberk
08-24-2013, 12:03 PM
There's no maximum limit. Your first power must be Tzeentch, but after that you can pick from whatever table you want, including going all Tzeentch.

Really ?? Are you sure ?

I have a different interpretation of the rules on top of page 70 of the CSM Codex.

DarkLink
08-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Huh, guess you're right. Never saw that come up because no one ever plays all Tzeentch powers, because they suck. The rulebook powers are far, far, far better.