PDA

View Full Version : Gone Home

eldargal
08-17-2013, 01:03 AM
Anyone else played Gone Home (http://thefullbrightcompany.com/gonehome/)?

For those who haven't heard of it Gone Home is more an interactive story then a game in the traditional sense (somewhat similar to Myst though much smaller in scale) put out by indie developer The Fullbright Company. The player is a 20 year old female student returning toher families new home after a year abroad, only her family are missing. It's up to you to find out what happened to them.

It's short, I finished it in two hours, especially for the money (thirteen pounds I think it was ) but it is really fantastic. There is no combat and the story is notable more for how mundane it is in some ways than how outlandish but that shouldn't be taken as a criticism. It feels real, a real story about real people. It is atmospheric, immersive and really very emotionally engaging as well, I cried a bit at the end.:rolleyes: Why I think this game is so notable is because it shows that a game doesn't need gimmicks or advanced gameplay to suck you in. I mean the gameplay is literally just 'walk around, look at stuff' but it's exciting. The family you are investigating are interesting and engaging because they are just so ordinary in many ways.

The story itself is exceptionally well told with great depth, I've been thinking about it constantly since I played it and I'm still finding nuances that I missed the first time around.

It's currently sitting on 90 at Metacritic for what it's worth and for me personally it's one of the best games I've played, I really hope to see more of this kind of narrative driven gaming in the future.

Asymmetrical Xeno
08-17-2013, 01:06 AM
I am more of a "casual gamer" myself so this sounds more appealing to me. I'll check it out.

YorkNecromancer
08-17-2013, 03:46 PM
I've heard excellent things about it. I'm not sure if my ancient, steam-powered computer can manage it, but if it can, I may give it a look.

It sounds like a more narrative version of Yume Nikki, which is a game I really really love for it's total lack of anything to do, achieve, or accomplish.

Link to Yume Nikki free download if anyone fancies trying it (it's freeware, so not piracy): http://archive.uboachan.net/media/src/Yume_Nikki.rar