PDA

View Full Version : Brettonian Whispers

Bigred
08-12-2013, 10:04 AM
From a retailer:

Viewing a retailer order sheet, Bretonnians are no longer able to be ordered from Games Workshop at this present moment. Following the usual cycle , this indicates that there is a new rulebook on the horizon with some new models to come. We assume this would be in the November/December release slot after the Inquisition Skirmish game is announced in October at Gamesday UK.

Distributor sources verify the upcoming WHFB release shipment, described only as "a human race", with but would not confirm a release dates.

Joker1972
08-12-2013, 10:15 AM
So my beloved Brettonian knights are getting some love now the only other thing that would make my day is that the dwarfs get a new book:D

energongoodie
08-12-2013, 10:49 AM
I've been saying for a while that if these models are good....then I'm back getting into fantasy for the first time since 94.

Go Brettonians!

Kirsten
08-12-2013, 12:15 PM
woohoo, hope this is true

Necron_Lord
08-12-2013, 02:12 PM
So my beloved Brettonian knights are getting some love now the only other thing that would make my day is that the dwarfs get a new book:D

Dwarfs are rumored to get a new release in Q1 2014, but that same source had Dark Elves and not Bretonnia coming out this Fall. We shall see...

Bigred
08-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Indeed, we are now getting contradictory chatter for Dark Elves and Brets from the "I know a guy" camp and the "business/retailing" sides of the rumortree.

Houghten
08-12-2013, 03:13 PM
All the books!

eldargal
08-12-2013, 11:55 PM
Hastings said Dark Elves late this year so I'm going with him on that one. Of course it could be a wave release with a Bretonnian book later in the year.

Lunar Camel
08-13-2013, 03:07 AM
I hope its true. I'm tired of showing up with my Hippogryph being the biggest model in my army while everyone else gets HUGE chariots, living statues, dinosaurs, etc.

Wildeybeast
08-13-2013, 04:04 AM
I wouldn't expect Brets to get any massive monsters, you'll probably get a hippogryph Louis/generic character kit like the Karl Franz one, some plastic trebs and a crazy Grail Reliquary chariot thing.

Mr Mystery
08-13-2013, 07:54 AM
To be fair, it's kind of easy to rumour for Fantasy right now. At last count, I think there's 5 armies yet to be updated to 8th?

Skaven, Beastmen, Brets, Woodies and Dwarfs? Oh. And Dark Elves. So 6.

Still possible within a 12 month window!

eldargal
08-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Both Dark Elves and Stunties are due by Q1 2014 too, according to Hastings.

lattd
08-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Well with the release schedule as it is, it is perfectly viable all books will be updated by the end of 2014. I'm hoping there is no new rulebook next year I have only played 1 game this edition.

eldargal
08-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Harry and possibly Hastings both mentioned 9th edition might not be coming 'til 2015.

magickbk
08-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Harry and possibly Hastings both mentioned 9th edition might not be coming 'til 2015.

It would be almost wishlisting to think that Skaven, Dark Elves, Bretonnia, and Dwarfs could be updated before 9th, allowing them to make any tweaks to the core rules necessary to fit Beastmen and Wood Elves in without remaking the way they play. It would also be an interesting time for Fantasy, in that every army would potentially have an updated book with updated/new models no more than 4 years old. That would open up interesting questions as to whether or not it makes sense to start remaking 4 year old army books as opposed to having a few release slots to either add a new army (Cathay? Ind? Amazons?) or a returning army like Dogs of War (or Chaos Dwarfs?).

Kirsten
08-13-2013, 11:37 AM
skaven certainly wont be updated, their book is practically new.

magickbk
08-13-2013, 12:18 PM

I was just thinking, by Q4 2014, the book will be 5 years old, and potentially the second oldest book. Plus, the range could use some simple fixing up in expectation of IoB going away, and to fix the older things that IoB was basically a band-aid on.

Chronowraith
08-13-2013, 04:02 PM

The book was released in 2009 so it's far from new. It isn't even the "newest" book of the unreleased 8th edition books as that title goes to Beastmen.

While I don't think Skaven need a new book or many rule changes they do need some minor tweaks and more than anything they need their rules rewritten for clarity and brevity. The Skaven FAQ is almost as long as the rules section contained within the armybook itself. In that regard they need an update moreso than Dark Elves who, while usually having fairly narrow and uninspired armies, are still a very good army on the tabletop.

Kirsten
08-13-2013, 04:12 PM
I don't see them getting an 8th edition book.

JGRSound
08-15-2013, 09:45 AM
It would be nice to run an army without grail knights in it just for variety. I like the present book and 8th but the two don't gel maximum 12" over run means long lances are suicidal and steadfast is just a pain in the arse. I'm brettonian i can go toe to toe but i can't stop moving or i'm in deep ****. I will miss some of the funky magic items though, gauntlet of the dual is great, but it is long overdue for something new.

Katharon
08-15-2013, 03:52 PM
I'm just waiting to see them reduce the Brettonnian men-at-arms 16-man box down to a 10-man box like they did with the Empire state troops. Money grubbing....[CANNOT REVEAL DUE TO CHILDREN]...and then I'd smack 'em and crush 'em beneath my boot. Where was I again?

Aenir
08-16-2013, 03:04 AM
Actually i would love to see them drop peasants and become knights only! If i wanted the grubby little peasants i would have played empire!!! :p i havent played too much in 8th but it is so frustrating to have your lances just do nothing and get stuck it because the other guy paid less for his 100-ct blob than i did for my lance :rolleyes:

eldargal
08-16-2013, 03:25 AM
Someone on Warseer is claiming Bretonnians are scheduled for an April release, don't think they have a track record as far as rumours go so take it with the usual dose of salt.

Wildeybeast
08-16-2013, 06:30 AM
Actually i would love to see them drop peasants and become knights only! If i wanted the grubby little peasants i would have played empire!!! :p i havent played too much in 8th but it is so frustrating to have your lances just do nothing and get stuck it because the other guy paid less for his 100-ct blob than i did for my lance :rolleyes:

We don't send our peasants to fight, we have properly trained and equipped soldiers, not like that rabble you frog eaters call an army. I'm expecting bret cav to get a big boost, it seems daft that empire cav are better than them. Though I can't wait until the trebs get nerfed, those things are horrific.

Wolfshade
08-16-2013, 06:49 AM
I spent ages working out the heraldry for Brets then I realised that no one plays fantasy locally and my painting track record isn't good enough to have such a vanity project

Aenir
08-18-2013, 02:49 AM
We don't send our peasants to fight, we have properly trained and equipped soldiers, not like that rabble you frog eaters call an army. I'm expecting bret cav to get a big boost, it seems daft that empire cav are better than them. Though I can't wait until the trebs get nerfed, those things are horrific.

Dont be daft man! They are all peasants! Some have armor some have large two handed swords others are robed maniacs throw themselves on enemy weapons but all are peasants one and the same! Only a man with the highest ideals on honor and chivalry can be a proper nobleman and only that if he is astride a fine brettonian steed, lance in one hand , the lady's favor in the other! Huzzah Brettonia!!!

Mr Mystery
08-18-2013, 04:51 AM

All about the Lance formation.

To be honest, I would be at all surprised if Bret Cavalry gets some kind of impact hits on the charge. After all, a column of heavy horse is going to make a mess with its sheer impact long before the riders make with the stabby!

Wildeybeast
08-18-2013, 05:18 AM
Not sure on the impact hits. I mean it makes sense, but then surely all cav would have it, especially monstrous cav. Allowing everyone in the unit to attack makes more sense and maybe a rule about removing enemy rank bonuses or steadfast as the lance formation punches deep into the heart of the formation would work better from a fluff POV.

Mr Mystery
08-18-2013, 05:26 AM
Would also make them way to easy to play with.

They're not far off being 'point and click' as is. The cavalry should of course be well hard, but not the point where all they need to do is just charge.

Wildeybeast
08-18-2013, 05:46 AM
It was always going to be one of the problems they had to overcome when they changed the rules mechanics to heavily favour ranked up infantry. It isn't so much of a problem with armies like Empire or WoC where cav is hard but has never been the core of their army. Brets live and die by their cav and how to fix them has been a challenge from day on of 8th. If there are rumours of release windows going around, it would seem that they have found a way of doing so. I'm interested to know what they have come up with.

Mr Mystery
08-18-2013, 05:55 AM
Given they get ranks of three, its not as big a problem as some might think. 8th put a righteous kibosh on MSU nonsense sure, so 6 Knights just aren't going to cut it. But enlarge the unit to 12, and its looking better.

Mondayshero
09-09-2013, 09:31 AM
when it comes to "Monster-Hammering" Brettonia, I expect that the Grail Reliquae will become a huge "chariot" and if there are any monsters added, it will be as mounts for the Sorceresses (being from an Isle that sits outside of the world.)

Mondayshero
09-09-2013, 09:33 AM
(And I know that the prior post is my first post. I've been a LONG time Lurker. But with commenting on the rumors about Bretonnia was just too good to pass up. I've been playing Warhammer since the Bretonnians came out in 1997...)

okeyigiveup
09-09-2013, 10:27 AM
I don't think Bret needs big changes.

Keep or even increase the accesses of KB & HKB would be nice.
Get rid of the unit size limit of knights, and the lance formation will be crazily great.
Then give them proper monstrous calvary, or boost the pegasus knight a bit so they can at least reach the enemy alive.
No need for new war machine since Bret already has a good one.
As long as there's no downgrade for the relique it'll be fine since that is the only infantry choice that matters.

And at last one true critical change really needs to be done : more plastic, less metal & finecast unit !!!

Voldrak
09-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Lance formation at 6+ ranks is already hard to move around, I cannot see how bad it would get at 7, 8 or 9 ranks. Removing knight limits needs to happen, but lance already needs to change.

What I would like to see change.

1. Killing blow for some knights on the charge would be nice.
2. option to buy plate armor across all knights.
3. T4 for Questing and Grail knights.
4. Monstrous Cavalry. Wish listing for armored damsels riding unicorns.
5. Man at Arms point reduction or going to WS3 at the very least.

6. Devastating Charge when not in the lance formation. Makes blocks of knights very viable. As you lose knights, switch to lance formation to added defense while keeping your attacks fairly high on your next charges.

Solution9
09-10-2013, 03:29 AM
This is my 2 cents on what should be done with Brets

1) Across the board point cost reduction
2) All Bret horses gain Strider ability
3) Bring back the old arrow head lance formation
4) Knights on foot unit (useless I know but still a unit for variety sake)
5) Beef up Questing and Grail Knights
6) Remove the minimum 1 unit of KotR
7) If required to have a BSB make him so he doesn't count towards the 25% max
8) Shields can be used for a parry save even mounted

Those are my thoughts. Pig headed? Maybe

Kaptain Badrukk
09-10-2013, 03:40 AM
What they really need is some kind of giant mechanical knight, on a giant mechanical horse. It needs to be on a massive base and cost about £60. And it needs to be borderline unkillable.
LoL at behaving like a dakka poster!
Seriously though agree with okeyigiveup, not a big change needed, just some tweakage!

okeyigiveup
09-10-2013, 04:07 AM

6) is already done by FAQ "P.68, 69 Core...ignore second paragraph..."
Seems lots of Bret Noble didn't notice.

Solution9
09-12-2013, 04:10 PM
6) is already done by FAQ "P.68, 69 Core...ignore second paragraph..."
Seems lots of Bret Noble didn't notice.

Oh! Well then. Very well. GW agreed with my thoughts.

Cadian122
09-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Lance formation at 6+ ranks is already hard to move around, I cannot see how bad it would get at 7, 8 or 9 ranks. Removing knight limits needs to happen, but lance already needs to change.

What I would like to see change.

1. Killing blow for some knights on the charge would be nice.
2. option to buy plate armor across all knights.
3. T4 for Questing and Grail knights.
4. Monstrous Cavalry. Wish listing for armored damsels riding unicorns.
5. Man at Arms point reduction or going to WS3 at the very least.

6. Devastating Charge when not in the lance formation. Makes blocks of knights very viable. As you lose knights, switch to lance formation to added defense while keeping your attacks fairly high on your next charges.

I basically agree with both points. I would love to see units of Knights on Foot, especially as it makes the army viable in a siege, I play with the Old(er) models, and it is a ***** to rank them up in anything that isn't the triangle lance formation (especially as they didn't have flanks). But it'll be interesting. I've been off the Fantasy bandwagon lately because I play Empire, Dwarfs and Bretonnians, and I'm tired of my Empire, but my Bretonnian and Dwarf armies are exactly the same as the next ones over if I want to win, but I generally lose (badly) with my Brets because I like my peasants.

D6Damager
09-19-2013, 12:11 PM
when it comes to "Monster-Hammering" Brettonia, I expect that the Grail Reliquae will become a huge "chariot" and if there are any monsters added, it will be as mounts for the Sorceresses (being from an Isle that sits outside of the world.)

I would expect the Grail Reliquae to the large kit for Brets. A good choice too since most players never used it and don't have the old model. Seems like every army has some sort of mobile shrine these days.

onlyonepinman
09-20-2013, 12:25 AM
Purely for a variety (or flexibility if you want to justify in gaming terms, which I don't) I'd give them two new infantry units

Dismounted Questing Knights. Same as the existing QKs but sans horse. These guys are supposed to have taken a vow of poverty or some such nonsense. The horse, not the lance, is the ultimate symbol of wealth in the medieval world. I think dismounted represents them better and gives a heavy infantry unit.

Some kind of Men at Arms unit, not the existing peasant rabble (whom I would rename as Peasant Levies); The new unit would represent a force of professional soldiery maintained at the Lord's expense. Possiby light armour, shield and spear or hand weapon. I'd also make the grail reliquea more like the skaven screaming bell and have it pushed by the new men at arms unit (not the old peasants though).

I'd make changes to the KotR kit, a couple of different horse poses (currently only two) multi-posable knights as well would be nice.

And can we have some of the old characters back? Suleiman Le Saracen was awesome!

Don't ask me how I'd change the rules though, I'm a painter/collector primarily so I'm not really that knowledgeable about the rules so can't really come up with good ideas. I still want to see a bias towards mounted knights but I'd like to see the above for a bit of variety and also to allow different "themes" of army to be created (I'm trying to make a crusaders style army which isn't easy with the limited model range available). And yes, I realise this is wish-listing.

JGRSound
09-20-2013, 05:57 PM
I think the easiest fix for me would be some kind of initiative bonus on a lance charge,(i don't care how nimble you are mister elf a couple of tons of angry horse just ran over you), that and now your only over running 3d6 pick the highest rather than 3d6, a lance of more than 9 knights becomes a probable flank charge if you don't roll 10 or more, and a lance less than 12 is unlikely to break the unit with steadfast making it's presence felt. I don't really know what you would do sort out men at arms is probably my biggest gripe (here's a shield, no you may not use it in close combat ward saves are for knights only peasant, except for those slightly scary ones wearing my ancestor.) I've said this before but what i really want is to write a list and not go "right i need grail knights for the I5 so something can hit first in combat"

Blackbladder
11-30-2013, 02:00 PM
All the rumours mention that dwarfs and wood elves will be the last books updated before 9th edition hits the shelves next year . However after looking around online I discovered that most the bretonnion army has been removed from sale , I know they were trying to sell off the metal stock (apparently) but I think they will be updated soonish,I mean the army REQUIRES you to have a paladin and you can no longer buy it .....lol

Wildeybeast
12-01-2013, 04:55 AM
A lack of stock is usually a good indicator that new models are in the pipeline. How imminent that makes them, I have no idea. A few chaps at the recent Battle Brothers tournament were saying they had heard rumours Brets will be in the next starter set, though make of that what you will.

Chronowraith
12-01-2013, 10:34 AM
and prior to the rather dubious rumors about Wood Elves being the last army book for 8th the rumors pointed to Bretonnians being the last book. Now, the rumor about Brets was just as dubious at least because there were no specifics beyond, "After Dwarfs, but before 9th".

If rumors are any indication, the starter will be Empire vs. Orcs. Although I admit I'm holding out for Bretonnians vs. Beastmen.

Lord-Boofhead
12-03-2013, 03:19 PM
If rumors are any indication, the starter will be Empire vs. Orcs.

Oh god no please the last thing we need is more incompetent Orc players...

Lord-Boofhead
12-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Purely for a variety (or flexibility if you want to justify in gaming terms, which I don't) I'd give them two new infantry units

Also Hemalots (sp?) or Hooded Men, Outlaws who steal from the rich and give to the poor. you can even have Bertrand the Brigand and the Bowmen of Bergerac as a SC upgrade.

Maybe have A Hooded One as a Hero choice to allow the option of an all Peasant army...

Wildeybeast
12-04-2013, 01:13 AM
An all peasant army would be hilarious. Crap, but hilarious.

Lord-Boofhead
12-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Not if you have enough of them. Enough of anything crap can be effective just as and Night Goblin or Imperial Guard player...

"Quantity has a Quality all of its own." - Stalin