PDA

View Full Version : Leman Russ on a Chimera chassis?

Aristocrap
11-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Has anyone tried or seen this before? I've seen a picture of a LMBT turret on a Chimera chassis and I liked it, since I think the standard Russ chassis is too blocky for me. I don't plan on using sponsons either, so I don't have much converting to do! However, I have fears that some people would argue against it because of gameplay issues...

Whitehorn
11-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Like this?

http://fulgrim.com/minis/tanks/stug05.jpg

gwensdad
11-18-2009, 07:38 PM
I vaguely remember back during 2nd edition epic there was a Chimera variant that had a battlecannon (no idea how to model that in 40K).

But that was just a regular chimera (with a big frakin' gun!)

Aristocrap
11-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Like this?

Not quite. I mean taking the LMBT's turret and putting it on a Chimera chassis. Like this:

http://www.ironhands.com/mtr_tnk1.jpg
(Not my work)

RocketRollRebel
11-18-2009, 09:19 PM
That looks pretty neat. I dont see why anyone should have an issue with it game wise. Yeah its a little lower but its LoS is a little lower as well.

Melissia
11-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Looks pretty neat. Could very well be a Leman Russ variant from a planet that doesn't have the equipment to produce more than one kind of chassis, in this case the Chimera. So they gave it a better engine, slapped some armor on it, and etc.

Aristocrap
11-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Alright, I think I just might build my tanks using the Chimera chassis. It seems more realistic from a modern-day standpoint, and I like the little story behind it, Melissia. I'll probably slap on some side armor and convert the engine to look more powerful.

Melissia
11-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Justifying conversions in the fluff is 90% of hte fun of doing them.

ColCorbane
11-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Those are both pretty sweet, nice inspiration.

Thanks

Cryl
11-19-2009, 07:23 AM
http://www.ironhands.com/mtr_tnk1.jpg

That I really really like, more than the normal Leman Russ actually.

Like Melissia says it should be pretty easy to justify the fluff for it as well.

L192837465
11-19-2009, 08:37 AM
The only thing I would change is the side sponsons. Either remove them completely, or make them gun slit .50 cals like the WWI tanks.

Other than that, that is an awesome conversion, and I've gotta say I like it more than the LR model.

Aristocrap
11-19-2009, 09:08 AM
The only thing I would change is the side sponsons. Either remove them completely, or make them gun slit .50 cals like the WWI tanks.

Other than that, that is an awesome conversion, and I've gotta say I like it more than the LR model.

I agree, I'm not too fond of how the modeller of this tank did the sponsons. But I never use sponsons on my Russ tanks, so I won't have to worry. If Iwas going for a more WWI look, I'd just use the regular chassis because it looks like a British Mark V tank. The chimera chassis makes it look more modern, which I like. I only worry about the additional cost of the project.

Gotthammer
11-19-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm not sure how the costs would break down but you can buy Russ turrets individually from Forge World to save having to buy the whole kit just for the turret.

MarshalAdamar
11-19-2009, 09:45 AM
You know what?! I really like that! I have two sets of sponsons from the old predator and I also have the parts for the old mulit melta sponsons that will fit in the housings.

I think I would take the sponsons from the old predator and put them on sides there where it’s the thickest.

But I really like the way the way it turned out.

Aristocrap
11-19-2009, 10:19 AM
I like the way it looks too. However, it's not my work, mind you!
Here's the link to the site I found it from: http://www.ironhands.com/mintren.htm

chromedog
11-30-2009, 05:40 PM
I vaguely remember back during 2nd edition epic there was a Chimera variant that had a battlecannon (no idea how to model that in 40K).

But that was just a regular chimera (with a big frakin' gun!)

That would be the chimedon.
It was commonly modelled in 40k (Armorcast had a magazine back then showing how to do it) as a chimera with a hole cut out to fit the Leman Russ turret - as well as the Chimerax and another one).

Size wise, the chimedon and Leman Russ are the same height, and footprint.

There is also the "Ragnarok" pattern Russ (essentially a Chimera Hulled KV-2) which IS taller than a Russ (because of it's huge box turret).