PDA

View Full Version : When has BoLS 40K become so popular?

HsojVvad
08-11-2013, 01:24 PM
I have been away for a long while. Basically took a long break from the hobby. Getting back slowly. Too slowly since I don't have anything done.

I am shocked to see how many people frequent BoLS. I know it's mostly for rumours, but if I remember correctly, that is why people when to Whineseer I mean Warseer. Now while they have bigger numbers than while BoLS use to have when I was here, it's now where in the 1000's or 2000's like it use to be. What happened?

I am so glad BoLS is doing strong. I am just shocked to see the tide change so much. Is there a reason for this? What did I miss?

chicop76
08-11-2013, 01:31 PM
It could be due to other gaming communities shrinking or other bussiness. Also it doesn't help if said sites referance this and others.

Cap'nSmurfs
08-11-2013, 02:12 PM
The breakneck 40k release schedule this year has probably helped. There can't be many weeks where there's not been any rumours or discussions of rumours, or new things and discussions of new things.

fuzzbuket
08-11-2013, 02:20 PM
the rest of the blogosphere went to ****, and bols is pretty much one of the few sites left.

sadly the massive size, and more new people is making it worse :(

Wolfshade
08-11-2013, 02:55 PM
There is also an upswing of non-40k news or rumours occuring in that section

magickbk
08-12-2013, 07:09 AM
1. BoLS has become a source of news, so people are starting to flock over here to see it.
2. Some of the other sites have had outages, and people started to come over this way to get their fix.
3. A concerted effort to make this a friendly place.

Popsical
08-12-2013, 01:18 PM
The fact that you must trawl thru literally hundreds of pages of moaning and speculation to find anything worth reading on other sites is a big reason folk are coming over to bols. Lets hope it doesnt go the same way here.
Wingeseer is the biggest example of this phenomenon, page after page of moaning and bleating about the woes of certain armies.
You can spend hours trying to find a rumour or relevent nugget of info, its tiresome and frustrating.

magickbk
08-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Maybe a generation of gamers with aging eyes can't take the Warseer white text on black background anymore, and have come over to BoLS' comforting color scheme. As has been mentioned, there are some great painting projects over there, and I sometimes look through them for inspiration, but find it hard to read.

nathaneal246
08-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Im new to BoLS myself but I did join warseer as well and found it quite unwelcoming and hostile towards newcomers! BoLS on the otherhand is the complete opposite, you can say and give opinions on anything here and not get mugged off by people! I think some of the painting projects on here can be fairly inspirational as well! All the rumour stuff you get on here is brilliant as well!

the10taken
08-13-2013, 08:59 AM
I am also new to this site. I had the site recommended to me for about a year by some friends. I have been hanging around the site for a couple of months but I normally only read the news and rumours. The people here seem nice so I may stick around and post more often.

Bigred
08-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Welcome aboard, and have fun.

We always want to hear from new voices and see their cool hobby stuff.

Demonus
08-13-2013, 12:16 PM
I have a few sites I frequent but BOLS is usually the first I check each day. For the most part it seems a pretty chill community, except for TDA, no one likes that guy....

/wink

Pssyche
08-13-2013, 01:39 PM
I've only recently become active on BoLS.
My passions, in order of preference, are Eldar, Forge World, Apocalypse and sharing photos of my models.

My previous site-of-habit was in the main very friendly.
Then suddenly one member started trolling every single post that I made, mostly within seconds of my posting.
I really took offence to his inappropriate and unacceptable language.
Unless, of course, you think that casual mentions to homophobia and sexual assault have a place in table top wargaming.
Despite my complaints to the administrators he continued.

Anyway, even though I was a subscriber to that site I really wasn't enjoying it, so I sacked it off and here I am.

Haven't regretted it for one moment.
Hello everybody!

Aspire to Glory
08-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Two reasons:

1) Rumors

2) Leafblower ;)

rusty84
08-19-2013, 02:50 PM
For me its just the fact that people on BOLS are realy chilled an non judgemental and its a great place to pick up tips and ideas aswell as constructive feedback on your projects!

SON OF ROMULOUS
08-21-2013, 03:34 PM
I left following the heavy handed mods at warsser... that and the fact that most of the community over there was a bunch of asshats. so it was an easy switch stay at whineseer and be miserable or come over to bols and meet people who were people and didnt suffer from internet muscles lol