PDA

View Full Version : Codex listed Wargear but not on the model?

Blackcloud6
08-10-2013, 08:35 AM
I purchased a built but unpainted SM Devastator Squad on eBay and noticed when painting them that the builder did not put the holstered bolt pistols on the models. Now I have a few in the bits box, but not enough for everyone. The Bolt Pistols is listed as Wargear for the Devastator Squad in t Codex. So, how is it handled if the Codex lists the item as Wargear but the model does not have it on the model? I checked the rules and cannot find anything on this. Is this covered by house rules, tournament rules or it simply assumed that if listed as Wargear, the model has the item?

Nabterayl
08-10-2013, 08:49 AM
WYSIWYG is no longer strictly part of the rules, so technically it's a question to be handled by your playing environment - house rules or tournament rules. That being said, everywhere I've ever heard of, tournaments included, assumes that wargear doesn't have to be modeled if every model in the unit has it. So I wouldn't worry about modeling the bolt pistols any more than you worry about modeling both the assault and frag grenades.

Blackcloud6
08-10-2013, 08:51 AM
So I wouldn't worry about modeling the bolt pistols any more than you worry about modeling both the assault and frag grenades.

That is the way I was thinking. Thanks.

Ssyrie
08-10-2013, 12:12 PM
For your Devastator Squad, WYSIWYG is really only important for the heavy weapons they carry, and any alternate weapons the sergeant may have taken.

Houghten
08-10-2013, 01:43 PM
The Tactical and Devastator Squad kits are older than any Codex where every Marine has a bolt pistol, so even if you'd got it new-in-box it wouldn't have had enough holsters for you to model them all on.

Blackcloud6
08-10-2013, 03:02 PM
The Tactical and Devastator Squad kits are older than any Codex where every Marine has a bolt pistol, so even if you'd got it new-in-box it wouldn't have had enough holsters for you to model them all on.

That is a god piece of knowledge to know. I just started playing a few years ago so would not have known that. Thanks. So it seems, that if it is listed as wargear, then the unit has it.

Ben_S
08-11-2013, 02:27 AM
The Tactical and Devastator Squad kits are older than any Codex where every Marine has a bolt pistol.

I don't have the Codex to hand, but I'm sure Tacticals at least came with bolt pistols as standard in 2nd edition.

Still, if it's wargear that all models possess as standard, then it doesn't really need to be represented on the model: it can be assumed to be there, even though it's not clear where a marine would secrete a pistol.

chicop76
08-11-2013, 02:42 AM
What about with Daemonic flight with daemons. Do I have to have wings with my Daemon Prince?

With CSM it's not Daemonic Flight, yet it's a wing upgrade which I can see you have to add wings with CSM.

The issue is from the last two codices. CSM specified you have to have wings, while Daemons stated flight was wings or the creature leaping.

magickbk
08-12-2013, 01:42 PM
For the most part, standard equipment in the unit entry doesn't have to be modeled except for main weapon, but any options do. So, if you have a unit of Devastators, the 4 with heavy weapons need the right weapon, and any special gear on the sergeant need to be modeled. However, if you want to convert a random squad guy defending spare ammo with his bolt pistol, that model still has his boltgun.

In the case of Daemonic flight, you have to model something. You could use wings. You could make a crazy turbine jump pack. You could put him on a flying stand with no gear (this would be the 'superman' method of flight). Or you can come up with some other crazy thing (Daemon prince hover-roller skating on screamers?). But you have to do something so it is obvious to your opponent what is going on.

chicop76
08-12-2013, 04:48 PM
For the most part, standard equipment in the unit entry doesn't have to be modeled except for main weapon, but any options do. So, if you have a unit of Devastators, the 4 with heavy weapons need the right weapon, and any special gear on the sergeant need to be modeled. However, if you want to convert a random squad guy defending spare ammo with his bolt pistol, that model still has his boltgun.

In the case of Daemonic flight, you have to model something. You could use wings. You could make a crazy turbine jump pack. You could put him on a flying stand with no gear (this would be the 'superman' method of flight). Or you can come up with some other crazy thing (Daemon prince hover-roller skating on screamers?). But you have to do something so it is obvious to your opponent what is going on.

I can state he has daemonic flight and it's very obvious at that point.

Blackcloud6
08-12-2013, 08:33 PM
I finished the Devastators. Here is a pic:

dirkspair
08-13-2013, 08:16 PM
I can state he has daemonic flight and it's very obvious at that point.

you are right, it is very obvious at that point (in time). later on in the game it might not be, especially if you have 3 princes that look kinda the same and only one has the flight upgrade.

dirkspair
08-13-2013, 08:16 PM
nice devs btw...

Blackcloud6
08-14-2013, 06:33 AM
nice devs btw...

Thank you. That Vallejo Game Color Imperial Blue really pops out when hit with a semi-gloss overspray.

magickbk
08-14-2013, 08:16 AM
you are right, it is very obvious at that point (in time). later on in the game it might not be, especially if you have 3 princes that look kinda the same and only one has the flight upgrade.

This has a lot to do with painting. Let's say there are 3, all painted different colors even though they are the same model, assembled in the same way. If someone says, 'the blue one has daemonic flight', then that is easy to track. If they are all just primed black and unpainted, and someone says the one they deploy in the middle has flight, then they all end up in a big assault in the middle, then where did that one end up after consolidation, etc. It can get difficult. If a person only has one, much easier, obviously.

Lord Krungharr
08-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Daemonic Flight should be modeled somehow on the Daemon Prince (or 'Thirster, or LOC). Of course it should always be in your army list, but a simple glance is very helpful. And strictly rules speaking, if you said this blue Devastator has a lascannon and all the other Devastators are red, I might or might not remember 4 or 5 turns later. Then if you shot me with it I would be annoyed and be less sportsmanlike than my usual friendly self. Make the wings/jumpack/pogo stick magnetic or something if you don't want it permanent. The model will look cooler too!

chicop76
08-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Actually the only reason people been pushing daemonic flight as something as modeled is due to 6th. 4.5, 5, and early 6th it wasn't an issue since in so many ways daemonic flight pretty much said it didn't have to be modeled.

With 6th it's a bit vague. however i have daemonic flight on evrything anyway, so it's not an issue. 6th is slighly pissing me off due to not needing flight modeled in tournaments, but the push to model it now, after said models are already painted, etc.

Asuryan
08-15-2013, 05:45 AM
With 6th it's a bit vague. however i have daemonic flight on evrything anyway, so it's not an issue. 6th is slighly pissing me off due to not needing flight modeled in tournaments, but the push to model it now, after said models are already painted, etc.

I completely agree with this, I'm in an escalation league and a demon player has some beautifully painted demon prince's that he uses 2 of which are older models. The only one with wings or any modeled version, is the one from the new demon prince set.