PDA

View Full Version : Relic blade & storm shield

mercer
11-18-2009, 06:40 AM
I have been recently told I cannot use a relic blade and a storm shield, because the relic blade is two handed.

I had a look in the rule book and it says any weapon which is two handed then another weapon cannot be used, fair enough.

I checked out the space marine codex and it says the storm shield gives 3+ invulnerable save and the extra attack in close combat cannot be claimed. Thats ok.

I then checked out the relic blade rules, which says it counts as a power weapon and due to size and weight cannot get the extra attack for a additional close combat weapon.

No where in the rules for the relic blade does it say its a two handed weapon, only in the description, which is different to rules. It only says no extra attack for a additional close combat weapon, doesn't say you cannot have one. So if I took a chainsword instead for example I wouldn't get the extra attack.

First time this has been mentioned and I've posted this list about in multiple forums and never mentioned before.

What do you say? Doesn't say in the relic blades rules its a two handed weapon, just cannot get the extra attack.

Crevab
11-18-2009, 06:42 AM
By the FAQ, you can equip both at the same time.

Melissia
11-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Right, download and print out the FAQ.

mercer
11-18-2009, 06:55 AM
Link to read said FAQ?

pgarfunkle
11-18-2009, 07:04 AM
https://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2250129_CodexSpaceMarinesFAQ_Jan2009

The FAQs can be found on the games workshop website by looking under articles and then gaming

mercer
11-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks! :)

Brass Scorpion
11-18-2009, 09:56 AM
By the wording you can apparently use a Relic Blade and Stormshield at the same time in spite of the conflict with the idea of the sword being a two-handed weapon and shields traditionally requiring a free hand to use them.

One story-related rationalization I've heard is that since the new Stormshields provide an all aspect saving throw all the time due to force field more than the physical shield itself, the bearer could wear it on his back instead of carrying it on an arm and still get the protection of it. Techno-babble aside, the rules seem to allow it and rules are rules.

Cruor Vault
11-18-2009, 11:16 AM
One could also rationalize it as the width/thickness of the sword increasing its weight and making it to hard to gain a benefit of two weapons rather than its length. Thusly, while it may be too heavy to use in conjunction with another weapon it could quite reasonably be used with a shield.

Duke
11-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Not ot mention that it is ungodly expensive... However as everyone has agreed, rules are rules.

Duke

DarkLink
11-18-2009, 05:42 PM
The only relevance that two-handed weapons have anymore is that it prevents you from getting +1A from having a second close combat weapon. That's it. Storm Shield+ Relic Blade is perfectly legal.

Mike X
11-18-2009, 06:03 PM
The only relevance that two-handed weapons have anymore is that it prevents you from getting +1A from having a second close combat weapon. That's it. Storm Shield+ Relic Blade is perfectly legal.

Yup. My force commander is equipped with both a relic blade and a stormbolter, for example.

Duke
11-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Interesting combination... Relic and storm bolter
duke

Brother Tibirius
11-23-2009, 02:35 PM
all right so from that point on could we say the same about a pair of lightning claws and a storm shield for the blood angels veterant squad (not that i would actualy do it because of the point cost wich is about 70 pts for a model ) but it says any model may buy a storm shield for 10 pts . and same model may replace bolter or ccw by a pair of lightning claws for 30 pts, sounds abusif..... I know that i could simply take 1 Lc for less points but for the look of the miniature, i was wondering if i could

Melissia
11-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Interesting combination... Relic and storm bolter
duke

I'd do it with blessed weapons if I could, on my Canonesses. Don't think I can though... hrm.

MarshalAdamar
11-23-2009, 04:54 PM
I find the hang up on the relic blade being two handed sort of humorous.

I mean the THUNDER HAMMER you can wield with a storm shield but the big sword NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Silly.

MarshalAdamar
11-23-2009, 05:01 PM
all right so from that point on could we say the same about a pair of lightning claws and a storm shield for the blood angels veterant squad (not that i would actualy do it because of the point cost wich is about 70 pts for a model ) but it says any model may buy a storm shield for 10 pts . and same model may replace bolter or ccw by a pair of lightning claws for 30 pts, sounds abusif..... I know that i could simply take 1 Lc for less points but for the look of the miniature, i was wondering if i could

Hmmmm. Interesting. But it wouldn't do you any good to buy the pair of lightning claws.

With the storm shield you never get +1 A for having two close combat weapons so why not just buy one lightning claw and a storm shield and save a butt load of points.

Nabterayl
11-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Hmmmm. Interesting. But it wouldn't do you any good to buy the pair of lightning claws.

With the storm shield you never get +1 A for having two close combat weapons so why not just buy one lightning claw and a storm shield and save a butt load of points.
By the same token, if you wanted to model a BAV with two lightning claws and a storm shield and only pay for a single lightning claw and a storm shield, I would not care, as the second lightning claw looks cool but does not actually make the model play differently.

Brother Tibirius
11-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Well my my question was more on the possibility of buying the claws and the storm shield i know it would be a waste because the bonus attack would be lost per the storm shield rule but as i mention it would be only for look id buy only 1 lightning claw and put the second for show

Nabterayl
11-30-2009, 05:04 PM
I would certainly let you model a Blood Angel vet with two lightning claws and a storm shield, but only pay for one lightning claw and a storm shield.