PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen - What do you make of them?

Mr Mystery
08-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Evening peeps.

So, picked up the new book yesterday, and I've been meandering my way through it.

Got to say, I'm kind of impressed!

Saurus are a brutal unit now, especially given that Spears are free for them! In a horde formation, with Predatory Fighter there's not a lot going to stand up to that.

Temple Guard too. The bodyguard rule is well written, and prevents silly sniping with Boltthrowers and that (something I'm all in favour of). Plus, against shooting they have a pretty decent 3+ save!

Yes, the I1 is still a bit of an issue, as it leaves them prone to I death spells, but hey, you can't have it all!

Slann....not sure about them to be honest. Been a while since I last took note of their stats, but they seem nicely squishy now. T4 and W5 isn't especially great shakes. Though of course one does have to plough through Temple Guard to get to him, and that's not a fight I especially look forward to!

Skinks remain Skinks. Irritating, but nicely restrained by the reduced effectiveness of Skirmishers in 8th Ed. I got heartily sick of the non-tactical genius of simply having your Skinks run round and round one of my units, slowly killing it to death.

And the monsters. I'm a massive monster fan in general, and these ones are tasty! Does leave the special section pretty full, but given it can account for 50% of your army, it's not that restrictive.

Bastiladons and Trogolodons, being new kits are of course pretty damned close to being 'must haves'. Solar Engine brings a very welcome +1 I to all and sundry. Whilst not exactly ninjaification of your units, I'll take I2 over I1 any day! Trogolodon is frankly awesome! Useful ranged ability, with D3 wounds. But the Primeval Roar really tweaks my switches. Soups up your Saurus units something rotten!

And oddly....Jungle Swarms. Total muse have! Not normally a fan of Swarm, but the 'They're everywhere' rule is just fantastic. Combined even a small unit with some Saurus and any enemy unit in combat is going to feel it. Well. Feel it if anyone survives!

Magic Items follow 8th Ed norm, in that they're few in number, and useful more than game breaking (again, this is something I favour as a gamer. Feel free to disagree of course!). However, Sacred Stegadon Helm is a compulsory purchase! +1 save (on an Oldblood, that's a 2+ save on foot when combined with a shield) is awesome enough, let alone the impact hits, and the +1 toughness. Plus, it's cheap cost allows you to still take the Piranha Blade, meaning your Oldblood is going to mince anything!

Cloak of Feathers is pretty useful on a Priest. Yes it places him in massive amounts of danger, but with the Slann able to case through him, you can get into really horrible places for some direct damage spells!

Cube of Darkness - Box of No-Brainer! Switches off the majority of remains in play spell, meaning you can potentially ruin your opponents carefully crafted web of spells. And for just 5 points more than a Dispel Scroll? Yes please Santa!

So that's my run down, and yes I've missed loads out! But how about you!?

Allen Broussard
08-05-2013, 09:40 AM
picking up my copy wednesday. looking forward to it.

Was planning on running a fun settup myself but i'll need the exact specifics to work out the kinks.

Slann + temple guard boxed by a bastiladon and trog with fun bits.

Skinks with croxigars and flying skink priest on one flank.

Carnosaur old one and either sauras block or swarms and salamanders on other flank.

Martin96
08-05-2013, 03:03 PM
I got mine today.
In my opinion, the new lizardmen are well done. Many units have been improved (Saurus,swarms,...). A combination of those two units, in my eyes, is able to deal lots of damage.
The "sharpened horns" upgrade for stegadons appears to make the stegadon a good monster/monstrous unit killer. But I'm a little bit disapointed with the magic lore. Was Vetock/GW to uncreative to think of an own lore for the slanns? Don't missunderstand me, the high magic is powerful, especially the lizards lore attribute. Might become interesting together with the master of lore discipline for the slann. Then you have 8 spells you can replace with any other. This could become lots of fun. Talking about the slann brings me to the disciplines he can buy. It's good to see they got a point reduction, altough the slann has no free one anymore.
So that's what I think after the first glance...

Ze_Shoggoth
08-06-2013, 03:30 AM
Still waiting for mine. A quick question, what is the minimum of Saurus cavalry now?

Mr Mystery
08-06-2013, 04:24 AM
5+ for the Saurus Cavalry.

Spears are an upgrade.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-06-2013, 04:28 AM
GIANT FLIPPIN' DINOSAURS.

That is all.

Mr Mystery
08-06-2013, 05:15 AM
Yes but which is your favourite dude?

And if you say Barney, there'll be trouble!

Really quite tempted by Lizardmen now. The Saurus are the offensive unit of my dreams next to Ogres! Reckon two big blocks of them, with a centre of Slann + horde of Temple Guard and I should be able to kick out a lot of pain!

lattd
08-06-2013, 06:35 AM
I now want to see a sauras on barney conversion....