PDA

View Full Version : Guard Ambulance

ColCorbane
11-17-2009, 04:18 PM
I picked up a battered chimera in a trade at the club and decided the it wasn't good to use as a chimera, so I decided to do something different with it. I've almost finished converted it into an ambulance. I've just got to add the side flap panels for the red crosses.

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/Col-Corbane/Imperial%20Guard/ambulance/SDC12303.jpg

Any thoughts?

Lord Azaghul
11-17-2009, 04:26 PM
I like it.
In a campaign around here we had a few special rules one was 'Man Down, Man Down" If your special character was 'killed' we could be evac'd to safty. That looks like a good choice to a guard commander!

Aldramelech
11-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Ive toyed with that idear myself. Looking good, like the stretchers.

Just_Me
11-18-2009, 12:55 AM
Kudos!

I have always wanted to do that myself, never had the disposable funds to indulge that desire though...:(

Please give us some pics of the finished product.

Jay Biga
11-18-2009, 01:37 AM
Nice!

Rupert
11-18-2009, 04:51 AM
I will have to do that myself one day. Nice model.

dendts
11-18-2009, 07:02 AM
i like it, looking forward to see it finshed

ColCorbane
11-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Cheers guys, glad you like it.

Shadow Queen
11-18-2009, 02:43 PM
any red crossess or cresants?

ColCorbane
11-18-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm planning red crosses, as I've just put the panel flaps on, although, depending on how confident I feel when I paint it, I might do the imperial 40k symbol.

We'll see when I get to it.

emperorsaxe
11-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Making lemonade out of lemons I'm liking it nice one.
Respects, Emperorsaxe

Kahoolin
11-19-2009, 03:57 AM
Crosses and crescents both seem a bit strange and inappropriate for 40k. It always bugs me when I see it. Any bold red symbol on white would create the same feel I think, what about just a skull, or a winged skull? They're all over guard models (and pretty much everyone else in the 41st millenium it seems).

The model looks cool.

dendts
11-19-2009, 05:50 AM
Crosses and crescents both seem a bit strange and inappropriate for 40k. It always bugs me when I see it. Any bold red symbol on white would create the same feel I think, what about just a skull, or a winged skull? They're all over guard models (and pretty much everyone else in the 41st millenium it seems).

The model looks cool.

a red imperial eagle on a white background could work as well

krispy
11-19-2009, 06:08 AM
why not jsut the standard medic signs like the ones for the marines?

you can see them here: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Apothecary

/krispy

ColCorbane
11-19-2009, 07:19 AM
why not jsut the standard medic signs like the ones for the marines?

you can see them here: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Apothecary

/krispy

I did think about doing that, but I wasn't sure I could pull it off, plus I've already used the red cross symbol on my medical stores. I won't be using a red crescent as that's only used in muslin countries.

lobster-overlord
11-19-2009, 09:36 AM
muslin countries.

Countries full of bandages? (spell check!)

One would think that if they lose thousands of years of tech, they'd lose hundreds of years worth of logos and images too.

The Vostroyan Medic has the shoulder pad on his left shoulder adorned with the helix and wings like one of the apothecary emblems on the wiki link in the previous post as well, so that's pretty standard across the Imperium then.

John M.

archimbald
11-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Ive toyed with that idear myself. Looking good, like the stretchers.

ditto

love imagination

Mystery.Shadow
11-20-2009, 07:36 PM
To me it really doesn't look 'Ambulance' enough. Perhaps some blinking lights on top, and why does it have a Heay Bolter??

Good start tho. The Stretchers are a good add !

ColCorbane
11-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Countries full of bandages? (spell check!)

One would think that if they lose thousands of years of tech, they'd lose hundreds of years worth of logos and images too.

The Vostroyan Medic has the shoulder pad on his left shoulder adorned with the helix and wings like one of the apothecary emblems on the wiki link in the previous post as well, so that's pretty standard across the Imperium then.

John M.

I just don't think that I'm that good of a painter mate.

ditto
love imagination

Cheers mate

To me it really doesn't look 'Ambulance' enough. Perhaps some blinking lights on top, and why does it have a Heay Bolter??

Good start tho. The Stretchers are a good add !

Military ambulances don't tend to have flashing lights, that's more for use civilian use on normal roads. I've got loads of pics of them on my blog :-

http://corbaniaprime.blogspot.com/2009/11/its-ambulance.html

On the bolter, under the Geneva convention, medics are allowed to carry firearms in order to protect themselves, their unit and their casualties. At the end of the day, they're soldiers first and medics second.

rustbucket
11-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Using the Apothecarion helix seems to me to be the most appropriate choice.

ColCorbane
11-21-2009, 09:57 AM
I just don't think I can pull it off mate, plus I'm not really into the whole 40k gothic tecno thing. I prefer my guard to have a more real worth look.

Aldramelech
11-21-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm with you on the Red crosses. All my medics have red cross symbols on the shoulder pad, not because I cant paint the 40K ones, I just prefer the red cross. Its more recognizable. The only reason GW dont use it is because they'd get sued by the Red Cross.

Just_Me
11-21-2009, 10:58 AM
I just don't think I can pull it off mate, plus I'm not really into the whole 40k gothic tecno thing. I prefer my guard to have a more real worth look.

The Caduceus (aka winged spiral thingy) is a "real world" symbol, it is the symbol often used today to represent medicine (although technically that is a confusion of Rod of Asclepius). You could easily use a stylized version of the actual Rod of Asclepius symbol (a staff with a single serpent wrapped around it).

The symbol on the Apothecary and Vostroyan medic is a very stylized double-helix symbol that is essentially 3 diamonds stacked end to end, not terribly hard to do. It is probably either a representation of DNA or a very stylized Caduceus.

Having said all of that, I think the Red Cross is a perfectly acceptable symbol to use, it is simple, clear, and almost everyone who sees it will know what it means.

I do have to ask though, if you don't like the whole gothic/steam-punk thing the Imperium has going, why don't you just play Tau? :D

ColCorbane
11-21-2009, 11:50 AM
The Caduceus (aka winged spiral thingy) is a "real world" symbol, it is the symbol often used today to represent medicine (although technically that is a confusion of Rod of Asclepius). You could easily use a stylized version of the actual Rod of Asclepius symbol (a staff with a single serpent wrapped around it).

Yeah, I know it is a real world symbol, it was on my cap badge for six years but the ambulance I drove still had a red cross on the side, and this project is a homage to that, plus, as I've said before, I don't like the 40k aquilla madness.

I do have to ask though, if you don't like the whole gothic/steam-punk thing the Imperium has going, why don't you just play Tau?

Guard were the closest force to the real forces, and at the time guard were pretty poor game wise, so I thought they'd be fun to play with.

Just_Me
11-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I know it is a real world symbol, it was on my cap badge for six years but the ambulance I drove still had a red cross on the side, and this project is a homage to that, plus, as I've said before, I don't like the 40k aquilla madness.

Ah, my apologies, I didn't know you were in the service. So many people kept mentioning the "winged spiral thingy" that I thought it deserved some explanation.

As I said, I think that the red cross is a perfectly reasonable emblem for an Imperial Guard medic (my medic has one), it's exactly the sort of simple yet recognizable symbol that would be stenciled onto a vehicle in the field. The fact that you have a personal affinity for the symbol is even more reason to have it in your army.

Guard were the closest force to the real forces, and at the time guard were pretty poor game wise, so I thought they'd be fun to play with.

That was more of a joke than anything else. When I first started playing I didn't really care for the decorative gothic flavor of 40k, but it has grown on me since then, and now its my favorite part of the universe. When I'm in the mood for more mundane clear-cut tech I go to other sources for my fix.

I can certainly understand the motivation for patterning the Guard on real world military forces, it's mostly my love of military history that prompted and shaped my Guard army.

ColCorbane
11-21-2009, 02:57 PM
That was more of a joke than anything else. When I first started playing I didn't really care for the decorative gothic flavor of 40k, but it has grown on me since then, and now its my favorite part of the universe. When I'm in the mood for more mundane clear-cut tech I go to other sources for my fix.

I was actually the reverse, I started with nids, then grey knights, then marines and then guard, so I sort of really got into the 40k fluff and then slowly moved away from it. Don't get me wrong, I love the universe, the fluff, the books and my other armies but with my guard I wanted something simpler.

I did these alternative advisers because I just didn't think that the GW ones fitted with my guard.

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=1372

Valkerie
11-21-2009, 06:59 PM
This is the 41st Millenium, so I doubt the Geneva Convention is still in effect. And even if it is, I doubt Chaos, Dark Eldar, or Orks would pay any attention to it. In fact, they would probably prefer taking on ambulances and hospitals, being softer targets and all, so even an ambulance would need something for self protection. I'm liking the model, looks good and can't wait to see it finished.

person person
11-22-2009, 01:02 AM
+1

Love the concept. I think a red cross would be fine on it.

The AKH
11-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Looking good, Col Corbane. Can't wait to see it painted.

Have you thought about whether you'll use it in games or will it just be a character piece for your army?

ColCorbane
12-09-2009, 08:37 AM
@AKH - at the moment, it's just a modelling piece, but who knows in the future.

I finished painting it up last night, so here ya go ....

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/Col-Corbane/Imperial%20Guard/ambulance/SDC12481.jpg

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/Col-Corbane/Imperial%20Guard/ambulance/SDC12480.jpg

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/Col-Corbane/Imperial%20Guard/ambulance/SDC12479.jpg

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/Col-Corbane/Imperial%20Guard/ambulance/SDC12478.jpg

ColCorbane
12-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Final pic, Bols - can we have more than four please. :)

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/Col-Corbane/Imperial%20Guard/ambulance/SDC12477.jpg

Just_Me
12-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Very nice, very nice indeed. You are a skilled painter (better than me :p).

Aldramelech
12-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Good stuff. Reminds me of a 432 ambulance.

person person
12-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Turned out awesome.

Duke
12-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Looks nice, not too overdone.

Duke

Cryl
12-17-2009, 02:22 AM
I love that... I think my Ultramar PDF need one, final pic 'borrowed' for 'inspiration' :)

Denzark
12-17-2009, 02:24 AM
Good stuff. Reminds me of a 432 ambulance.

AAAAAARRGGGGGGGGGHHHHH Not the 432!!!!!!!!!!

Aldramelech
12-17-2009, 04:32 AM
You love em really! lol

Shadow Queen
12-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Fantastic, you going to do the boys and girls from M*A*S*H?

krispy
12-18-2009, 02:25 AM
nice work! that looks really good - and the crosses turned out okay i guess (im just a fan of the helix thingy ;))