PDA

View Full Version : 1850 Mech Imperial Guard

Learn2Eel
07-29-2013, 02:14 AM
Hey all, I'm bouncing list ideas around at the moment (like my recent Grey Knight lists) and another army I've entertained is a mechanized Imperial Guard force. And when I saw mechanized, I really mean it; every model must be itself a vehicle or be mounted in a vehicle. I don't want to spam anything unless I actually have to (i.e. Chimeras and Veterans) and nor am I looking to counter any specific list. I like themed lists with a lot of variety, and this seems to have it in spades. Any hints and suggestions are greatly welcomed, such as whether to squadron the Vendettas or the Hellhounds, etc. Just an FYI, I am very unfamiliar with mech IG having never faced it or played with it myself, so any advice you have is greatly appreciated. Cheers.

HQ
Company Command Squad w/ three plasma guns, chimera - 150

Troops
Veterans w/ three plasma guns, chimera - 170
Veterans w/ three plasma guns, chimera - 170
Veterans w/ three melta guns - 100 (in Vendetta)
Veterans w/ three melta guns - 100 (in Vendetta)

Fast Attack
Hellhounds (2) - 260
Vendetta - 130
Vendetta - 130

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Demolishers (2) - 330
Griffons (2) - 150
Manticore - 160

Wolfshade
07-29-2013, 02:18 AM
I like this list a lot. My planned out Mech Guard is similiarly all in tanks, though it was concieved before flyers so it was all tank based. I need to re-visit it to take into account the flying menance

Learn2Eel
07-29-2013, 03:37 AM
I've found tanks in particular are what flyers tend to destroy better than anything else (from extensive experience with Heldrakes and on the receiving end with Tyranids) and so I feel having at least two Vendettas in games of 1500 points and up, and maybe/or a few Hydras are great insurance to deal with enemy flyers. If you don't mind units with actual artillery rules - i.e. Toughness seven, two wounds, etc - then Sabres seem to be the way to go otherwise, but for me, it is mech all the way :)

Only recently have I discovered the gem that is the Griffon; seriously, these things are mean for the cost. You can have a pair of them for only slightly more the cost of a Colossus!

Wolfshade
07-29-2013, 04:04 AM
I think those sell propelled guns are often overlooked for the standard bassie/LR options. Like the old Bombard was a great beasty which I never saw used.

chicop76
07-29-2013, 05:36 AM
I have the really old metal griffon. It's really cheap and hit's most of the time. It surprises people when I use it to pop vehicles like the chimeria. All I need is 5 or higher to pen while rolling two dice.

I think you should field a few hydra's. With the updated FAQ they have skyfire and ignore jink. This way it gives you more anti air and anti skimmer options, and in some cases anti bike.

The banewolf was my 5th edition pick. It wounds and kills marines on 2s. I have to revist the vehicle rules again. However it is a fast vehicle, so what I usually do or did in 5th was max moved it across the board and popped smoke. While all my other chimeras rolled foward. It worked pretty well and I was able to plasma/ melta the guys dumb enough to get my tank.

That being said when my banewolf survived I was able to double flame my targets the following turn. I like the hellhound, but I like the banewolf for dealing with MEQ. Wouldn't be a bad ideal to have banewolf and a hellhound.

Guard have soo many tanks. Is the manticore the strength 10 small blast or the stength 6 ap 3 ignore cover?

You running a lot of veterans. I am so use to running platoons.

Example

Pcs: 4 plasma guns, chimera
Squad 1: melta gun, chimera
Squad 2: melta gun, chimera
S weapons team: 3 melta gun ( in vendetta)
S weapons team: 3 flamers ( in vendetta depending on army)
Veteran Squad: 3 plasma, chimera
2 Armoured Sentinals: 2x plasma
Banewolf
Hellhound
Demolisher
Griffon
Prassk in the solid round lemon rust

That was a portion of my older list.

With guard I am thinking of running mortar rounds now, not sure yet. Also some grenade launcher squads. With enough chimeras on the board your multi can act as anti air. However I have to see if heavy weapons teams can take multi lasers. If not than auto_cannons. The ideal is to cast bring it down on them and they will be pretty effective anti-air. Also taking a hydra tank is not a bad ideal.

I might take Tau allies anyway. Which will be

Swiss army commander
Riptide
Kroot Snipers
Pathfnders???, or Tau Bomber
Railsides and missile drones

Learn2Eel
07-29-2013, 07:51 AM
The only issue I have with Hydras is that now they have to snap fire at ground targets, and given that I already have a pair of Vendettas for anti-air duties, the value of the Hydras in my list is a little low. That isn't to say they aren't good at what they do - they rock - but having to snap fire at ground targets, particularly when I already have above par anti-air, is a bit of a downer for me.

I guess it depends on the meta, personally. Bane Wolves scare the heck out of Marine players and are usually target number one for that reason; hell, most players in my area are Marine players. I think I prefer the Torrent template though, particularly as it will get more opportunities to fire its gun - even on the first turn - it doesn't have to get so close to enemy units, and it can position its template a lot better. In some cases, a Hellhound will actually do as much damage as a Bane Wolf simply because it gets a lot more hits. I do agree though that one Bane Wolf or two would be sweet. I'll have to try them out, I'll use a turret-less proxy and try both out for a bit.

Yes, the Manticore has four missiles, and each time you fire you roll a D3 to see how many large blasts are placed, and each one is S10 AP4 Barrage Ordnance. In 6th Edition, they are godly and are possibly the scariest thing imaginable for horde armies of any kind. And yes, it is large blast, not small blast!

In a pure mechanized list I think Veterans are better simply because of the special weapons and the higher Ballistic Skill, though in a mixed list I would definitely have a few platoons in there. Platoons are amazing!
Heavy Weapons Teams can't take multi lasers unfortunately, but they can get auto cannons - auto cannons are probably the best bet for them anyway.

chicop76
07-29-2013, 10:24 AM
The only issue I have with Hydras is that now they have to snap fire at ground targets, and given that I already have a pair of Vendettas for anti-air duties, the value of the Hydras in my list is a little low. That isn't to say they aren't good at what they do - they rock - but having to snap fire at ground targets, particularly when I already have above par anti-air, is a bit of a downer for me.

I guess it depends on the meta, personally. Bane Wolves scare the heck out of Marine players and are usually target number one for that reason; hell, most players in my area are Marine players. I think I prefer the Torrent template though, particularly as it will get more opportunities to fire its gun - even on the first turn - it doesn't have to get so close to enemy units, and it can position its template a lot better. In some cases, a Hellhound will actually do as much damage as a Bane Wolf simply because it gets a lot more hits. I do agree though that one Bane Wolf or two would be sweet. I'll have to try them out, I'll use a turret-less proxy and try both out for a bit.

Yes, the Manticore has four missiles, and each time you fire you roll a D3 to see how many large blasts are placed, and each one is S10 AP4 Barrage Ordnance. In 6th Edition, they are godly and are possibly the scariest thing imaginable for horde armies of any kind. And yes, it is large blast, not small blast!

In a pure mechanized list I think Veterans are better simply because of the special weapons and the higher Ballistic Skill, though in a mixed list I would definitely have a few platoons in there. Platoons are amazing!
Heavy Weapons Teams can't take multi lasers unfortunately, but they can get auto cannons - auto cannons are probably the best bet for them anyway.

I wonder how 3 manticores would fare. I am surprised I never see more than one. I forgot about 4 shot wonder and the one shot wonder.

I always dreamed to do an all grenade launcher army. With lots of special weapons teams. With lots of mortars.

Forgot about that. I only used my guard once for 6th and have to relearn them. Ben playing a lot of Tau and Daemons.

I can see you point with an all mech list.

I was also thinkin of giving the HQ a banner. If you take on you will be scoring. It just gives you more options and 5 scoring units instead of 4.

Popsical
07-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Seen a lot of folks have a lascannon in their chimera vets poking outta the top hatch to shoot stuff up.
Seems to work very well.

chicop76
07-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Seen a lot of folks have a lascannon in their chimera vets poking outta the top hatch to shoot stuff up.
Seems to work very well.

Works better with regular squads. Worst bs, but it's harder to take advantage of the plasma and melta weapons if the veterans are sitting still.

Learn2Eel
07-29-2013, 08:37 PM
I wonder how 3 manticores would fare. I am surprised I never see more than one. I forgot about 4 shot wonder and the one shot wonder.

I always dreamed to do an all grenade launcher army. With lots of special weapons teams. With lots of mortars.

Forgot about that. I only used my guard once for 6th and have to relearn them. Ben playing a lot of Tau and Daemons.

I can see you point with an all mech list.

I was also thinkin of giving the HQ a banner. If you take on you will be scoring. It just gives you more options and 5 scoring units instead of 4.

I think three Manticores, though cheap, might leave your army without variety. They work against damn near anything, but there comes a time where you need one or two AV14 tanks just to scare the hell out of enemies.

The Regimental Standard doesn't make them scoring, it lets them count as having scored an extra wound for combat resolution. Still useful in a more elite army due to the re-rolls to Morale/Pinning within 12".

Seems to work very well.

As chicop said, it depends on the list. Veterans can take three special weapons and have Ballistic Skill four, and thus are best suited to plasma guns or melta guns in a Chimera. Regular Guardsmen are a little different, as they don't have those options in such an abundance or the greater Ballistic Skill and so can sit back and still be useful.

Learn2Eel
07-29-2013, 10:36 PM
As an alternative, I could do something like this from the Armoured Battle Company.

HQ
Command Tank w/ vanquisher upgrade, beast hunter shells, co-axial heavy stubber – 190

Elites
Commissar Tank w/ vanquisher upgrade, beast hunter shells, co-axial heavy stubber – 190

Troops
Armoured Fist Squad w/ autocannon, flamer, chimera autocannon, heavy flamer – 125
Armoured Fist Squad w/ autocannon, flamer, chimera autocannon, heavy flamer – 125
Siege Tanks w/ two thunderers – 280
Siege Tank w/ one thunderer – 140
Siege Tank w/ one thunderer – 140

Fast Attack
Gunship Squadron w/ two Vultures w/ twin-linked punisher gatling cannon – 310

Heavy Support
Griffon – 75
Griffon – 75
Griffon – 75

FYIs, Leman Russ Thunderers are Demolishers without Heavy Bolters, but they are significantly cheaper. As well, the book says you can only have one squadron of the Fast Attack flyers - either Vendettas or Vultures - and I think Vultures are the better all rounder choice; owing to both Strafing Run and Vector Dancer, they excel against ground targets and can get behind enemy flyers and shoot them in the rear armour. Pretty much all I ever really have to worry about in this army flyer-wise is a rear armour 12 flyer.

Learn2Eel
07-30-2013, 02:03 AM
Or this, if I wanted to do the themed "no scoring units!" army.

HQ
Command Tank w/ vanquisher upgrade, beast hunter shells, co-axial heavy stubber – 190

Elites
Commissar Tank w/ vanquisher upgrade, beast hunter shells, co-axial heavy stubber – 190
Commisar Tank w/ infernus shells – 165

Troops
Leman Russ Demolisher – 165

Fast Attack
Vulture w/ twin-linked punisher cannon – 155

Heavy Support
Avenger – 150
Avenger – 150

I don't like the Thunderer models at all. The only real issue with counts as would be that the Demolisher Cannon on the Thunderer isn't turret mounted, unlike the actual Leman Russ Demolisher. I may have to ask around and see what my LGS manager thinks; if I don't add in the hull heavy bolter/lascannon on the Demolishers then I should be able to get away with using them as Thunderers, just remembering to keep the turret facing forward at all times. Then I could actually add the hellfury missiles back on to the Avengers. In fact, is this better?

HQ
Command Tank w/ vanquisher upgrade, hull lascannon, beast hunter shells, co-axial heavy stubber – 205
Command Tank w/ vanquisher upgrade, hull lascannon, beast hunter shells, co-axial heavy stubber – 205

Elites

Troops
Thunderer - 140
Thunderer - 140
Thunderer - 140

Fast Attack
Vulture w/ twin-linked punisher cannon, illum flares (throwaway five points) – 160

Heavy Support
Avenger w/ hellfury missiles – 170
Avenger w/ hellfury missiles – 170

Vehicles, monstrous creatures, light infantry and enemy flyers will be decimated at ridiculous rates. Medium infantry and heavy infantry (3+ armour or better) have to hug cover for any chance of survival. For a fun "no scoring" army list it sounds pretty whack.

Brennen
07-30-2013, 08:52 AM
I'm in the process of building an Armored Battle Company and have just got back from Gamesday with some cool Forgeworld tanks. My list will look something like this:

Command Tank with Vanquisher cannon, Beast Hunter shells, and Artificer armor. (My monstrous creature hunter)

Commissar Tank with Battle cannon and Infernus shells. (To kill Tau with those pesky cover saves)

Lemun Russ Battle tank

Lemun Russ Battle tank

Lemun Russ Punisher tank with HB sponsons (Infantry killer and some AV 10-11 Anti-air)

Thunderer (love the tank and got one now)

2 Armored Fist squads with Auto-cannon and Grenade launcher, riding in an Auto-cannon Chimera. (scoring units)

2 Medusa's with Enclosed crew compartments (got these at Games day because I think they look awesome)

Either an Allied IG Commissar Lord or a Primus Pysker

Allied Imperial Guard Veteran's unit with Carapace armor, Melta guns, Shotguns, and possibly upgrading to Sgt. Bastonne.

Allied Vendetta for the Vet's to ride in. (Also more anti air)

That gives me 3 scoring units, 6 AV 14 tanks, plenty of AP3 and AP2 big blasts, and some anti-air options. Really this is all about taking a bunch of cool tanks while trying to stay semi-competitive.

Wolfshade
07-30-2013, 09:08 AM
I like the rules for the Thunderers (the IG:FW tank not the Squat heavy weapon squads) but I dislike the model, it looks too much like a Vindicator :/

Learn2Eel
07-30-2013, 09:42 AM
I'm in the process of building an Armored Battle Company and have just got back from Gamesday with some cool Forgeworld tanks. My list will look something like this:

Command Tank with Vanquisher cannon, Beast Hunter shells, and Artificer armor. (My monstrous creature hunter)

Commissar Tank with Battle cannon and Infernus shells. (To kill Tau with those pesky cover saves)

Lemun Russ Battle tank

Lemun Russ Battle tank

Lemun Russ Punisher tank with HB sponsons (Infantry killer and some AV 10-11 Anti-air)

Thunderer (love the tank and got one now)

2 Armored Fist squads with Auto-cannon and Grenade launcher, riding in an Auto-cannon Chimera. (scoring units)

2 Medusa's with Enclosed crew compartments (got these at Games day because I think they look awesome)

Either an Allied IG Commissar Lord or a Primus Pysker

Allied Imperial Guard Veteran's unit with Carapace armor, Melta guns, Shotguns, and possibly upgrading to Sgt. Bastonne.

Allied Vendetta for the Vet's to ride in. (Also more anti air)

That gives me 3 scoring units, 6 AV 14 tanks, plenty of AP3 and AP2 big blasts, and some anti-air options. Really this is all about taking a bunch of cool tanks while trying to stay semi-competitive.

Yeah it looks sweet. A few things I would tweak personally but the mix is awesome.

I like the rules for the Thunderers (the IG:FW tank not the Squat heavy weapon squads) but I dislike the model, it looks too much like a Vindicator :/

Same here, I'm going to ask my LGS manager if I can use Leman Russ Demolishers as counts-as Thunderers instead. Not too much of a stretch - my fluff justification can be that it is an armoured column ferrying damaged Demolishers back to a repair station/base, with air support coming to support them after the initial attack - plus that's three extra Leman Russes I will be buying in store ;)

Brennen
07-30-2013, 09:57 AM
"Too each, his own", in regards to the actual Thunderer model. I like them.

What I'm having trouble on deciding is the Veteran squad:

If I go with a pimped out Commissar Lord, I will just take a regular Vet Sgt with a Shotgun. They have Ld 10 and Stubborn. The cheapest option.

If I go with the Primus Pysker (Which I intend to say fluff wise is that he is an Inquisator), I will take Bastonne. They have Ld 10, are less likely to run do to Bastonne's rules, and an AP3 pistol.

Any suggestions? And a suggestion on a good Inquisator model to counts as my Primus Pysker?