PDA

View Full Version : Astartes weight and height

The Last Lamenter
07-27-2013, 07:26 PM
I've seen the diagram showing astartes height and weight in relation to average man, but the one I'm looking at puts an unarmored marine at 7'6 700 lbs. without armor. That can't be right. Does anyone know the actual height and weight of an unarmored marine? and also, as a side note, I've read in the Word Bearers series and also the first heretic that chaos marines begin to become one with thier armor, but in storm of iron, you have a veteran of the old war who can strip his armour at ease. Is this bonding to the armor unique to word bearers or all CSM? thanks for the info guys, just working on some more fan fiction because I love it and I can but I like to adhere to canon lest my droogs here in chattanooga catch me in some sort of heresy.

jgebi
07-27-2013, 08:14 PM
I always thought armored they were like 9ft+ also the bonding comes down to the marine and the armor type

Dlatrex
07-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Marines comes in a variety of sizes just like people come in a variety of sizes. For example in the USA 95% of adult men are between 5'3" -6'3" (or if you prefer, 99.7% of men are between 5' - 6'6")
Astartes will be the same. They are rarely described in hard figures, usually just called "giant". Sometimes they have been said to stand head and shoulders taller than men... but what sized man?
The Black Library characterizations (especially the Horus Heresy) tend to describe them as huge, and possibly getting bigger with each iteration.

There used to exist a Jes Goodwin interview, in which he "...thinks of marines as 7' to 7'6" with a mass of four basketball players 'bolted together'. The only 'official' source I've ever heard for an Astartes is Captain Titus from the THQ Space marine. In the guide book (http://www.amazon.com/Warhammer-40-000-Marine-Official/dp/0307890236) He is said to have been in service 150 years, and to stand 7'2" and weigh 750lbs.

If you want your marines larger, I'd say that's fine. If you want them shorter, that's fine. Compare 2 soldiers from two very different nations here on the earth and you could find wildly different heights. You may already have reviewed it, but the theories of Philip Sibbering (40k artist) are well thought out, and a fun read.

http://www.philipsibbering.com/wh40k/10-01-marine-morphology.shtml
http://www.philipsibbering.com/wh40k/images/10-01-p04_growthline-429.jpg

Nabterayl
07-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Are you saying "that can't be right" because 600 lbs. seems like too much or too little?

As for the bonding, I don't think that's a Word Bearer thing, just a mutation thing.

Mr.Pickelz
07-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Space Marine details vary greatly among chapters, being a gene-seed issue, and/or among other environmental conditions. In the Ragnar (space wolves) Omnibus, Ragnar meets another space wolf who is the size of a Terminator even though he's in power armor. He also is able to wield a thunderhammer and a lizardman (by the tail) in his off-hand effectively. And then there are chapters who may have taken homage on more gravity intense worlds, or less. I think the recruitment planets would also instill some variables into this equation as well.

Nabterayl
07-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Sergeant Pasanius (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Pasanius_Lysane#.UfSP1Y2shmY) is also noted as being so large that his power armor had to incorporate bits of TDA. So size certainly can vary significantly even if you control for geneseed and recruitment world. In fact, Pasanius actually grew up with Uriel Ventris, so they have the same geneseed, come from the same recruitment world, come from the same specific part of that recruitment world, and come from the same socioeconomic class (and so likely had similar diets, childhood medical care, etc.), and they still have very different sizes.

DemonFerret
07-27-2013, 11:54 PM
Space Marine details vary greatly among chapters, being a gene-seed issue, and/or among other environmental conditions. In the Ragnar (space wolves) Omnibus, Ragnar meets another space wolf who is the size of a Terminator even though he's in power armor. He also is able to wield a thunderhammer and a lizardman (by the tail) in his off-hand effectively. .

Dont forget that Haegr is pretty much unique because of the flaw in the induction process. And i dont think the books said it was a thunderhammer, only that it was a hammer.

Deadlift
07-28-2013, 12:08 AM
There is a book called "Deathwatch" by Steve Parker which came out this year. It follows the training program of the Deathwatch and describes in some detail the physical attributes of the Space Marines involved in the process. One character called "Omni" is described as being incredible short for a marine but also much much bigger in muscle mass and possible the strongest marine in the watch. Many of the marines are described as having various physical differences, they are just far more in the extreme than normal.

Serenapth
07-28-2013, 01:45 AM
A gorilla silverback of over 1.8 metres (5 ft 11 in) and 230 kg (510 lb) has been recorded in the wild. As The DNA of gorillas is highly similar to that of a human, from 95–99% depending on what is counted, and they are the next closest living relatives to humans after the bonobo and common chimpanzee.
So with then chest size and musculature of a gorilla plus a foot of height, 600-700 pounds would seem nothing of note.

Nabterayl
07-28-2013, 08:23 AM
Especially since an Astartes' musculature is specifically noted as being denser than a regular human being's, and their bones are specifically noted as being reinforced with ceramics.

Katharon
08-13-2013, 01:39 PM
The most common description for a Space Marine in nearly every book that has them interacting with mortals is that regular humans most often only come to their mid-chest area in height. The most accurate picture I've seen for this is the following:

http://imageshack.com/a/img42/3483/smheightcomparison.jpg

I remember reading somewhere that it was only when they were fully armed and armored that they weighed 700 lbs. Without armor and weapons, they were closer to 400-500.

The Last Lamenter
08-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Now that seems about right, but what does the armor itself weigh?

Nabterayl
08-17-2013, 08:38 AM
According to FFG, 180 kg (400 lbs). Which is in about the right ballpark, I think.

pohanew
08-23-2013, 06:14 AM
I've seen the diagram showing astartes height and weight in relation to average man, but the one I'm looking at puts an unarmored marine at 7'6 700 lbs. without armor. That can't be right. Does anyone know the actual height and weight of an unarmored marine? and also, as a side note, I've read in the Word Bearers series and also the first heretic that chaos marines begin to become one with thier armor, but in storm of iron, you have a veteran of the old war who can strip his armour at ease. Is this bonding to the armor unique to word bearers or all CSM? thanks for the info guys, just working on some more fan fiction because I love it and I can but I like to adhere to canon lest my droogs here in chattanooga catch me in some sort of heresy.

the Armour bonding depends how corrupt you are in void stalker the night lords cant easily take their Armour off because they are not corrupted even thought their heretics and this is common in the word bearers because they started the whole Horus heresy and are seen as the most corrupt.

Wolfshade
08-23-2013, 06:22 AM
Surely we should be considering what their mass is as their weight is dependent on the gravity that they are experiancing at any given time...

jgebi
08-23-2013, 06:25 AM
it comes down to how long the spend in the armor and what mark, as the armor has to perforate the skin which would mean over time the skin grows onto the armor and eventually the useless skin is removed as it serves no use. This happens more often in choas legions as they spend more time in their armor where as the loyalists have their armor taken of them and cleaned regularly to stop that from happening.

Katharon
08-23-2013, 07:45 AM
it comes down to how long the spend in the armor and what mark, as the armor has to perforate the skin which would mean over time the skin grows onto the armor and eventually the useless skin is removed as it serves no use. This happens more often in choas legions as they spend more time in their armor where as the loyalists have their armor taken of them and cleaned regularly to stop that from happening.

No. Regular power armor does not, in some sort of process, eventually replace the skin of the Astartes who wears it. The reason that Chaos Space Marines experience this sort of mutation is due to the nature of Chaos. Word Bearers are the first legion to have Possessed Chaos Space Marines, binding their flesh to that of a daemon -- this process is what has caused many of them to experience the binding of armor and flesh together until they are one in the same. Chaos Space Marines are rarely ever shown in writing in a situation where they are able to remove their armor (most are always in heavy combat), hence why you get to see Kroeger remove his armor in "Storm of Iron," he is part of a siege force and doesn't have to always be on the front line, so he gets to remove his armor and have it cleaned by the slave guardswoman he took (both a form of cruel punishment and a way to keep it clean).

Katharon
08-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Also, jgebi, you are forgetting the Black Carapace. It works in a fashion that might be considered similar to the Matrix movies, where the humans "jack in" into the matrix via the implant plugs in their skin. Space Marines have similar plugs that connect their armor to their black carapace, which is subdermal, and allows them to interface with the armor on the neural level.