PDA

View Full Version : Playing for fun

LordGrise
07-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Okies, so there I was, responding to Pssyche (hope that's how the handle is spelled) on the thread started by Eldar_Atog (I don't have that card::grin:: but I wish WOC was still doing Cracked sets) and I caught myself ranting, and hijacking the thread all at the same time. So instead I'm gonna back the rant down a couple notches and start a new thread, because while I know this subject has likely been done before, I can't remember when on this board, so here we go.

There are basically two flavors of player in 40K, AFAICT (As Far As I Can Tell). There are those who play for fun - either at home, a friend's place, or at the store, pretty much for the socializing and the get-together - and there are those who play for the competition, the struggle, and the right to claim victory. The honorable ones want a fair fight, and will go out of their way to ensure they get it - more power to them. The bad ones want to pwn their victims as quickly as possible, and they are the reason I do not play competitively, because in my experience they outnumber the honorable power players.

That was my experience beginning this game. I was in the US Air Force when I bought into 40K, because I had friends on the base were into it. I bought into Tau pretty much blindly because I loved the way they looked, and I loved the fluff. Finally, some Good Guys! The day I bought in, I walked into Frontier Games (sadly defunct now) with my tax return, and I cleaned the store out of Tau. Life was good.

Within six months, orders had carried all but one of those friends off, never to be seen again - and the one guy left fell in with a new crowd. I went and checked them out. Yeah... I was the guy with the pitiful handful of models, unpainted, not very well put together, wall-flowering at the store trying to learn. I quickly learned not to go there anymore - I apparently embarrassed my 'friend', and it ended with me literally being laughed out of the store for having unpainted models. So I tried a couple other places. I was the fresh meat in the prison yard sense - tabled, over and over again. So I 'sold' my collection, built and not, to a guy who never paid me - and when I got what was left of it back, he had ruined it all by 'priming' everything in either black Rustoleum, or white Kilz. or both. For those of you in other countries who might not know, Rustoleum is a brand of aerosol paints formulated for outdoor weathering. Kilz is another brand of aerosol paint, formulated by and for apartment maintenance and light construction - it is primarily used for covering up patches and stains in drywall and sheetrock. Less appropriate paint for priming is hard to imagine, although one of my true friends suggested interior latex wall paint might be worse. Then I completed the ruination by undoing what had been done. Imagine looking at two thousand points plus of scrambled bits in the bottom of a vat of Simple Green - and realizing you have no build instructions. So I just boxed it up and wrote it off.

Eventually (as in years later) I found a couple of players who did not laugh, but who were willing to sit down and help me. The beginning of my reboot in 40K. Thank you very much, Chris and Robert. Miss you guys.

These days, I won't play against the super-competitive tournament types. That whole scene - the smacktalk, the super-fast-play try-to-keep-up anything-I-can-get-away-with-counts playstyle - honestly, it's simply too redolent of the schoolyard bully tactics I had to endure as a child. I'd rather play at my house, or a friend's place, drink beer for an hour pregame while we do show-n-tell with our latest projects (WIP or otherwise) and then do middle-of-the-road general-purpose lists that we throw together on the spot.

So why do people play this game? And if you play competitively, why do some go to the extremes they do?

Aegwymourn
07-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Well no matter how you play the game is a social one. It requires at least two people to play and if one of them regularly does not have fun the only thing won will be less people in the hobby. I play to both have a good time, and to test my "skill". Like a game of chess. If people play in a manner you don't enjoy, don't play with them. I know that isn't a good answer, especially if you are limited with where/who you can play.

The hardest part of this game is finding people to play with. I like to think the area I play in is particularly lucky in this regard. Many of the players are seasoned veterans who are more than willing to help with any aspect of the hobby. We have a regular tournament scene filled with people generally interested in having a good time.

Now I would also like to point out that a lot of what some players might consider reasonable speed you find to fast. For example: I have only played against the new deamons codex twice. The first time it was just a regular game so we spent a lot of time going through what is what and how they get it. The second time it was during our local doubles tourney. Now not only is he a seasoned deamons player who knows exactly what he is doing, we also have a time limit in place. So he quickly rolls through his powers and I still have no idea what he rolled for whom and what it did mostly. This brings me back to my last point, it is all about who you play with. I trust the guy I was playing against that his gifts and powers were correct on the right models. We still had a very close game and I learned a lot.

As for extremes why does anyone do that? I can guarantee that in any other hobby that has a competitive element (any game where one person "wins" and another "loses" is competitive) there will be people who will do whatever it takes to win.

HsojVvad
07-27-2013, 07:06 PM
All I can say is we play with plastic toy soldiers. For people who need to win with plastic toy soldiers speak volumes of their character, and I find it kinda pathetic and feel sorry for them.

SON OF ROMULOUS
07-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Depends on the group you fall into i guess. The guys i regularly game with play competitively and for fun. so i think their is a time and a place for both. having beers at your buddies is different from playing in a tournament where you put down your own cash and are competing for bragging rights or for prizes and monetary compensation. One of our friends regularly won most logal GTS and would use our local store to test his new lists. after a while when he had trouble finding people to play he dropped out of the tourne scene and started to bring fun lists and since hasn't had any trouble getting in a game. Another guy is a regular powergame and a total cheat. should known when the emo tool wore a suit and tie to a tournament to just strangle him beforehand....

He no longer shows up as most people know he will lie cheat and basically ruin your game against his nids. so its to each his own and really up to the local community to dictate behavior and play preferance.

Learn2Eel
07-27-2013, 09:08 PM
I think everyone plays for fun. Even the most hard-out professional tournament players I've seen only play because they actually enjoy the game, or the competition it brings.

HsojVvad
07-27-2013, 09:15 PM
I think everyone plays for fun. Even the most hard-out professional tournament players I've seen only play because they actually enjoy the game, or the competition it brings.

From what I see and hear, thank god it's not alot, but there are people out there who have to win with plastic toy soldiers, and fun be damned. It's almost like high school all over again, except with the sport jocks picking and bullying people, it's the nerds/geeks who have to act like they are jocks and better than other people at rolling dice.

Sadly the OP encountered his more share of these people than he should have.

Popsical
07-28-2013, 02:12 AM
A lot of this debate comes down to what we want from our games of toy soldiers.
Some of us just want to play games.
Others want to play games that challenge us and refine our lists and competitive edge.
Battles with a theme/story are my want.
Its all about getting what you want out of gaming, but its not always easy by any means.