PDA

View Full Version : IG with Inquistiorial Allies?

wileythenord
11-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Is this still possible? BoLS had an article the other day about using assassins that got me thinking, since they mentioned using a callidus with a psyker battle squad. just wondering how this was still possible.

thanks in advance,
wiley

Lerra
11-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Yes, it's still possible by the rules. A handful of tournaments do ban allies however, so you might want to ask if you plan to bring the army to a tourney.

wileythenord
11-17-2009, 11:57 AM
which rules? does codex:WH have the rules for allies?

Jwolf
11-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Yes, look in the WH codex.

wileythenord
11-17-2009, 12:12 PM
sweet thanks!

looking to build an IG army based around this tactic, so i'm gonna read up tonight

Faultie
11-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Yes, it's still possible by the rules. A handful of tournaments do ban allies however, so you might want to ask if you plan to bring the army to a tourney.
Oddly, BoLSCon banned it. Hmmm...

Melissia
11-17-2009, 12:55 PM
If they banned it, then BoLScon can kiss my ***.

Is this still possible? BoLS had an article the other day about using assassins that got me thinking, since they mentioned using a callidus with a psyker battle squad. just wondering how this was still possible.

thanks in advance,
wiley

See the latest Imperial Guard and Witch Hunter / Daemonhunter FAQs.

A summary of what's in the FAQ is as follows:

As WH/DH, You may take:

Up to four Imperial Guard Infantry Platoons (you must have two troops choices from your native codex, meaning =][= stormies, grey knights, or battle sisters). These platoons are exactly like in C:IG, including special characters-- you can induct special characters into your C:WH/C:DH armies.

If you take at least two Imperial Guard Infantry Platoons, you man include up to three Scout or Armored Sentinel Squadrons.

If you take at least two Imperial Guard Infantry Platoons, you may include up to three Rough Rider Squadrons.

If you take at least two Imperial Guard Infantry Platoons, you may take one Leman Russ Battle Tank. As in, a single tank, not the squadron, and no variation tanks unless you use ForgeWorld (which is another topic altogether).

You must have at least one HQ and two troops from C:WH/C:DH, your parent list.

As Imperial Guard, you may take (no special characters):

0-1 HQ unit
0-1 Elites
0-2 Troops
0-1 Fast Attack

You must have at least one HQ and two troops from C:IG.

wileythenord
11-17-2009, 01:06 PM
that means the DH/WH have to be the parent army? i can't play IG and ally WH?

I want an IG army to have

1 company command squad
2 psker battle squads
2 infantry platoons

and ally

1 inquistor lord
1 callidus assassin

and by the FAQs I guess i can't do this?

Melissia
11-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Yes, you can.

1 Company Command Squad: Your mandatory 1-2 HQ choice.
1 Inquisitor Lord: Your allied in 0-1 HQ choice.
2 Psyker Battle Squads: two of your 0-3 Elites choices.
1 Callidius Assassin: Your 0-1 Assassin choice (requires an Inquisitor/Lord, and you have them)
2 Infantry Platoons: Your mandatory 2-6

It's perfectly legal.

mkerr
11-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Oddly, BoLSCon banned it. Hmmm...

Yep, we banned it for the first BOLSCON because of the new Imperial Guard codex was releasing at the same time (we just didn't have the time to review and FAQ the IG+WH/DH power combos before the event).

I can't speak for Jwolf (well, I can -- he just doesn't like it), but I'm certain that IG + Inquisition will be allowed at the next BOLSCON.

mkerr

mkerr
11-17-2009, 01:45 PM
that means the DH/WH have to be the parent army? i can't play IG and ally WH?

As Melissia says, that's perfectly legal (and tons of fun). I use IG+WH armies a lot so that I can use Lord Castellan Creed or a Psyker Battle Squad with allied Witch Hunter and Daemonhunters.

wileythenord
11-17-2009, 01:45 PM
thanks Melissa, i guess i was mis-reading your post!

I'm thinking about BoLScon next year, its a long way from Chattanooga, TN but it sounds like good times!

Lord Azaghul
11-17-2009, 02:38 PM

I'm thinking about BoLScon next year, its a long way from Chattanooga, TN but it sounds like good times!

My personal opinion is that allying, although fun, results in an army that is stronger then the WH, yet weaker then the guard.
But hey if you want a fluffy fun army go for it.

Melissia
11-17-2009, 05:43 PM
THAT all depends on how well it is built and played. Sisters, certainly, can fill roles that no Guard unit can for a good price.

DarkLink
11-17-2009, 08:00 PM
I know that taking a squad or two of allied Sisters of Battle in my Grey Knight army makes them significantly more competitive. Rush them forward and let them burninate and melta stuff, and the Grey Knights can mop up the mess. The Sisters don't usually survive this :rolleyes:, but they do their job brilliantly.

Anyway, brief overview of the ally system:

If you are taking allies from Daemonhunters or Witchhunters, you are allowed 0-1 HQ, 0-1 Elite, 0-2 Troops and 0-1 Fast Attack. Pretty much any imperial army can do this. You can also take allies from both Daemonhunters and Witchhunters. So your Space Marine army could have a unit of allied Sisters of Battle, and a unit of allied Grey Knight Terminators.

Allying in to Daemon/Witch hunters from IG and SM codices is kinda weird, and has a specific list of units allowed.

Faultie
11-17-2009, 08:08 PM

As an aside, yes it was a blast.

wileythenord
11-18-2009, 09:34 AM
thanks for all the help guys, i bought the WH codex yesterday and after reading the way the allies section is worded, i don't really understand how my gaming group didn't get that...its as clear as can be about what you can ally!

My list is a go! now i just have to buy 10 chimeras...

bonedale
11-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Just make sure your Inquisitor Lord is an HQ, so the assassin can be your Elite choice. OR Elite Inquisitor from DH codex, and Elite assassin from WH codex.

volrath8754
11-25-2009, 01:53 AM
Good god man hasn't that been FAQ'd???

Melissia
11-25-2009, 07:23 AM
Hasn't WHAT been FAQed?

You need an Inquisitor Lord simply because you can only ally in one Elites choice, not because an elites inquisitor doesn't unlock assassins.

As for Allying, that HAS been FAQed.

crazyredpraetorian
11-25-2009, 10:52 AM

BoLScon 2009 was indeed a good time. 2010 will be even better. Come on down and roll some dice.

Culven
11-25-2009, 11:37 AM
OR Elite Inquisitor from DH codex, and Elite assassin from WH codex.

Good god man hasn't that been FAQ'd???
Yes, it has. The Assassin and Inquisitor must be from the same codex.

You need an Inquisitor Lord simply because you can only ally in one Elites choice, not because an elites inquisitor doesn't unlock assassins.
If one includes DH and WH allies, they could have one Elite from each. The same would apply to HQs if the player had three HQ slots available on their FOC.

Melissia
11-25-2009, 12:01 PM
From the FAQ.

Q. Can an Officio Assassinorum Operative or Daemonhunter Deathcult Assassin be taken as an ally in an army that only has a Witch Hunter Inquisitor (or vice versa)?

A. Witch Hunters and Daemonhunters are discrete types of Inquisitor. The Officio Assassinorum Operative or Deathcult Assassin may only be taken in an army that has an Inquisitor from the same Codex.

In other words? No, you cannot take an assassin from one ally's elite slot after unlocking it from another ally's elite slot. You MUST purchase an HQ slot inquisitor if you want to ally in an assassin, and it MUST be from the same codex as the assassin entry you're using.