PDA

View Full Version : Do Space Wolves have access to the Contemptor Dreadnought that can have Skyfire?

Eldar_Atog
07-26-2013, 02:56 PM
A friend of mine is considering buying a Contemptor Dreadnought at Games day tomorrow but we are not sure if Space Wolves can take one. Do they have rules setup for Space Wolves to take one? If so, which ForgeWorld book is it listed in?

He is wanting something with Skyfire besides the Aegis defense line. He has ended up in multiple games where people completely block line of site around his defense line.

Thanks,

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
07-26-2013, 04:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that Space Wolves only get to use their special Space Wolf Contemptor rules, which has a bunch of Wolf-specific stuff, like Sagas. Been a while since I checked, though.

Eldar_Atog
07-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Thanks!

khambatta
07-26-2013, 06:56 PM
The Wolves variant must have at least one DCCW, but the new rules will be in this book, so things may change:

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?34565-New-Imperial-Armour-Apoc&p=332379#post332379

LordGrise
07-26-2013, 11:53 PM
A friend of mine is considering buying a Contemptor Dreadnought at Games day tomorrow but we are not sure if Space Wolves can take one. Do they have rules setup for Space Wolves to take one? If so, which ForgeWorld book is it listed in?

He is wanting something with Skyfire besides the Aegis defense line. He has ended up in multiple games where people completely block line of site around his defense line.

Wow. The folks I play with, we place the terrain BEFORE we place models, and even then, only on the table half we each control. Pieces straddling the middle, we check with our opponents first, and it's usually an objective.

I simply wouldn't play with those people again. No sportsmanship. Hardcore tournament types, I take it? No offense to those here who are, but that's the only time I've seen that kind of behavior.

Tyrendian
07-27-2013, 02:10 AM
if I were your friend, I would consider buying multiple arms, i.e. one (or even two) melee arms and added ranged weapons to taste - those are dead easy to magnetize, and when you want a Mortis (which I do) you can always use him as part of an allied Marine force...

Pssyche
07-27-2013, 05:34 AM
Wow. The folks I play with, we place the terrain BEFORE we place models, and even then, only on the table half we each control. Pieces straddling the middle, we check with our opponents first, and it's usually an objective.

I simply wouldn't play with those people again. No sportsmanship. Hardcore tournament types, I take it? No offense to those here who are, but that's the only time I've seen that kind of behavior.

Whoa, hang on a minute.
Did you just say you wouldn't play against people who play the game's rules correctly?

Big Rulebook.
Page 424.
"The Game Summary"

Bullet Point 3.
"If either force contains fortifications, they need to be placed at this point."

Bullet Point 4.
"Next, terrain should be placed on the battlefield."

They are bad sports for playing the game correctly?
I think not.

Asuryan
07-27-2013, 05:50 AM
Whoa, hang on a minute.
Did you just say you wouldn't play against people who play the game's rules correctly?

Big Rulebook.
Page 424.
"The Game Summary"

Bullet Point 3.
"If either force contains fortifications, they need to be placed at this point."

Bullet Point 4.
"Next, terrain should be placed on the battlefield."

They are bad sports for playing the game correctly?
I think not.

no they are bad sports for putting LoS blocking terrain in front of his ageis. Here you have a quad gun to take out flyers but wait this giant Mountain just sprouted up in front of the quad gun. 3 guesses where the flyers will come on the board and the first two don't count.

Pssyche
07-27-2013, 10:03 AM
no they are bad sports for putting LoS blocking terrain in front of his ageis. Here you have a quad gun to take out flyers but wait this giant Mountain just sprouted up in front of the quad gun. 3 guesses where the flyers will come on the board and the first two don't count.

At the risk of sidetracking the thread, that's hilarious!

First off, the Aegis Player doesn't have to deploy the Battle Line in a straight line.
The Aegis defence line sections must be deployed in an unbroken chain, though they can be connected end-to-end. (FAQ 1.4, p.9)
With better deployment of the Line there is little chance of terrain being placed blocking line of sight.
Secondly, the Aegis player has a one in two chance of being the first to place terrain.
If it was me and I had first turn?
Three pieces of Scatter Terrain placed in the Aegis' fire arc, at that point nothing is blocking anybody's Line of Sight.
If I'm deploying second, I'd be hoping my opponent didn't get there first.

How hard is that?

Opponents are not bad sports in the slightest for knowing how to negate the benefits of an Aegis Line.
But an Aegis player who doesn't understand how to properly deploy it to his best advantage, then cries about it when it goes wrong for him?
That's another matter, altogether...

Eldar_Atog
07-28-2013, 11:11 AM
At the risk of sidetracking the thread, that's hilarious!

First off, the Aegis Player doesn't have to deploy the Battle Line in a straight line.
The Aegis defence line sections must be deployed in an unbroken chain, though they can be connected end-to-end. (FAQ 1.4, p.9)
With better deployment of the Line there is little chance of terrain being placed blocking line of sight.
Secondly, the Aegis player has a one in two chance of being the first to place terrain.
If it was me and I had first turn?
Three pieces of Scatter Terrain placed in the Aegis' fire arc, at that point nothing is blocking anybody's Line of Sight.
If I'm deploying second, I'd be hoping my opponent didn't get there first.

How hard is that?

Opponents are not bad sports in the slightest for knowing how to negate the benefits of an Aegis Line.
But an Aegis player who doesn't understand how to properly deploy it to his best advantage, then cries about it when it goes wrong for him?
That's another matter, altogether...

2 things:

1) You assume the aegis player deployed the aegis in a circle or in straight line. It was in a diagonal line with a divot in it. I wouldn't think the shape is going to help you much since you still have to place the gun somewhere in the line before terrain is placed.

2) Second, if you get to place the first piece of terrain, you would only get to place a single piece. You would place your single piece of scatter terrain and then your opponent places a tall piece of terrain that blocks line of site from the front. You try to place a piece of terrain to protect line of sight from the left or right. Your opponent places terrain that blocks whichever side you didn't protect.

At this point, your firing area has gone from 180 degrees to about 60. Your opponent has a nice window to place their 3 heldrakes and allied Necron detachment that is flyer heavy. You will place your primary detachment of Space Wolves (no skyfire anywhere), perhaps a allied detachment with one thing with skyfire, and an aegis defense line that has a small line of sight window.

Gir
07-28-2013, 04:37 PM
2 things:

1) You assume the aegis player deployed the aegis in a circle or in straight line. It was in a diagonal line with a divot in it. I wouldn't think the shape is going to help you much since you still have to place the gun somewhere in the line before terrain is placed.

2) Second, if you get to place the first piece of terrain, you would only get to place a single piece. You would place your single piece of scatter terrain and then your opponent places a tall piece of terrain that blocks line of site from the front. You try to place a piece of terrain to protect line of sight from the left or right. Your opponent places terrain that blocks whichever side you didn't protect.

At this point, your firing area has gone from 180 degrees to about 60. Your opponent has a nice window to place their 3 heldrakes and allied Necron detachment that is flyer heavy. You will place your primary detachment of Space Wolves (no skyfire anywhere), perhaps a allied detachment with one thing with skyfire, and an aegis defense line that has a small line of sight window.

Place a piece that is large enough to count as 2-3 pieces then?

While the opponent is putting terrain in the half with the defensive line, it gives the other player a great opportunity to fill his deployment zone with dangerous terrain or scattered debris, meaning he has next-to-no cover.