PDA

View Full Version : DA Wargear Weapons

Rich18144
07-25-2013, 01:42 AM
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked/dealt with before, but I'd like some advice on the wording of the Weapons options in the Wargear section seem a little odd to me on first reading:

MELEE WEAPONS: A Model can replace ONE weapon with ONE of the following.

Now as I read this, it is impossible to give anyone selecting from this list more than a single Melee weapon. I checked the FAQ for clarity, which didn't help. This would mean (for example) it is impossible to have a twin-lightning claw company master?

Am I reading this right?
Or have I misunderstood it?

Rich

Magpie
07-25-2013, 02:15 AM
My thought is that the Melee weapons section is simply saying that you are replacing your weapons one for one.

Meaning If you have two weapons you can do two for two.

Wolfshade
07-25-2013, 02:40 AM
I cannot recall the original load out for the master, but I am guessing it something along the lines of a bolt pistol, chainsword or bolter.

So you can swap the chainsword for a lightning claw, and then swap the bolt pistol for another lightning claw.

It is to stop people from trying to swap say a chainsword for two lightning claws and still retaining the bolt pistol.

Nabterayl
07-25-2013, 08:40 AM
I believe the consensus view is Magpie's. I agree with that view, although I do understand your confusion.

Ben_S
07-25-2013, 09:43 AM
I read it as you do. If it simply said 'you may take one of the following:' then it would be clear enough that you can only do this once. I believe that what it says amounts to 'you may take one of the following, in place of one existing weapon'. (I grant, though, that trying to say something like what Magpie thinks it means would be rather cumbersome.)

I don't know if this has come up in my group, but I remember a discussion of the DE Talos (which has a similar replacement option plus the option to purchase an additional CCW) and the consensus seemed to be that you can't have chain-flails AND twin-link liquifier, even if you pay for the extra CCW to replace.

Magpie
07-25-2013, 04:58 PM
I think the confusion would come about if this "The Master can replace ONE weapon with ONE of the following" was written in his particular Army List entry.
That might point you towards him being only able to replace a single weapon from the tables listed.
As it says in his army listing that he can take as much as he wants from the various wargear lists it makes the one for one for as many weapons as you want to change meaning pretty clear IMO