PDA

View Full Version : Space marine planet defense force.

Thomas Miles Corbett
07-24-2013, 08:26 AM
Hello guys

When I played Space marines more often that I do now as Ultramarines (I know sorry ;) ) I liked to make my army different and more in keeping with a ultramarine army as of the battle of Macragge with the planets own defense force to be the main army supported by a core of Space marines.

To do this I just merged the Imperial guard and Space marine codex but didn't take any imperial guard tanks (Just APC's) and limited the amount of space marines in my army. This balance of hard hitting space marines with the strength to counter attack while the Guardmen were the front line troops who with the mass firepower of lasguns and bolters (taken from the story lines) would together win many battles.

Has anyone else done this, how did it go? It was designed to a very different SM army to the usual with a huge basing on the storylines of the battle rather than designing an army to be the best at winning. It was more fun than anything else and playing in at my local GW store (Shrewsbury) againist the Tyranids was really impressive.

Thomas

Wolfshade
07-24-2013, 09:06 AM
You need to see StraightSilver's pdf http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?6732-Macragge-PDF

Once my BA chapter is completed I will be adding a Baal PDF to it. The plan is similiar to yours to use the SMs as the hammer and the PDF as the anvil. For me though it would be more mechanised and lots of tanks as I think that that range of fire power would complement the BA's assaulting prowess and wuold allow for a highly mobile force.

Mr.Pickelz
07-24-2013, 09:14 AM
PDF forces have what ever mechanized armor would be appropriate to their local. I would think that the Ultramar PDF forces would even have space marine vehicles (rhinos, predators, etc...) , and/ or vice versa. With the allies matrix, Ultra's and IG would make a very cool looking army. that would work pretty well, at least imo. I have no clue how SM and IG would work rules wise. the Long range firepower of Leman Russ Squads or mass Autocannons, mixed with the short range dominance of Space Marine Sternguard/Tactical squads in Drop Pods, sounds great, but no clue how it would work out on table top.

Thomas Miles Corbett
07-24-2013, 09:57 AM
I've never tended to be a big fan of SM armour in 40k, too many points for something which tends to get destoried quickly (used to play againist a lot of tank heavy armies) and doesn't put out the firepower of infantry (tactical or dev squads) againist infantry. IG armour I just never collected due to the same reasons as SM tanks. apart from APC's tho' worth their weight in close support.

PDF do work very well as a combined force and i've always been suprised on how few i've seen under one army, not just the allies system.

ChacoStylez
07-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Don't know if you've looked into it, but have you checked out the Tyrants Legion rules in the Badab War I.A. books? That force has a lot of what you are looking for.

Thomas Miles Corbett
07-28-2013, 02:59 AM
I'll have a look, thanks :)