PDA

View Full Version : Tank Shocking with Star Engines?

Bigred
11-16-2009, 09:13 PM
In the firing phase,

Legal or not...?

Nabterayl
11-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Not. Tank shocking is not shorthand for "a tank coming into contact with an enemy unit." It is a specific maneuver that has to be declared. I've left my rule book at the office, but doesn't the tank shock rule specify the Movement phase?

DarkLink
11-16-2009, 10:00 PM
BRB pg 68: "...When moving a tank, the player can declare that the vehicle is going to attempt to make a tanks shock attack instead of moving normally...If the tank moved slowly enough during the tank shock attack, it may fire as normal in the shooting phase."

It isn't explicitly stated to be in the movement phase, but it is implied.

ShadowDeth
11-17-2009, 02:43 AM
"If the tank moved slowly enough during the tank shock attack, it may fire as normal in the shooting phase."

I think it's stronger than being implied, the bold part stating that tank shock happens in the movement phase.

Foreigner
11-17-2009, 07:57 PM
However, Star Engines allow a vehicle with the upgrade to move 12 inches instead of shooting.

Most people play this as an additional 12 inch move in the shooting phase rather than allowing a 36 inch move.

Assuming the moves are independent, there are no rules governing movement outside of the movement phase so in order to allow any moves whatsoever (as the codex does) the simplest method is to treat the action as if it were occuring in the movement phase.

If we do so, it allows the vehicle to tank shock or do anything else allowed in the movement phase.

Lerra
11-18-2009, 02:06 AM
I would say that it's legal. You use the Star Engines to move the tank, which seems to mesh appropriately with the wording of tank shock ("when moving a tank . . .").

I have also seen people use the Star Engine move during the movement phase, and that seems like valid way to interpret the rules considering that RAW is rather ambiguous. In that case, tank shock could occur as normal during the movement phase.

BuFFo
11-18-2009, 04:59 AM
In the firing phase,

Legal or not...?

No, not at all.

Not even close.

I am amazed this is even debated to this day.

SeattleDV8
11-19-2009, 02:50 AM
Lerra : if you look at the Eldar FAQ it is clear the star engine movement is in the shooting phase.

Second, the Tank shock rule states BRB pg.68 ".... make a Tank Shock attack instead of moving normally."
{italics mine}
Star Engines are a special movement, not normal.
No extra ram ,with the other problems it brings, like the ramming rule which counts each 3" moved that turn
or the fact that a Tank shocking/ramming vehicle is not allowed to turn mid Tank shock/ram.
Does the Eldar skimmer have to keep going in the same direction it was moving in the movement phase?
No, , better to disallow tank shock out of the movement phase.