PDA

View Full Version : Can a power armor horde work? 98 Space wolves at 2500 pts

Whoop!
07-18-2013, 01:28 PM
I have a power armor horde I like to run I was wondering if anybody has any input. I like going with max troops to cover objectives, and 98 power armored models are difficult to deal with. Here's my list.

HQ
Wolf Priest, Runic Armor, melta bombs, wolf tooth necklace. (Goes with Blood Claws)
Wolf Priest, Runic Armor, wolf tooth necklace, saga of the hunter. (Outflanks with Blood Claws)
Rune Priest (goes with Long Fangs) Prescience and other divination
Rune Priest (goes with Long Fangs) Prescience and other divination

Elite
Wolf Scouts x5, Plasma gun, 2x plasma pistol, bolters (outflank Behind enemy lines)
Lone Wolf, termi, powerfist, wolf claw

Troops
Blood Claws x15, flamer x2
Blood Claws x 15, flamer x2
Grey Hunters x10, MOTW, Plasma gun x2,Powerfist Rhino
Grey Hunters x10, MOTW, Plasma gun x2,Powerfist Rhino
Grey Hunters x10, MOTW, Melta x2, powerfist, drop pod
Grey Hunters x10, MOTW, Melta x2, powerfist, drop pod

Fast Attack
None

Heavy Support
Long Fangsx6, 3x missile luanchers, 2x lazcannons
Long Fangsx6, 3x missile luanchers, 2x lazcannons
Long Fangsx6, Heavy Bolters

So, what do you think?

Cactus
07-18-2013, 01:49 PM
I like the cut of your jib!

I haven't done the points, but you could cut the lone wolf and convert 1 las to a missile launcher in each of the long fang units to add a pack of fen. wolves. That will give you a fast choice and let screen your troops a bit so the blood claws can run behind them to reach CC quicker.

Your Rune priests could also take a chooser of the slain, to help keep infiltrators away.

Asuryan
07-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Your Rune priests could also take a chooser of the slain, to help keep infiltrators away.

Why would anyone who played this list want infiltrators away? You want to start you models closer to mine? ok by me.

I play SW because I love the Special Characters, so I would try and fit Lukas and Ragnar into the list somewhere but i know Lukas is a huge waste of points unless he dies and takes out something equal or greater than his points and Ragnar's 3+ over a runic 2+ is sad but this furious howl and Saga make up for it. But to each his own.

chicop76
07-18-2013, 02:46 PM
You calling that a marine horde army. I seen 80 marines in 1850 list. At 2500 98 marines is around a typical army size for marines.

For the points a horder marine army should be around 140-150 marines.

Whoop!
07-18-2013, 04:11 PM
I dont know about 98 marines being standard in a typical 2500 pt army, but I could fit 54 more models in to max out my force org if I could find 972 points to put into it (30 Wolf Guard, and 30 Sky claws, get rid of scouts and lone wolf)
I would have to pull all of the upgrades that my units function to get up to that level.

On the other hand if I went with 6 units of blood claws and 3 units of sky claws and 3 units of wolf scouts with a decent kitted wolf lord I would be 2500 with 151 models. But they would all be unskilled and without vehicles. But then again there would be 150 of them!
I still think 98 is a horde, but only because I have never seen anyone put more than half that number of marines in an army.
Maybe the meta you play with is different than mine.

chicop76
07-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Typically horde marines take cheap or 1 HQ and max out cheap units with cheap upgrades. Typically going footslooging instead of taking vehicles. The thought of 6 rhinos or drop pods means atleast 10 more marines.

Ugrades I seen usually lots of powerfist and missiles, but I see people us melta bombs more and power axes.

They tend to do ok. The huge marine body count mkes them tougher to deal with and you are dealing with a lot more bolter shots, typically a lot of heavy bolters as well.

The downside it doesn't work well against like say Tau who can dish out a lot of ap 3 and ignore cover saves, but against light armour armies and armies that deal with weight of fire over ap 3 usually struggle against horde marines.

Magpie
07-18-2013, 08:12 PM
It would be very interesting to see how an army like this would play out.

I can do:

Coteaz
6x 12 Acolytes + Bolter and PA
3 x 10 Interceptors
3 x 10 Purgation

Gives 133 power armoured dudes for 2560

Cactus
07-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Why would anyone who played this list want infiltrators away? You want to start you models closer to mine? ok by me.

I keep the chooser in the backfield, away from my Long Fangs. I know they're still space wolves, but I rather have the pew-pew-pewing things to death than stabbing things to death.

Whoop!
07-24-2013, 05:40 AM
Just play tested against imperial guard with 7 flyers, worked like a dream. Who the hell brings 7 flyers anyways? I just wiped his ground troops and took my beating from the air, when turn 6 ended I had 12 points and he had 6 flyers flying around and no points. Needless to say I think having so many infantry on the table helped me survive this air attack.

The only problem I had was I forgot about my lone wolf and left him off the table, Doh!

Allen Broussard
07-24-2013, 07:17 AM
list i wanna try: 1850 all PA

captain on bike, claw/PF
Chainplain on bike, pf
command squad on bikes, 2xpf,2xclaws, 4xstorm shield

2 tac squads, lazcannon, plasma

1 sternguard squad no upgrades
1 sternguard with 3x combi meltas, 3x combi flamers
1 sternguard with 4x combi plasma, 3x combi flamers

Low mobility, but very good firepower and 57 power armored bodies.