PDA

View Full Version : Mind War and look out sir

Brandoncbaker
07-18-2013, 08:03 AM
I played at a Tourney this past Sunday where the organizer ruled that Mind War wounds are able to use Look Out Sir rules. It wasn't my game,but the ruling didn't sit well with me. Is there any rule that is written on this? We all no sometimes rules as written conflict with what makes sense. Thanks

Tynskel
07-18-2013, 08:11 AM
It's unfortunate, but unless the rule states Look OUT sir, arrgh is negated by the power, one may attempt the look out sir.

Chalk it up to the Farseer mistaking someone else for the target.

Defenestratus
07-18-2013, 08:34 AM
It's unfortunate, but unless the rule states Look OUT sir, arrgh is negated by the power, one may attempt the look out sir.

Chalk it up to the Farseer mistaking someone else for the target.

Chalk it up to Mind war being a crappy power. Lets count all the ways shall we?

1) it has to pass a psychic test to work
2) Its a focused witchfire power so it only targets the model you want on a 5 or less AND you still have to roll to hit!!!
3) You have a dice-off where, you have a good chance of nerfing yourself for a round.
4) If the target is a character, gets a 2+ LOS "save"
5) If for some reason he fails the LOS "save" then he can take invulnerable saves.

Its ridiculous (Although It did kill a daemon prince in the last game i used it in, and an obliterator)

Nabterayl
07-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Yeah, I agree that Look Out, Sir! clearly works on Mind War.

The last FAQ on the subject (obsoleted now due to a new codex) said that Mind War is basically a stare-off, and the reason cover saves worked was that a sufficiently quick-witted victim could simply dive out of line of sight to break the connection. Apparently Look Out, Sir! works the same way - an underling throws (or is thrown) in front of the victim, so the farseer locks eyes with the underling instead.

Asuryan
07-18-2013, 08:48 AM
I know there is no rule for stating the way I do it is right, but I play it that if you pass and hit the target you were aiming for and they are a character they get a LOS before the roll-off because of the difference in Leaderships between characters and such.

Aslo Def. you forgot the opponent gets deny the witch as well.

Mind War seems to be useful against MC and not units.

Tynskel
07-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Yeah, I agree–Mind War is for 1-shottin' Monsterous Creatures and non-IC characters.

DarkLink
07-18-2013, 11:46 AM

It's like the Tzeentch psychic powers. Roll the psychic test, roll deny the witch, roll for your number of shots, roll to hit, roll for your random strength, roll to wound, then roll saves. GW needs to streamline some of their game mechanics a little.

z3r05k1ll
07-18-2013, 03:23 PM

1) it has to pass a psychic test to work
2) Its a focused witchfire power so it only targets the model you want on a 5 or less AND you still have to roll to hit!!!
3) You have a dice-off where, you have a good chance of nerfing yourself for a round.
4) If the target is a character, gets a 2+ LOS "save"
5) If for some reason he fails the LOS "save" then he can take invulnerable saves.

Its ridiculous (Although It did kill a daemon prince in the last game i used it in, and an obliterator)

6) Psychic Shriek is a primaris power and costs one less warp charge for essentially the same effect with no chance to nerf yourself AND the wounds are applied to a unit instead of a model.

Aramel
07-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Mind War is double the range and ignores cover. It's not fantastic, but as others have mentioned, it is good at killing MCs/multi-wound models, especially if you have warlocks to reduce their LD.

z3r05k1ll
07-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Mind War is double the range and ignores cover. It's not fantastic, but as others have mentioned, it is good at killing MCs/multi-wound models, especially if you have warlocks to reduce their LD.

shriek also ignores cover. the range thing is nice, but at 2 warp charge it's never worth it.

Tynskel
07-18-2013, 05:55 PM
I disagree. Killing something instantly is always awesome.

chicop76
07-18-2013, 07:05 PM
I disagree. Killing something instantly is always awesome.

How often does that happen.

Tynskel
07-19-2013, 11:01 AM
whenever you get a success. And when you most need it.

Dave Mcturk
07-19-2013, 11:15 AM
i manage lots of spectacular instant deaths... usually with a shokk attack gun ... oops.. morks eyes again...

DarkLink
07-19-2013, 12:31 PM
whenever you get a success. And when you most need it.

It works 100% of the time, 40% of the time.

Tynskel
07-21-2013, 09:19 AM
It works 100% of the time, 40% of the time.

:)

Dalleron
07-22-2013, 01:48 AM
I always thought mindwar was better suited to taking out special weapon guys and sgts. the new codex. Now, it is less useful on characters, and even more useful with look out sir. Like 2/3 of the runes fate, cost too much to cast. All as Def has pointed out.