PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 40,000: The Rules (eBook edition)

tleilax
07-15-2013, 04:27 AM
I do not spot anywhere this news but the rulebook is arriving for Android, Kindle, iBooks and eReader devices.
What about having the updated rules on your smartphone? As indicated on Black Library web site this edition contains the rules sections from the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook, up to date with all current erratas and FAQ’s. (last updated - July 2013)
It will be 25.99euros/32.99$ against 60.00euros/74.25$ for the paper version. The deal seems good.
I think I'll go for it.

From Black Library:

There is no time for peace. No respite. No forgiveness. There is only WAR.
In the nightmare future of the 41st Millennium, Mankind teeters upon the brink of destruction. The galaxy-spanning Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by ravening aliens and threatened from within by Warp-spawned entities and heretical plots. Only the strength of the immortal Emperor stands between Humanity and its annihilation. In his name, countless warriors and agents do battle against the encroaching darkness. Foremost amongst them stand the Space Marines, the ultimate protectors of Mankind.

Across airless moons, within the depths of dark, twisted hive worlds and even in the immaterial realm of Warp space, battles rage that will shape the future of the galaxy forever. It is a universe that you can enter today, if you dare. But remember that this is a dark and terrible era, and there is no peace amongst the stars...

The Rules:
Warhammer 40,000: The Rules is your essential guide to recreating the brutal battles of the 41st Millennium with your collection of Citadel miniatures.

About this Edition:
This eBook Edition allows you to access the Warhammer 40,000 rules on almost any mobile device you own. The format is compatible with most current generation Android, Kindle, iBooks and eReader devices meaning you can even use it on your phone.
This edition contains the rules sections from the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook, up to date with all current erratas and FAQ’s.
(last updated - July 2013)

On sale July 20th

AN INTERACTIVE IPAD EDITION OF THIS BOOK IS AVAILABLE FROM THE IBOOKSTORE FOR IPAD AND IPAD MINI
August 2013 •

eBook rulebook.
Compatible with Android Kindle and iBooks devices

• ISBN 9781782532248

$ 32.99

Cap'nSmurfs
07-15-2013, 04:29 AM
I believe it's an ebook equivalent of the little mini-rules book you get in Dark Venge-a-nance, which explains the price. Seems like an excellent deal to me.

It's out on July 20.

Blusox69
07-15-2013, 05:30 AM
I was just about to start a thread on this. GW haven't made much of an announcement but I think it's going to fly off the shelves. Quite often with the main rule book I find myself having to go back and forth often via the index to find the reference I'm after, now with a digital edition it will be much easier. I'm buying it on release day even though I own the hard back and mini rule books. Looking forward to having all my books in one place. Just need Forgeworld to follow suit now so I'm not carrying around a giant heavy hard back for less than 10 pages of rules! lol

pgarfunkle
07-15-2013, 06:50 AM
I have just emailed them about future FAQ updates and whether anyone who buys the non ios version will get these automatically or whether we will have to download the FAQs separately. There is also a restriction on downloading an ebook more than 5 times so I have also asked how that will apply if the ebook is going to be updated with new FAQs.

(This is all on the assumption that the ios version codex's are updated with FAQs, I'm sure I've seen somewhere that this is the case, can anyone confirm?)

Blusox69
07-15-2013, 08:10 AM
You're right, the iOS versions prompt you to update when the publisher releases and updated version

pgarfunkle
07-15-2013, 08:17 AM
That's what I thought and I know books sold through Amazon for the kindle do the same thing.

I'm hoping that the ebooks will be updated with changes and we will be able to download them again so that we don't need to worry about flipping between the ebook and FAQs, some parts of which will be relevant and others not as anything published up to July will be included in the ebook.

Blusox69
07-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Overall I think GW should be congratulated on the way they have embraced digital media. They may have been a little late to the party but with the inclusion of other devices as well as iDevices it looks like they may finally be comfortable with the whole online media business and looking to expand further. I'm quite interested in what apps they may bring out. I play Tau so don't have much use for the Psyker app, but it looks good all the same. Perhaps their own army builder software, although they will have to go some to beet the ones already out.

UECreed007
07-15-2013, 07:34 PM
There is a special mention needed: The IPad version is advertised as $39.99 on ITunes while Black Library's Kindle version is $32.99. The reasoning is because the IPad version has quick links for rules as well as interactive pictures of the miniatures. I don't think the Kindle version has this feature.

pgarfunkle
07-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Well I haven't got a response to my email yet but according to the BL blog the ebooks will be updated when each new FAQ is released and we will be able to log in and download a new version which sounds like the usual restriction on downloads won't be applied. Will wait for an email to confirm it before I buy however

Edit: I have received the response from GW Direct and the download restriction has been removed for all GW Direct products and also apparently on most new Black Library products.

Looks like I will be getting a digital copy of the rulebook :)