PDA

View Full Version : Kroot Jungle Runner Battlewheels

Faultie
11-14-2009, 02:00 AM
So, I'm making a Kroot Mercenaries force, the Ironbeak Kindreds.
Ironbeak comes from the fact that I want the force to have a more technological feel than your standard Kroot riding on jungle-beasts.

Long-story-short, attached are pictures of the current WIP shots of my Battlewheels, created using various bits and the Skaven Doomwheel (which I think is a great model). I think the wheel works because it's high speed, it's neat looking, and it's similar to the only other vehicles that we know the Kroot have (Warspheres). It is still very WIP, but I like what I've got so far.

Comments are appreciated!

Just_Me
11-14-2009, 02:31 AM
I for one love it! It has that odd blend of tribal and high-tech that is characteristic of the kroot.

One question, what rules are you using for it? are you going to make up your own, or are you using "counts as" rules for something?

fuzzbuket
11-14-2009, 03:25 AM
BRILLIANT!
that really captures the essence of the kroot

Fuzzbuket

rbryce
11-14-2009, 05:19 AM
lol, hairless wookies, love the idea by the way. better than "This is gonna be for my ork monster truck" which would be bigger than a stompa if anyone thought about it. back on topic, that is a really good idea, and looks mean to boot. i would not want to be assaulted by one of those.

Asymmetrical Xeno
11-14-2009, 06:19 AM
genius idea! the doomwheel really does suit the Kroot doesnt it :)

Faultie
11-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the comments, guys!

Any suggestions on additional bits/gadgets that might look good on it?

One question, what rules are you using for it? are you going to make up your own, or are you using "counts as" rules for something?
I really hadn't gotten that far yet. Quite simply, the first time I saw the new Skaven Doomwheel pictures I thought "I've got to make some for my Kroot!"

Of the top of my head, I think a Space Marine assault bike (or maybe a Ork nob on bike) or something similar is the best for "counts-as". Or perhaps a Tau Piranha stand-in in a Tau Empire army. Basically, anything that's REALLY fast, and also has some guns.

Morgrim
11-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Great knarlocks, maybe? I can't remember how fast they are, though. But they're good at charging into an enemy battle line and eating and stomping them, and can have rather good gun mounts.

mstingray
11-16-2009, 03:17 AM
Its a great idea, you might want to cover up the skaven symbols on it, look forward to see it painted.

Rules-wise I think knarloc riders would be a good idea

Faultie
11-18-2009, 06:42 AM
I got a quick paintjob done up last night on my first Kroot Battlewheel. See first post for updated pictures.

theHman
11-19-2009, 03:20 PM
NICE!

Please tell me that you've only got one and not a half dozen!
That is wicked cool.
You should use the rules for bikes.
Would love to play against that on the table.
Can't wait to see more.

Fantomex
11-20-2009, 06:16 AM
I love it!
At the moment, I'm converting a Doomwheel for use as my Iron Hands Techmarine on bike with full Servo-Harness, swapping out the wood tracks for Chimera tracks..
Such an awesome model, I'm glad to see more people going for conversion!
More bigger pix!

Cryl
11-20-2009, 07:13 AM
Love that use of the doomwheel, really nice. I'm always amazed at how quickly after a release people manage to turn models into something else completely.

Look forward to seeing the Iron Hands conversion in the future too

Kieranator K82
11-21-2009, 12:30 AM
Here's a similar idea: Necron Destroyer Lord, using Skaven Doomwheel and made to look like General Grievous. Sounds fun. You should do that too.

Zeev
11-21-2009, 10:46 AM
i did much the same thing...though mine does not look as good and i put railguns on it...so i could count it as a broadside.

archimbald
11-21-2009, 10:59 AM
genius idea! the doomwheel really does suit the Kroot doesnt it :)

ditto

Faultie
07-11-2010, 08:29 PM
THREAD NECRO!

Seriously, with BoLSCon/WARGamesCon fast approaching, I've finally gotten off my arse and started up my 2nd and 3rd Battlewheels. As per usual, I find that subsequent conversion go faster, once I've figured out what I want to do and how to do it. Also as per usual, sorry for the crappy pictures of my 2nd Battlewheel (Counts-as Biker Nob w/ Big Choppa and Combi-Flamer).

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/darcoarco/WM/battlewheel1.jpg

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/darcoarco/WM/battlewheel2.jpg

TSINI
07-12-2010, 04:25 AM
Cool stuff, can i ask where you got the base in the first pic from? it looks awesome.

Faultie
07-12-2010, 04:44 AM
Cool stuff, can i ask where you got the base in the first pic from? it looks awesome.
That base is from Dragon Forge Design (http://dragonforge.com/). They are really fantastic all around.

Master Bryss
07-12-2010, 08:45 AM
I saw this thread after I finished my own Doomwheel conversion; a Big Mek with Burna on Warbike. I wasn't sure about the rear wheel, but seeing how good your one looks I think I'll lop my one off now! It looks great, and it's good to see someone else use the Wheel for a 40k purpose.