PDA

View Full Version : Can we have more Hobby articles on BOLS? Please

Havik110
07-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Hi all, this is just me putting up a thread that hopefully gets some traction. BOLS was a fantastic place for 40k back 5 years ago. Today it is a place of boring lists and bad rumors.

Dont get me wrong I come here every day but I want better content.

I'll tell you the truth, the best wargaming blog on the internet before it shut down was from the warp. He had hobby articles and step by steps on basing, painting, green stuff. All the stuff that helps turn your armies from a little plastic men into characterful little plastic men :)

Now I know that there are some people on this site make their living or at least supplement their incomes by painting and may not necessarily want to give away secrets. Thats fine, there are other people that can give us their step by steps. Even then, is posting a step by step of how you got a wraithknight done, or how you got a glowy effect, or how you did some free hand gonna hurt?

We see the rumors every, we see the tactic every day, and we see the lists every day. Lets start seeing some hobby stuff.

Just my opinion.

magickbk
07-08-2013, 09:48 AM
There is a hobby section of the forum, and if you ask, many of those posting there are happy to divulge methods, paint colors, materials used, etc. If there is something specific you want to see, maybe request a particular method be demonstrated. Other than that, message BigRed to suggest some articles you think may be good. I've seen him post requests for a variety of article author types before.

Deadlift
07-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Not sure what your after, but I'm always happy to share what I'm upto painting wise. I'm not the best painter in the world, average really but I have been using an airbrush nearly exclusively for the past 18 months and have expanded on what I can do with it. I have been experimenting with it and doing techniques like pre-shading and also some Osl.I have tried some templates, ghost tints (candies) and trying to perfect true flame on our scale which is a challenge. I love my airbrush :). I'm also going into colour theory a little now and fiddling about using complementary colours to shade with. Using greens to shade red and a deep red / purple to shade yellows. I'm still on my journey on becoming a better painter, but I guess we all are. I don't expect to win any daemons this century but its nice when visitors look in my cabinet and give nice comments.

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.co.uk/

Is a painters site I follow, also YouTube has stacks of stuff that I have been using, Awesome Paintjob and Ichiban are 2 that spring to mind as well as Buypainted.

Mr Mystery
07-08-2013, 01:56 PM
At the risk of sounding like an arsebrain, lead by example dude :)

A forum type site is only as good as its contributors!

SotonShades
07-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Best approach is to click on the 'Email BOLS' button on the front page and ask BigRed. Better yet, write an article yourself. All the contributors to the front page, with the exception to BigRed, are written voluntarily, so if what you write is good enough and there is space in the schedule for it, I'm sure it will end up on the front page

Bigred
07-08-2013, 09:42 PM
We do love a good hobby article, but understand that high quality hobby posts are much more time intensive than news and editorials.

Someone has to paint and photograph minis after all. That said, we are now building up a quite fine hobby community here on the Lounge and are making great pains to nurture and grow it.

By all means, if anyone sees something you think needs frontpage treatment, or want to contribute a hobby article yourself, - I am all ears. I'm only an email, or PM away.

I've been in this hobby for almost 30 years now and while rulebooks and codices come and go - I've found that its the love of painting, collecting and sharing our hobby that holds us together through thick and thin.

So the next time you sit down at your hobby desk, take a minute to take some phone pics and start a project log here. You'll be amazed by what the kind words, feedback and sharing of ideas will do to supercharge your enthusiasm and skills.

-Larry

Denzark
07-09-2013, 02:04 AM
Right HAvik, if you were here 5 years ago, and know BoLS from when it was a niche element, then you will remember the Lords of Battle and renewal of this to match Apoc 6th ed, must be the priority - don't go distracting them with poxy hobby article requests!!!

daboarder
07-09-2013, 02:53 AM
Right HAvik, if you were here 5 years ago, and know BoLS from when it was a niche element, then you will remember the Lords of Battle and renewal of this to match Apoc 6th ed, must be the priority - don't go distracting them with poxy hobby article requests!!!

I miss the old Heresy add-on and the macharius campaign, any chance we could get them re-updated and re-released for 6th Bigred?

SotonShades
07-09-2013, 03:01 AM
I miss the old Heresy add-on and the macharius campaign, any chance we could get them re-updated and re-released for 6th Bigred?

Well the Heresy one is fairly debunked by FW now, but the Macharius Campaign would definitely be good. After I have finished the campaigns I am working on for my gaming groups I might have a look at her, see if I can't write an update to send to Larry for approval.

daboarder
07-09-2013, 03:03 AM
I dunno I thought the BoLs heresy book was great, really covered all the bases within the framework of the current game.

SotonShades
07-09-2013, 03:06 AM
Oh I'm not denying that. It was certainly good, but now that FW are actually producing a series of HH books, it seems silly to rewrite something there is all ready a newer system for that more accurately captures the feel of the Heresy.

Bigred
07-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Well those campaign books were labors of love and took a bunch of people months to do.

I can't go into details but lets just say there was a very solid reason they tapered off as the site grew about 4 years back.

But Lords of Battle will get updated, as that is just doing tweaks once we get a handle on the new style Apoc2.0 rules and point costing philosophy.

-L

Renegade
07-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Noticed a nice little hobby article on the front page.

If some one is doing Apoc and not to worried about the looks, I would say that printer is fine, but still pricey and probably not worth the effort just for GW stuff.

I haven't tried my hand at actual hobby craft for years, can't remember the last time I scratched built something.

Noticed that Bigred forgot to mention who may have found that nugget of info on the printer:rolleyes: