PDA

View Full Version : Forge world and tournaments

Isaac Gutierrez
07-08-2013, 08:08 AM
A tournament that allows forge world models, also allows the use of imperial armour books units without models? Or imperial armour army lists? I' toying with the idea of building a tyrants legion from the badab war, and many of the options don't have a model, including the heroes or the troops. So I want to know if this army could be used in tournaments or only in casual games.

Nabterayl
07-08-2013, 08:34 AM
I don't know if there's any sort of international or even national consensus on that issue. If you are thinking of building a list to go to a particular tournament, your best option is to ask the tournament organizer. My guess, though, is that most tournaments that say they "allow Forge World models" really mean they "allow Forge World units."

rle68
07-08-2013, 08:35 AM
depends on each TO themselves... me personally im not going to play in a forgeworld armour book event...if you want that more power to you

Tynskel
07-08-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm all for Forgeworld! It's all about the Mycetic Spores and Malenthropes!

Popsical
07-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Its all about the TO. If they say yes then your good to go. More and more are saying yes, which is great.
I went to a fw friendly tournie for 3 years running and loved it. Some peeps complained fw lists were op, this was laughable as my mate went pure fw and finished 2nd to last, i took none and finished 2nd.
Folk just resist change sadly.

SacredChao
07-08-2013, 09:48 AM
It depends on the TO and their style of writing Tournament descriptions. It either means that yes, forgeworld rules that aren't stamped "Experimental" are allowed, or it means the TO is thorough about you using forgeworld models for counts-as other things. I've seen it both ways around where I live.

Nabterayl
07-08-2013, 09:53 AM
I'm all for Forgeworld! It's all about the Mycetic Spores and Malenthropes!
I have it on reliable information, sir, that it is all about the Pentiums.

Tynskel
07-08-2013, 09:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMvS1Q1sos

Mycetic Spores provide pretty much the only reliable anti-air for Tyranids.
And, Malenthropes are just sweet.

khambatta
07-09-2013, 07:19 AM
...and many of the options don't have a model...

I want to be able to look at your army and say to myself "this unit is the Marauders, and this unit is the Auxilia Armsmen", etc. That should be easy to do, with a smart paint scheme, or even some necromunda models.
If you can show your opponent a copy of the special rules, I'm all for it. Who can afford to buy a copy of every regular codex nowadays anyway?

There's a very nice battlescribe cat file for the tyrants legion, too.

Cadian122
08-07-2013, 01:14 AM
The last 3 tournaments I went to were all at Warhammer World, and the first one allowed all forgeworld, the second one allowed FW models with the Warhammer 40,000 stamp (that is in all of the latest IA Books), and the most recent one didn't allow anything (that was a doubles Tourney, and there were a fair amount of younger players there, so I think the FW rules were left out to stop confusing them). The Irony is, I've been more successful in tourneys (from a gaming perspective) without FW models, The one time I used my DKK list at a tourney, I finished nearer the bottom of the table, but I had some of my favourite games. If your army is clear that it is "this army is the Badab Tyrant's Legion, and that unit is X, that unit is Y, etc..." then you should be fine - but seek clarification from the TO beforehand, and have a backup plan in place (e.g. Codex marines with an IG allied contingent), like what I do with my Death Korps. if I'm not allowed to use the FW rules, I'll use them as Codex Guard with the FW artillery, and if that's not allowed, then straight Codex Guard,

daboarder
08-07-2013, 02:11 AM
Lots of the Aus tournaments are starting to allow FW, though they usually have a slight distinction between the units and lists they are still growing in popularity.

Denzark
08-07-2013, 06:02 AM
Remember to distinguish between FW rules and FW models - current GW Throne of Skulls tournament allows FW models but not rules. Its an Obi-wan-Kenobi certain point of view thing.