PDA

View Full Version : Darkstrider may be my new HQ choice.

chicop76
07-07-2013, 07:08 PM
After playing differant games with Tau I noticed that I needed a unit that can go in and pull out the relic. The kroot usually get shot to death and difficult terrain can impede their progress. If they had move through cover it wouldn't be a huge issue.

However I thought back to when I thought about using Darkstrider again. There are many reasons to take him.

1. Possible 9" assault range reduction with pathfinders if the unit get assaulted.
2. The strength 6 rail guns now can instant kill paladins and the normal strength 5 shots can negate FNP on T3 models.
3. Can allow Fire Warriors to scout.
4. Allow Fire Warriors to outflank.
5. If allies are taken like a farseer the strength 9 range attack will be able to instant kill t 5 models. This makes any shooty Independant Character deadly.
6. If used with a psyker with enfeeble that's -2 toughness of a model. Meaning strength 5 weapons now instant kill t 4 models and t 6 models are now wounded on 3s. Those strength 6 rail guns can now instant kill t 5 models.
7. If paired with an infiltrating IC the squad can now infiltrate and scout, which means that can be 12 " away from the enemy anywhere they want to be, depending what IC is in the unit and the fact you can make it hard to assault anyway. It might not be a bad ideal.

Anyway my thoughts for him is to use him for the relic. It depends on who goes first really and how the terrain is set up.

If it is adventagous to do so I plan to put Darkstrider with fire warriors in a devil fish. The ideal is to scout up 12" on top the relic at game start. If I go first I can disembark from the devilfish and easily grab the relic. I can angle the devilfish to blos to my unit on the relic. I will than turbo 1" so I will have a +3 cover save. My first turn shooting will focus on units that can threaten my units on the relic. When my turn comes up if I done it right my relic holder will move 2" on to the trans port. The transport will move back towards me 4" during the movement phase. During the shooting phase I will move again 6" using my flat out move.

Using the above tactic will get my guys almost back in my depolyment zone by turn 2. For the rest of the game I can than have said transport move 6" in the movement and 6" in the shooting to keep it out of harms way. I will also probably have darkstrider leave and join another fire warrior squad.

Also another tactic is to outflank in a transport and cause disruption in the enemy's deployment. This will be followed up with 30 kroot and several suits and riptides deep striking. I have done this befor and it creates two tau armies behind and in front of the enemy stuck in the middle of the board. I have to read the autarch which will be useful with this tactic.

DarkLink
07-07-2013, 08:05 PM
You can't Flat Out the same turn you embark or disembark from the vehicle, which would prevent you from jumping out and grabbing the Relic. Also, I don't think you can Flat Out with the Relic on board, but I'm not 100% on that.

chicop76
07-07-2013, 08:16 PM
You can't Flat Out the same turn you embark or disembark from the vehicle, which would prevent you from jumping out and grabbing the Relic. Also, I don't think you can Flat Out with the Relic on board, but I'm not 100% on that.

1. I'll double check, but I didn't see any restriction preventing me from flat out, while embarking or disembarking. Besides moving again, assaults, etc. I'll look again or you can point it out to me.

2. It states you can't run with the relic or move more than 6" per phase. Unless it's in the FAQ I don't see why you can't move and than move flat out with the relic. I also been thinking infiltrating wave serpents. Heck this would work with grey knights as well. Too bad a land raider is not dedicated, but a scouting land raider would be cool.

I re-read # 1. I was half right. If the transport moves and than takes on passengers it can not flat out, how ever if it didn't move like I am doing the can embark and the transport can move flat out. As long as I move the passengers first I will be fine.
I have to look at which armies that can take land raiders as dedicated vehicles and have IC's that can give scout or infiltrate.

Another thought is to take Karandras with the unit so they can infiltrate and scout on top the objective. The devilfish should still have scout??? Which will wait for the unit to embark inside in turn 2. The transport will have to leave Karandras behind. The wonderful part of Karandras is that he can be out front taking the wounds meant for the fire warriors. He can than start allocating away when he is about to die. Also he is a nice deterent for those who decide to try to assault the unit.