PDA

View Full Version : New Eldar Player Looking For Advice

thebigdog
07-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Hi guys,
I've been a long term space marine player but have recently decided to give eldar a try.

At the moment my new codex is in the post and i've recently picked up enough purchases to start a modest army of around 1000 points.

The minis I've picked up are:-

HQ
Farseer and 3 warlocks (boxed set)

TROOPS
10 guardian defenders with support weapon
10 dire avengers including exarch
5 dire avengers including exarch

TRANSPORT
Wave serpent

ELITES
6 striking scorpions including exarch

FAST ATTACK
Vyper

I am planning another 5 avengers to bulk out the half squad. The minis are all unbuilt at present so i have all the weapon options open to me but i'm looking for some suggestions with regards to heavy weapon choices.

I'm aware i've got little in the way of anti tank/ anti vehicle firepower. I was going to select t/l bright lances on the wave serpent but i'm undecided as to what i should choose for the guardians and vyper.

I was thinking about eldar missile launchers for both as it can do anti infantry duty or fair anti vehicle damage.

Plan would be to use the EML on the guardians to shoot tanks until the guardians get within their 12 range and then switch to plasma missiles against infantry.

For the vyper i'll upgrade the underslung shuriken catapults for a cannon. I was thinking that the EML would allow me flexibility to eithet shoot side or rear with shuriken cannon and krak (starfire?) missiles or shred infantry with plasma.

What do you think, as i said im aware im a little light on anti tank at this stage, do you think that 2 missile launchers and a t/l brightlance will do for now? What would you suggest i change?

Fire dragons, wraithguard, fire prism and (OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODYES!!!!!) a wraithknight are planned in future but as it is im out of cash for the time being.

chicop76
07-03-2013, 02:01 PM
I like vypers and was thinking more like starcannon which is a cheap upgrade and S Cannon. You can also go scatter/ S Cannon.

The serpent is good to take S Cannon/ Scatter Laser for a possible 14 twin linked shots.

I think vypers with starcannons will be useful vs +2 armour saves, also daemon princes with a 3+ save. The S Cannon soft rend can also help with dealing with high armour.

Tyrendian
07-03-2013, 03:59 PM
I'd second chicop and say go with Scatter Lasers on the Serpent... that many shots will wreck most light to medium vehicles, and Land Raiders are not exactly common at that points level... As an answer to them, you might consider Fire Dragons...
Rest of what you bought looks solid, although I've yet to try out Vypers... just kinda don't see their mobility making up the disadvantage in firepower compared to War Walkers, especially since those got Battle Focus... but that's a matter of taste, and part of the Battleforce so... certainly not a bad choice :D

JMichael
07-03-2013, 04:15 PM
I'm a long time Eldar player (since 2nd edition).
You have a really good starting force.
For Anti Tank and Heavy Support options I have these suggestions:

Fire Prism/Night Spinner:
2 Kits in one that with some magnetizing can easily be swapped.
-The new Fire Prism is great! 3 different fire modes ensure you can deal with Marines (Str 5, AP3, large Blast) and Termies (Str7, AP2, Blast), and tanks (Str 9, AP1 Lance).
-Night Spinner is your Barrage anti-horde/light armor. Str7, AP 6, Barrage, Large Blast. On a roll to would of a 6 it is AP1! Also +1 Str vs models with Init 3 or less or models with no Init (So Str 8 Large Blast vs most vehicles!). This can tear up Dark Eldar Skimmers that are close together!

War Walkers
A very Flexible unit and well supported by a Farseer.
With the Scatter Laser's Laser Lock rule and cheap points, I'm currently equipping Scatter/Bright Lance.
Str 6 can deal with light vehicles and if it even hits, the Bright Lance is then twin-linked! Not bad at shooting down Flyers of FMC's.
But if you are facing Hordes, then do dual Scatter (EML's are a bit pricey just for the plasma missiles), or if a tank line then dual Bright Lances. Farseer's can Guide or Prescience.
They have Scout and Battle Focus. This can really help get them into position (or out of LoS of the enemy after shooting!).

WraithKnight
Just a beast of a model! Very, very hard to kill in one turn. Expensive (bopth points and $$) but if your enemy is shooting all their big guns at the WK, then they aren't shooting at the rest of your army! And if they ignore the WK...well they will learn their lesson soon!

JMichael
07-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Wave Serpent weapons are super easy to magnetize (plenty of youtube videos on this).
This lets you easily swap them out for different situations.
I use Scatters on mine to Twin Link the Serpent Field!
Running 3-5 Wave Serpents together with that config wrecks everything (including Flyers) but the high armor stuff.

Lost Vyper
07-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Yep, Walkers (IMHO too) work like beasts with that SL/BL -combo. YouŽll have your "IŽll blow up your ride!" and "There goes your troops!" both wrapped in one mean a** killing machine (which i hope you are going to use at least three...and three squadrons :) )!

thebigdog
07-05-2013, 02:57 AM
Wow, thanks for the responses guys.

@Jmichael - I'd never even considered magnetising the weapon mounts. On your advice i've had a look at the tutorials on youtube and ordered some magnets. I think that way i'll have all the options and can vary my list to match my opponent. Id always thought magnetising involved some weird druidic ritual involving stone monuments, solstices, holly bushes and dancing naked in a circle but lo and behold its as easy as drill a hole, pop in a magnet and glue!

I intend to try and pick up at least one unit of everything but thats a very long term goal. Until then i think the mission will be to get what ive got built and painted.

Thinking of purple (naggaroth night) and white colour scheme with bright golden yellow as a spot colour. Goung to try to work the aspect schemes into this without losing their overall identity. So white armour on banshees instead of bone with purple hair and loincloths. What do you think?