PDA

View Full Version : 1650 Iyanden - Or Codex Eldar?

DrLove42
07-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Spiritseer
Spiritseer

9 Dire Avengers
5 Wraithguard, D Sycthes
Wave Serpent, TL Lance, Crystal Targetting Matrix, Holofields, Spirit Stones, Star Engines
5 Wraithguard, D Scythes
Wave Serpent, TL Scatter Laser, Holofields, Star Engines, Cannon, Spirit Stones

Wraithlord, Lance + Scatter Laser
Fire Prism, Holofields, Cannon, Spirit Stones
5 Dark Reapers, including Exarch, all with Starshot Missiles, Exarch with Fast Shot

Defence Line, Las Cannon

This is my current 1650 list. Its doing pretty damn well. I nearly tabled the guy i usually lose to despite me losing 1/3 of my army before I even got a move.

Strategy is simple. Blast forward with the Wave Serpents and rip the heart out of the enemy with the Wraithguard, usually on turn 2. Dark Reapers man the gun and blow crap up left right and centre (2 S9 AP2 BS5 interceptor and AA shots that ignores jink saves is fun)

Where my question comes in is this - Iyanden or Codex?

Codex Eldar I get conceal as a Primaris, which means the Wraithguard are getting a 5+ cover in the open, or awesome cover saves in any kind of scenery. Additionally conceal is a Warp Charge 1 power, so they can also do a 2nd power a turn

Iyanden, I don't get conceal. I get a 2 Warp Charge unit power that gives them battlefocus (run then shoot or shoot then run) and Furious Charge. I also get a better Warlord trait table, and could use the Wraithlord as the Warlord in the army. Theoretically this gives me an even damn faster army (transports move 24" in turn 1, then 6" in turn 2, unit disembarks 6", then runs D6" before firing, giving me a potential threat range of 42") This comes at the cost of the conceal ability to help keep them alive. Additionally with a Warp Charge 2, they wouldn't be able to use any other powers.

I'm edged towards Iyanden, for the extra threat range....

Garradh
07-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Conceal - the psyker gets Shrouded, no mention of his unit benefitting from Shrouded as well. Caught that this weekend.

I play Iyanden and I'm incredibly leery of making a Wraithlord my warlord. My farseer is just plain harder to kill - not on paper, but because he is a lot easier to hide or to stick behind a wall of Wraithguard. A Wraithlord has a lot less options for avoiding death without hiding in terrain.

Edit: I re-read the rules for Shrouding, and that is where it applies to the entire unit. Derp.

My personal feelings on this are that both Primaris powers are useful enough to make it a tough call. I enjoy the Iyanden power for the shoot-n-scoot or scoot-n-shoot, but whatever the second power the psyker generates becomes largely irrelevent once you are close to your opponent, or it's good enough that you never use your primaris power.

Case in point, in my recent game I generated the +1/-1 armor save ability for one Spiritseer and the destructor/healy for other. The squad with +1 armor save cast that every turn, and the destructor/healy squad never had any confusion as to which power to use - I was either close enough that a run didn't accomplish anything or far enough away that destructor was useless.

Garradh
07-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Another question - are you paying for krak missiles on the Exarch as well, for the DR squad? I'm assuming no . . .

Dave Mcturk
07-02-2013, 04:37 PM
CODEX MESS UP ... you might as well take EML for the exarch as it is the same points as the basic starshot and always has the option to fire either blast or anti-tank...

DarkLink
07-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Conceal - the psyker gets Shrouded, no mention of his unit benefitting from Shrouded as well. Caught that this weekend.

Shrouded is conferred to the unit.

DrLove42
07-03-2013, 01:41 AM
CODEX MESS UP ... you might as well take EML for the exarch as it is the same points as the basic starshot and always has the option to fire either blast or anti-tank...

Yeah thats just me being an idiot when i typed it up. Exarch has the EML

Asuryan
07-03-2013, 02:47 AM
I would take the cannon off the prism, and give the DR Exarch a Tempest launcher because its blast is better and if you already have the Lascannon why would you fire the EML over it. The only time i see the eml over the las is after you intercept and you want to take out tanks the next turn as well, but between the WS, Prism, Lord, and other DR's you have enough anti tank to lose 2 shots.

Dave Mcturk
07-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Reaper Exarch ... EML.. two shots 48" ignore jink / night vision BS 5... tempest launcher is tempting... but the range is what worries me...

Garradh
07-03-2013, 11:15 AM
If the DR exarch is supposed to be manning the lascannon, it seems a bit redundant to spend points on a weapon he will only use when that lascannon is destroyed.