PDA

View Full Version : confused about apocalypse

neutrino
06-30-2013, 02:13 PM
why does it say that any army can use the lord of battle and the tesserack ark?, also now we are on to the subject of the lord of battle, i think painted nicely it not's too bad

Denzark
06-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Probably because there are no limitations of any sort in apoc - assuming that doesn't change in this rule book.

Mr Mystery
06-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Bingo!

It's apocalypse. It's not about competitive or even structured gaming!

daboarder
06-30-2013, 06:42 PM
Though many places that regularly play it may introduce more structure to it as they see fit.

deinol
06-30-2013, 07:50 PM
So why bother buying the rules? Just play it how you like.

Learn2Eel
06-30-2013, 08:03 PM
So why bother buying the rules? Just play it how you like.

So you have access to the rules for all the units, the new strategems and tables, etc without needing an open copy. Unless you want to make your own rules for all those hundreds of units/formations lol.

daboarder
06-30-2013, 08:24 PM
not to mention there is still SOME structure to apoc.

deinol
06-30-2013, 11:22 PM
So you have access to the rules for all the units, the new strategems and tables, etc without needing an open copy. Unless you want to make your own rules for all those hundreds of units/formations lol.

Are there any actual Eldar units in the Apocalypse book? It seems to me most everything I need is in IA 11. Do formations actually have special rules besides "field this group of models together"?

I haven't really looked at Apocalypse, since I can barely fit a regular game in my schedule as it is. I suspect I'll grab a strategic asset deck just in case though.

Dalleron
06-30-2013, 11:58 PM
There was some benefit to fielding a formation in the old rules. Whether or not that remains in the new rules I don't know. Nor do I particularly care. The benefit may be useful to not quite so useful.

Mr Mystery
07-01-2013, 05:38 AM
Are there any actual Eldar units in the Apocalypse book? It seems to me most everything I need is in IA 11. Do formations actually have special rules besides "field this group of models together"?

I haven't really looked at Apocalypse, since I can barely fit a regular game in my schedule as it is. I suspect I'll grab a strategic asset deck just in case though.

You may also see updated rules for existing FW stuff.

Dunno if there is like, but it's happened before.

Learn2Eel
07-01-2013, 06:09 AM

There are quite a few Eldar units in Apocalypse, like the multiple classes of titan they have and their super-heavy tanks and fliers. And yes, formations have unique special rules - as an example, Ahriman and his Thousand Sons coven can unleash a psychic barrage instead of their normal powers.

Pssyche
07-01-2013, 07:33 AM
Actually, there are a LOT of Eldar Formations in the version of Apocalypse that is now coming to an end.
Hopefully they'll all be updated in due course.

There are several already referenced on the Games Workshop Website, including the Falcon Cloudstrike Formation.
Let's face it, who doesn't want Falcons that can Fly and gain access to the Lance Special Rule for their Pulse Lasers?

I also hope that the War Walker Formation makes a comeback.
3+ Squadrons of War Walkers.
Start off-board although do not count against Reserves.
Enter play all in one go from Turn One onwards, no need to roll for them. You choose when.
First one enters at a point +12" away from all enemy models, anywhere on the table, no scatter.
Rest enter play within 6" of first War Walker, no restrictions there.
All War Walkers get double shots on turn they arrive.
So, Twin Scatter Laser War Walker with 16 shots, Twin Bright Lance with 4 shots etc.
And if you field your War Walkers in Squadrons of one model (in Apocalypse it would be rude not to), each War Walker can shoot at its own target and has to be targetted back individually.

I usually field nine...
Here's a pre-game shot of them.