PDA

View Full Version : The Cider Thread

Brakkart
06-28-2013, 02:50 AM
Seeing as we have a Beer Thread that is doing rather well for itself and that I live in Somerset where Cider is far more traditional a drink I thought I'd create a thread for discussing its merits and such. From what was something of a niche drink just a decade or so ago cider has seen a huge upswing in popularity owing to such brands as Magners and Bulmers and the advertising that emphasizes drinking it over ice.

The main cider firm hereabouts used to be Taunton Cider based just outside town but sadly they were bought up and shut down some years ago and production moved elsewhere as the only thing the company that bought them wanted was the brand name. That said I was never that fond of their cider anyway.

I'm a sucker for flavoured ciders though, those that add in berry juice to colour and flavour the drink and in particular Rekorderlig make a truly amazing Strawberry and Lime Cider. Yesterday though while getting a couple bottles of it at the Tesco Local I spotted a new flavour they've launched, Apricot and Peach. Since it was 3 bottles for £5 I figured I'd give it a try and very nice (if a bit sweet) it is too. will be getting that again.

eldargal
06-28-2013, 02:53 AM
I love cider. Rekorderlig Strawberry and Lime is very much of the win. I also like certain French ciders from Normany whose names I can never remember.

Psychosplodge
06-28-2013, 03:02 AM
After youthful indiscretions with white lightning and special red it'll be a cold day in hell before I touch cider again.

Deadlift
06-28-2013, 04:04 AM
Just up the road from me then Brakkart :D. Cripple **** scrumpy, is rather wicked. The name gives you a hint at how strong it is.

Kirsten
06-28-2013, 04:33 AM
Rekorderlig is nice but can't drink too much of it. I tried some at an opening night of a nearby bar, first couple of mouthfuls, mmm this is nice, tastes like those strawberry chew sweets. by the time I had drunk half the bottle it was so sickly I could hardly drink any more. just about finished it and my friend returned with the second round, and had ordered me another. lucky me...

eldargal
06-28-2013, 04:39 AM
I have never had that problem.:p /epic stomach

Brakkart
06-28-2013, 04:44 AM
Just up the road from me then Brakkart :D. Cripple **** scrumpy, is rather wicked. The name gives you a hint at how strong it is.

Good to see there's another south-westerner here and yeah I have tried that stuff and it is very aptly named. I had one of the worst headaches of my life the day after and I suffer from migraines!

Rekorderlig is nice but can't drink too much of it. I tried some at an opening night of a nearby bar, first couple of mouthfuls, mmm this is nice, tastes like those strawberry chew sweets. by the time I had drunk half the bottle it was so sickly I could hardly drink any more. just about finished it and my friend returned with the second round, and had ordered me another. lucky me...

LOL! I used find it got a bit sickly after a while, but drinking it with plenty of ice mollifies that to a large extent which is why I no longer drink it all uncultured like from the bottle and instead use a glass.

I really like the Jacques cider too, the red one that is as the pale yellow one is not very nice. It's great how it comes in huge 750ml bottles too and not at all expensive.

Kirsten
06-28-2013, 04:45 AM
I prefer the other Rekorderlig flavours, much less offensive to the tongue :p
Jacques is wonderful, big fan of the purple coloured berry stuff

Mr Mystery
06-28-2013, 05:45 AM
Whilst more of a Beer man, I am partial to a good cider.

Best I've had? Black Dragon, from Walkes. EHRMAGERD it's good!

Brakkart
12-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Thought I'd instill some life into this thread as while I was in Lidl's earlier to get some of their coffee, I noticed they had in a seasonal variant of Rekorderlig: Cinnamon and Vanilla flavour cider. They also had in a Passion Fruit flavour I'd not tried before and as it was 3 bottles for £5 I got 1 of the Passion Fruit (not tried it yet though) and 2 of the Seasonal type. The Seasonal one is really nice and while I'm drinking this 1st bottle cold over ice, I'm rather tempted to try the second bottle heated up as I think it might actually be even nicer like that.

Mr Mystery
12-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Sounds dubious to my taste buds!

Looking forward to Summer 2014, as local pub is now freehold, and famed for their local festivals.

With no Pub Co goose stepping into things, here's to even more variety!

Denzark
12-10-2013, 04:53 AM
Just been cutting around the Lincoln Christmas Market. I can confirm Rekorderlik vanilla etc - does heat well into mulled cider. I think you are better using a slow cooker / low heat on hob rather than nuking it in the microwave.

Rekorderlik popular with the memsahib, my favourite of the moment is Bulmers Crushed Red Berries. It creeps up on you about bottle 4 and smashes your head in like a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster but before that point is quite jolly.

Santa
12-10-2013, 05:47 AM
Mrs Claus has been using Nigella Lawson's mulled cider recipe for quite some time and I must say it's rather good.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/mulled-cider-recipe/index.html

It's very moreish and always puts me in an even better mood than I usually am. Mrs Claus who's on good terms with Ms Lawson said there's an added secret ingredient that Nigella likes to add which the good wife now does too. I just can't get enough of it.
Ho ho ho.

Wolfshead
12-10-2013, 07:16 AM
Love me a drop of Thatchers Katy or Green Goblin (when Alko can get some in, of course). If I'm back home in Kent then mine's a pint of Biddenden Strong Vintage Kentish cider.

When I used to visit Bristol regularly, I'd usually end up in The Apple drinking whatever rough scrumpy was on offer and embarrassing my ex-girlfriend by singing with her Dad, who had also been partaking. I miss that cider boat.

Psychosplodge
12-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Mrs Claus has been using Nigella Lawson's mulled cider recipe for quite some time and I must say it's rather good.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/mulled-cider-recipe/index.html

It's very moreish and always puts me in an even better mood than I usually am. Mrs Claus who's on good terms with Ms Lawson said there's an added secret ingredient that Nigella likes to add which the good wife now does too. I just can't get enough of it.
Ho ho ho.

:rolleyes:
oh really?