PDA

View Full Version : Can you indirect fire a barrage weapon through a fire port?

dwez
06-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Pretty much as the thread suggests, would it be possible for something to indirect fire a barrage through a fire port, the example I'm most intereste in is a Biovore through a Bastion fire port [or the hatch in the roof ;) ]?

I can't find anything in the book to say you can't although I suppose one would argue it's a pretty big ask. Technically I think you could but in the spirit of the game I probably wouldn't but would like to see what people think.

Nabterayl
06-26-2013, 05:22 PM
I think you have it exactly right both technically and in terms of the spirit of the game.

chicop76
06-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Yes you can. If you have no los than no bs bonus for you.

GrauGeist
06-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Absolutely, you can. That's what the rules say.

You can also thread a shoulder-launched missile into one window, through a corner room, out another window, to hit a skimmer behind the building. It's no more difficult than if the skimmer were half-exposed.

At some point, you need to stop playing realism and just play 40k, no matter how stupid the rules are. Otherwise, you might as well play a different game.

Nabterayl
06-26-2013, 06:39 PM
I have to admit, even the "spirit of the game" argument doesn't exactly work the same for all barrage weapons. I actually see no reason, fluff-wise, why a biovore couldn't fire from inside a building. Imperial Guard mortars are another issue (though still, as we all seem to agree, legal).

Caitsidhe
06-26-2013, 06:47 PM
No, you can't. Buildings are treated as vehicles. Just as you cannot hit people inside a vehicle, you cannot hit them inside a building. The only excepting being flamer templates which are given a specific rule which allows them to do so.

daboarder
06-26-2013, 06:49 PM
No, you can't. Buildings are treated as vehicles. Just as you cannot hit people inside a vehicle, you cannot hit them inside a building. The only excepting being flamer templates which are given a specific rule which allows them to do so.

Other way around mate.

And yes you can.

Nabterayl
06-26-2013, 06:58 PM
I don't see what this has to do with firing a barrage weapon from a vehicle, or a building.

Magpie
06-27-2013, 01:16 AM
At some point, you need to stop playing realism and just play 40k, no matter how stupid the rules are. Otherwise, you might as well play a different game.

+1
The rules aren't really stupid tho' just a simplification. otherwise the rulebook would be 5 times the thickness and a single turn would take an hour !

DarkLink
06-27-2013, 01:29 PM
In real life, rockets have a large, potentially lethal, backblast, meaning you can't fire them in enclosed spaces. As realistic as it would be, making a rule for that would be kind of dumb.

Caitsidhe
06-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Did I read all of this backawards? So we are asking if someone can fire a barage weapon from inside a vehicle to hits omeone else to which there is no LOS (i.e. no fire points)? And not as I intially and clearly misread that we are talking about hitting people inside a vehicle with one?

Nabterayl
06-27-2013, 02:38 PM
You did. The question is whether a barrage weapon can be fired through a fire point at a target to which the fire point has no LOS. The consensus so far (to which I subscribe) is yes.

Caitsidhe
06-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Oh yeah... it is yes by the RAW certainly. I clearly need to pay more attention. I have no idea why I read it as if someone was asking if they could target people inside buildings if there was a fire port.

Tynskel
06-27-2013, 02:52 PM

Reading Comp Fail! Check out the question!

daboarder
06-27-2013, 07:16 PM
In real life, rockets have a large, potentially lethal, backblast, meaning you can't fire them in enclosed spaces. As realistic as it would be, making a rule for that would be kind of dumb.

Not the new At4 CS with the sal****er discs at the back, the sal****er absorbs the backblast.

But more importanly neither do mortars, which are barrage weapons.

edit: Stupid stupid sensor doesn't understand SALT WATER is one word

Magpie
06-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Mortars would tend to try to shoot through the roof, they fire at about 45 to 80 degrees elevation.

You'd need to be basically hanging right out of the window. Being muzzle loaded will not help the situation.

Magpie
06-27-2013, 08:45 PM
if someone was asking if they could target people inside buildings if there was a fire port.

In certain cases you kind of can. Grenades for example.

DarkLink
06-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Not the new At4 CS with the sal****er discs at the back, the sal****er absorbs the backblast.

But more importanly neither do mortars, which are barrage weapons.

edit: Stupid stupid sensor doesn't understand SALT WATER is one word

I've heard stories about poorly trained insurgents trying to do drive-bys with RPGs, but didn't roll down the windows in their vehicles and did more damage to themselves as a result.

daboarder
06-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Oh back blast exists, But modern weapons are being developed that do not suffer from it, such as the SAAB AT4 CS. For example the yanks recently stopped buying the cheaper AT4's in favour of only buying the CS version because the CS version uses a sal****er disc at the rear to absorb the energy of the back blast, meaning it can be used in close environments without endangering the firer or those around them.