PDA

View Full Version : Eldar: 6 rangers or an aegis line and icarus cannon

rle68
06-25-2013, 09:25 PM
i have some points to spare and im looking at the option of using 6 rangers or an aegis line with an icarus cannon

army is set like this

spirit seer

wraith guard 5
wave serpent bright lance holo field x's3

wind rider bikes 3 shuriken cannon x's 2

fire dragons 5 w/ exarch fire pike fast shot
wave serpent scatter lasers under slung shuriken cannon

war walkers bright lance scatter laser x's 3

now i was thinking 6 rangers to fill out the tourney list or now maybe an aegis line with icarus canon.. i know there will be one wraith knight there..orks with flyers...chaos w/ demons with soul grinders and flying demon princes

tactic: base the fire dragons behind the aegis wall w/exarch using fast shot for a 2 shot hit on 2's str 9 ap2 lascannon

or 6 rangers...not sure.. any suggestions?

Denzark
06-26-2013, 01:45 AM
I think that using the FD behind the Aegis just to get 2 shots with the Icarus is a waste - because no one is going to come within 12" of you if they don't have to, so all that melta is wasted. If yuo are castling everyone and putting an objective there fine - but Eldar are supposed to be manouevre freaks so seems a bit odd to me. I guess this makes the Ranger option more likely to me - but if you are really thinking 2 lascannon shots are the business then crack on.

DrLove42
06-26-2013, 01:51 AM
As said, Fire Dragons on it is a waste.

But you do need some AA realistically. War Walkers can only do so much.

Personally, i'd lose the FD, add in the equivilent points in Dark Reapers. Longer range fire power on the normal guys, and the exarch is even better on a lascannon for AA because he ignores jink saves, but still has fast shot.

You've got lances and wraithguard so the loss of the AP1 isn't so bad, but makes what you'vve got more effective.

6 rangers will do nothing really, other than sit in the backfield, maybe on an objective. 6 shots, 4 hits, 2 wounds, cover saves, armour saves.....you'll be lucky to get a kill a turn.

Asuryan
06-26-2013, 01:55 AM
I think that using the FD behind the Aegis just to get 2 shots with the Icarus is a waste - because no one is going to come within 12" of you if they don't have to, so all that melta is wasted. If yuo are castling everyone and putting an objective there fine - but Eldar are supposed to be manouevre freaks so seems a bit odd to me. I guess this makes the Ranger option more likely to me - but if you are really thinking 2 lascannon shots are the business then crack on.

That's why I will be taking Dark reapers with my Lascannon, and getting the added benefit of ignoring jink saves. I also take the starshot missiles so that they can snapshot at flyers or all fire at land tanks, and then the exarch can fire the tempest launcher with the squads starswarm missiles.

Not that this helps your list, unless you want to flip out a lot of points. i would suggest the rangers but if you do want the ageis then drop the fire dragon's ws for more of something else.

Belly
06-26-2013, 02:07 AM
The reapers make a much better choice. When the gun intercepts, it cannot fire on the following turn. The reaper exarch is free to fire his launcher as normal.

When he fires the icarus/quad, you can put guide on the squad and they can have rerollable krak missiles looking for snap shots. That's pretty strong too :)

Denzark
06-26-2013, 06:36 AM
As said, Fire Dragons on it is a waste.

But you do need some AA realistically. War Walkers can only do so much.

Personally, i'd lose the FD, add in the equivilent points in Dark Reapers. Longer range fire power on the normal guys, and the exarch is even better on a lascannon for AA because he ignores jink saves, but still has fast shot.

You've got lances and wraithguard so the loss of the AP1 isn't so bad, but makes what you'vve got more effective.

6 rangers will do nothing really, other than sit in the backfield, maybe on an objective. 6 shots, 4 hits, 2 wounds, cover saves, armour saves.....you'll be lucky to get a kill a turn.

Don't write off the rangers that easily though - sitting on objectives is game winning, if they still have stealthy cloaks (don't have this codex yet) their cover save will be immense, and the amount of times I have had a sniper rifle rend something inconvenient at an incovenient time, is well, inconvenient.

rle68
06-26-2013, 07:25 AM
i have considered the reaper variant .. the event is this saturday so i wont have time to get the reapers... i had about 90 points to spend i was thinking the cannon might do more then the rangers idk yet...

i think what ill eventually do is swap out either a wraithguard unit or the fire dragons and take the reapers anyways

DrLove42
06-26-2013, 07:33 AM
Don't write off the rangers that easily though - sitting on objectives is game winning, if they still have stealthy cloaks (don't have this codex yet) their cover save will be immense, and the amount of times I have had a sniper rifle rend something inconvenient at an incovenient time, is well, inconvenient.

They only have Stealth. So at best you get that 3+ save. And their guns aren't as good, but they are half the points...

rle68
06-26-2013, 08:56 AM
not really sure where you say their guns arent that good? compared to reapers or the icarus cannon? wounds on 4+ isnt something to sneeze at..

the stealth only aspect is a downside from what they used to have granted, and they are inexpensive

DrLove42
06-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Well a reapers main gun will wound most people on a 3+

What I meant is they aren't as good. They used to be AP1 on a 6, then rending on a seperate 6....they used to be considerably better is what i mean.

rle68
06-26-2013, 11:44 AM
ok gotcha

yeah making them pathfinders and getting ap1 on 5,6 was nice.. now i just dont think they are worth the 140 points needed to pay 35 more each

rle68
06-26-2013, 12:12 PM
decided in the shower im going to replace one squad of wraith guard with a squad of dark reapers and add the icarus cannon

El_Davo
06-26-2013, 12:45 PM
well honestly youve got so much anti tank, i'd drop the fire dragons to put in reapers too. and maybe drop a wraith gaurd squad for a flyer or rangers or avengers or a farseer or an avatar or warpspiders or a wraith knight. just some food for thought.

rle68
06-26-2013, 02:44 PM
well honestly youve got so much anti tank, i'd drop the fire dragons to put in reapers too. and maybe drop a wraith gaurd squad for a flyer or rangers or avengers or a farseer or an avatar or warpspiders or a wraith knight. just some food for thought.

already have a farseer on a bike...never doing a flyer.. so many things knock flyers out of the sky im not giving away points sorry..and i dont use my fire dragon for tanks exclusive i use them to hunt big uglies as well lol

now if i can only find some reaper since gw is being aholes and made them direct order no one has been able to order any they have been out fo stock for 3 weeks

DarkLink
06-26-2013, 03:33 PM

To use Reecius' (almost) exact words, "I always take Rangers, and they rarely contribute, but they win games for me all the time".

rle68
06-26-2013, 08:32 PM
To use Reecius' (almost) exact words, "I always take Rangers, and they rarely contribute, but they win games for me all the time".

without question rangers have a use...but not for this event im afraid

rle68
06-26-2013, 11:26 PM
cheese n rice dark reapers are expensive points wise everything is a damn upgrade
10 points for this 10 points for that by the time you get what they need to be good they cost a @#$% ton of points

Asuryan
06-27-2013, 01:53 AM
cheese n rice dark reapers are expensive points wise everything is a damn upgrade
10 points for this 10 points for that by the time you get what they need to be good they cost a @#$% ton of points

whats amazing about dark reapers are that they are amazing and depending on the load out cheaper then they were in the previous edition. My load out is taking the starshot missiles, the exarch w/ tempest launcher and night vision and fast shot. for a squad of 5 they are only 10 pts more expensive but you gain night vision, and 4 missiles, and lose the re-roll to wound on the exarch, but also gain SaP and still have the str 5 ap 3 heavy 2 guns. Well worth the 10 point upgrade. Where it gets really expensive is now you can take squads of 10 and if i have the pts i take 8 + exarch (so 4 more regular DR) and base them with the Lascannon. Tanks or MCs? no problem, 2 las and 8 missiles no jink saves. Meq's or hords? 16 str 5 shots and a heavy 3 barrage. of course the unit runs just shy of 480 points plus the aegis and lascannon but they are just as good in smaller squads and way better then they were.

rle68
07-02-2013, 10:48 AM
the icarus gun didnt do alot in the tourney.. no one brought any fliers :D.. ended up sticking a warlock on it and letting the reapers just shoot

the ww scatter bright lance combo worked very well...bright lances on wave serpents... ehhhhh not so sure... they did ok

daboarder
07-02-2013, 10:11 PM
never use the icarus, its bad go quad.

DarkLink
07-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Except when you're BS5 with Fast Shot. It's pretty good then.

daboarder
07-02-2013, 10:56 PM
hmm your still paying more for that than an quad.

Anyone run the numbers on the exarch shooting the Icarus Vs the Quad?

Asuryan
07-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Icarus comes out to 1.11 pens/glances with .833 pens and .277 glances for AV 12 and Quad comes out to 1.62 pens/glances with .81 chance to pen and glance for av 12.

So for 15 more points you get half a glance, with a less likely chance to blow up the flyer.

rle68
07-03-2013, 07:12 AM
the idea is to use the reaper exarch on the gun with fast shot...the other reason i didnt go quad was there wasnt the points available at 1776.. now if no one brings flyers a quad is more versatile...i take it back there was one player with a helldrake.. i didnt face him..