PDA

View Full Version : In the Grimdark future, there are only PMCs

Fenriryan
06-20-2013, 04:18 AM
Lo all.

Its my first time putting up my works for show round these parts, so I hope you like.

I have 2 armies, Tau being my one true love, but as many of use do, I have a 3+ army.

Since Tau are so much "shot first, screw questioning", I wanted something capable of smacking you about as much as shooting you, and I went for Space Wolves as I like the Counter Assault rule and the idea of Lone Wolves and Wolf Guard working as a unit or splitting off to lead units.

But I wanted to avoid being REALLY Space Wolf-esque, in fact, being very power armoured at all. So instead I decided to make an army based on the idea of it being a private military contractor known for putting the beatdown should you try it on.

And from that basic brief, all manner of cool conversions spawned forth. Here are some fo the core stand out elements.

Ogre Class Assault Mech - Rifleman Dreadnought

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/p206x206/931153_10152967401035305_1991706717_n.jpg

An Ironclads body with Sentinel legs and a Aegis Quadgun for the weapon systems with some extra gubbins. The searchlight looks like a huge eye, and the "utility munitions launcher" rack in his chest looks like a side on mouth. Surprising easy to marry the two together, and the Ironclads hunter killer cowls made great thigh armour.

Damocles Command Speeder - Damocles Command Rhino

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/983578_10152967403225305_1763667153_n.jpg

When the Dark Angels came out and this model was released, most of us, including our resident die hard Dark Angel players thought it was a terrible model, but I thought I could do something... Stripping back all the cathedral-ish pieces and mounting sensor arrays made for a neat looking command platform. You can also the heads I used across all my models - they are from Pig Iron are really make all the difference.

Thunderfire Mobile Infantry Suppression Platform - Thunderfire Cannon

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1001640_10152967400150305_853294218_n.jpg

I wanted one for allying or if I played as Ultramarines, as part fo my build brief was for a generic set of models that could work as Wolves, Ultras of Crimsons if I so wished for variety.

The Exorcist launchers from Forge World were the only missile rack I wanted for this - nothing else would work, and in the end, I got it for £10 inc p&p from the US!

The chassis is made from 2 Bastion hatch plates and some Ironclad dreadnought legs plus a few IG tank detailings

Here is my Techmarine:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1012109_10152967400120305_1876491572_n.jpg

All my marines are built with Scouts and Pig Iron heads, and this guy has bionic arms from Anvil Industries (great kits) with an IG Techpriest servoarm on an IG comms pack.

And in the next post (due to photo restrictions) my centre piece model....

Fenriryan
06-20-2013, 04:19 AM
And my centerpiece...

Golem Clas Battleframe - Contemptor Dreadnought

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/994302_10152967402240305_1695587543_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/21340_10152967402655305_1199073987_n.jpg

This was what started it all believe it or not. I wanted a Contemptor but new it had to be something different.

You can see the Dreadknight is the base, though with less armour plating. The cockpit is made from a Stormraven turret that I had spare after converting one for a Storm Eagle/"Skyraider" Landraider conversion with aid of a Chapterhouse kit.

The missiles are Typhoon missile racks, and the rest is all repurposed from the Dreadknights own components.

I like the blade coming out the back of his wrist - was a pain to make it sit right, but I love the look. Originally I was going to have hi hold a combat knife in a reverse grip but I saw the parts lying there and thought screw it, thats bad ***!

The finished article has a pilot in there that you can see, and his head is turned to face where the weapons are pointed to hint at a PoV control for the weapons. In a slight homage to the source, he is injured - he has no legs - so instead fights on thats to this mech, but he is alive and can leave the mech in my mind.

DrLove42
06-20-2013, 04:32 AM
Damn I love your stuff. Incredible conversions and a wonderful paintjob!

Wolfshade
06-20-2013, 04:39 AM
They are some nice looking conversions :)

Tyrendian
06-20-2013, 05:06 AM
awesome stuff!

Denzark
06-20-2013, 01:53 PM
I like overall what you are doing, but each piece is a bit subjective for me. Favourite is Thunderfire. Least favourite - the heads.

Cpt Codpiece
06-20-2013, 02:18 PM
really like the techmascout he looks ace :)
dreadknight is ok, great pose. but i am not swung by the cockpit, great conversion though...... id be tempted to make a remake of the old epic slaanesh hellknight, with the cockpit the right way around and the legs done backward at the knees :) no arms just a gun/s

Fenriryan
06-21-2013, 03:29 AM
Thanks all.

So far the collection has been very semi-realistic - mechs and stuff but no werewolves.

But I have seen a guy (may well be on here actually) that has used the plastic Daemon Prince kit as the basis for some huge Werewolves for count as Thunderwolf Cav.

Its would clock in at £100ish for 3 models, but I could go for a set of those, so will have to see how popular I am come my 30th Birthday next month ;-)

I already have some Werewolves I converted from Bloodletters and Goblin Wolf Mounts which I use as ambushing Gors in my Beastmen - might rebase those for use as Fenrisian Wolves.

After all, you can;t honestly have Space Wolves without Wolves ;-)

Fenriryan
08-05-2013, 06:02 AM
I have done some more - in fact the collection is almost finished!

So much so that I decided to spend the week blowing my own trumpet and have started a showcase of all the models on my blog - http://modelmagpie.wordpress.com/

I am very pleased with my Redmaw, who I am will have posted up on Friday, though he still has a HUGE amount of GS to do, and its no something I have done before, so thats tense for me.

Have look and let me know what you reckon.

Tornik
08-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Nice. A really interesting take on merging your own fluff with modelling ideas. I love it. Subscribed.

Fenriryan
08-15-2013, 03:47 AM
I have decided I want a Landraider, but me being me, it can't be an actual Landraider.

After a trudge across the net for inspiration, I have decided to go Ork and clean up a Battlewagon. Only problem with that is that whilst its long enough for a Landraider, its not really wide enough (I agree with ork players who says its not wide enough for a Battlewagon either)

SO I will be getting 2 kits and carefully splicing them together as well as cleaning up the kit to fit the rest of the force. I imagine a fair old bit of plasticard work, which is not something I have done before.

Its a real go big or go broke job, so should be a fun challenge. Ill post up some WIP shots once I have the first half prepped. Likely be next month that I pick up the second battlewagon though - its not a cheap conversion by any measure!