PDA

View Full Version : Synapse Distance and Unit Definitions

templarboy
06-18-2013, 12:09 AM
This question arose from a game I was playing. Does an entire unit have to be within 12" of the synapse creature to be "in synapse"? If I have a 20 strong unit of termagants, do all the models have to be within 12"? If not, how many models have to be within 12"? One? A majority? I am about to do a 3 tervigon-termagant horde and I am going to have some big units. I know it seems obvious but I am just returning to play and want to do it right. Thanks in advance.

daboarder
06-18-2013, 12:28 AM
This question arose from a game I was playing. Does an entire unit have to be within 12" of the synapse creature to be "in synapse"? If I have a 20 strong unit of termagants, do all the models have to be within 12"? If not, how many models have to be within 12"? One? A majority? I am about to do a 3 tervigon-termagant horde and I am going to have some big units. I know it seems obvious but I am just returning to play and want to do it right. Thanks in advance.

All answered in the BRB

templarboy
06-18-2013, 12:44 AM
Can I get a page number? Really? Why didn't I think to look in the rulebook? I am surprised someone would take the time to type a response like that. It must be fun to live in Troll-Land.

Magpie
06-18-2013, 01:06 AM
Have a look on Page 4 mate, it gives a run down on the various measurements between things.

Basically if you measure from base to base that is the distance a unit is considered to be "within"

templarboy
06-18-2013, 01:14 AM
Have a look on Page 4 mate, it gives a run down on the various measurements between things.

Basically if you measure from base to base that is the distance a unit is considered to be "within"
I take it that means one model from a unit needs to be within 12" to be in synapse? The rest just have to in unit coherency to the closest one? I thought this was a fairly easy question to clarify....I wasn't expecting cryptic answers.

Magpie
06-18-2013, 01:20 AM
The answers aren't cryptic I am giving you the page reference so you can read and understand yourself as well as a basic summary to answer your immediate concern.

"I take it that means one model from a unit needs to be within 12" to be in synapse?"
That's what I said I believe.

templarboy
06-18-2013, 01:26 AM
Thank you. I guess it isn't as obvious as I thought.

Magpie
06-18-2013, 01:31 AM
You measure from base to base that is the distance a unit is considered to be "within"

There you go, got rid of all that messy helpful reference to the source for you.

templarboy
06-18-2013, 01:52 AM
You measure from base to base that is the distance a unit is considered to be "within"

There you go, got rid of all that messy helpful reference to the source for you.
I thanked you and found a better answer from a better source. I am not really used to being treated like an idiot for asking a simple question on BoLS. For a second there I thought I posted a question to Warseer.....Thank you SOOOO MUCH. Sorry to have bothered you. I wouldn't have asked if it was so bloody clear on the page your referenced.

Magpie
06-18-2013, 02:00 AM
The answer you got "elsewhere" isn't that different to mine or to what is written in the rulebook. The rulebook even has a picture.

Wolfshade
06-18-2013, 02:01 AM
In order to be considered within distance at least one model from the unit needs to be within that distance, so an entire brood is within synapse range if at least one model is in a distance that is shorter to the maximum range for synapse. Even if only one model is within that range the whole unit counts.

This is further evidenced by who special rules work and how single models with a special rule then confer it to the rest of teh squad.

Magpie
06-18-2013, 02:03 AM
Always bearing in mind that "within" is the distance base to base

daboarder
06-18-2013, 03:05 AM
Can I get a page number? Really? Why didn't I think to look in the rulebook? I am surprised someone would take the time to type a response like that. It must be fun to live in Troll-Land.

Wow I meam it couldnt possibly be that I was in the middle of work could it. ***.

mathhammer
06-18-2013, 06:59 AM
I'm guessing the OP first needs a rulebook.

Tynskel
06-18-2013, 07:06 AM

http://www.thanatosrealms.com/war2/sounds/orcs/troll-axethrower/ready.wav

Nabterayl
06-18-2013, 07:09 AM
... what the hell is wrong with you guys? When did the BoLS approach to "somebody asks a question that is unambiguously answered" become "mock the questioner" or "refer the questioner to the rule in question" instead of "answer the question unambiguously with a citation and short exegesis of the relevant text?"

Dave Mcturk
06-18-2013, 07:20 AM
some of you guys need a coffee or something else stress relieving ...

Tynskel
06-18-2013, 09:01 AM
... what the hell is wrong with you guys? When did the BoLS approach to "somebody asks a question that is unambiguously answered" become "mock the questioner" or "refer the questioner to the rule in question" instead of "answer the question unambiguously with a citation and short exegesis of the relevant text?"

When someone asks a question that can be answered by reading the first 4 pages of the main rulebook...

Nabterayl
06-18-2013, 09:24 AM
... we belittle them?

Tynskel
06-18-2013, 09:56 AM
... we belittle them?

Well, not exactly. Since I wasn't the first one to post, I didn't get to post my (in)famous 'profit' post.

Not to mention, we didn't belittle this person. The first post said read the rulebook. That's not belittling.

that's like saying cf. rulebook.

Additionally, I think you need to reread the posts. This person then goes all nuts over someone telling them to read the rulebook. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnfen1O-UG8

Learn2Eel
06-18-2013, 10:08 AM
I agree with Nabterayl. Regardless of the question asked, there's never any need to belittle the one asking it. People rarely consider that the one asking the question may have missed a specific detail, be unable to afford the rulebook, not have it handy, have reading difficulties or some other issue to which they do not reveal. Just answer the question if you can and move on, it makes it so much easier for everyone.

DarkLink
06-18-2013, 11:58 AM
I would say 'tell a man a rule and he'll answer one question, teach a man to read and he'll never need to ask another'. I'm pretty sure that's what Magpie was trying to do.

Wow I meam it couldnt possibly be that I was in the middle of work could it. ***.

Nope. Not possible. Troll;).

Nabterayl
06-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I get that. I just don't think that we're improving people's rules-reading skills if we don't provide a sample exegesis.

Magpie
06-18-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm a bit stumped as to why giving a page reference and a basic outline is cryptic an belittling.
I'd also point out that the OP might have said "Thanks guys but I have read Page 4 and I don't understand (insert actual problem here) "

Instead we opted for knob mode and threw our toys out of the cot.

Nabterayl
06-18-2013, 02:18 PM
You're right; I was frustrated when I didn't need to be. For whatever it's worth, I didn't actually think your answer was cryptic, Magpie.

Tynskel
06-18-2013, 09:59 PM
You're right; I was frustrated when I didn't need to be. For whatever it's worth, I didn't actually think your answer was cryptic, Magpie.

Yeah, I was confused by the person going nuts, hence the warcraft 2 sound effect.