PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Tactics/Tips List Request - Wave Serpent

Bigred
06-16-2013, 11:38 AM
I'm need the community's help with a list of tricks, and tips why the Wave Serpent is now possibly the best troop transport in the game...

this needs to be shortform, so give each point 1-2 sentences max. I'll collate them together into something cool for the frontpage.

3,2,1 - go!

Xenith
06-16-2013, 11:48 AM
TL scatter lasers. 4 TL S6 shots, and D6+1 TL ignores cover S7 shots at 36" ranger. Flyer/pathfinder killer for 130pts.

Aramel
06-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Can run cheap serpents with only Holo-fields and vectored engines. Turbo 36", drop troops into cover rear first, support fire with cannon, then switch facing. Alternatively deploy in the open and combine battle focus with vectored engines to have the tank block the enemy's view of the troops.

Diagnosis Ninja
06-16-2013, 02:49 PM
I'd like to see a Tank Shocked weapon emplacement do much Glory when you've got a Serpents shield.

Tyrendian
06-16-2013, 03:34 PM
just plain obscene firepower for what it costs, which is a lot for a mere transport - but see this as a main battle tank (certainly better than the Falcon and maybe superior to the Prism depending on targets) that also happens to transport your guys quickly and comparatively safely

Bigred
06-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Also I'm a complete goober and put this in the wrong section...

moving,

But please proceed folks - great feedback so far!

-Larry

Deadlift
06-16-2013, 04:00 PM
It's not short form BigRed but have you had a look at Learn2Eel has written about the Wave Serpant in his tactica on his blog. If anyone knows his tactics it's certainly this guy. It's in the troops section at the bottom.

http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/eldar-tactica-troops.html

chicop76
06-16-2013, 05:04 PM
14 max shots scatter laser, cannon, and shield which are all twin linked due to scatter laser strength 6-7. +4 cover save on the go, but with conceal +2 cover save ( warlocks on board?). Serpent rush that can get your entire army across the board in turn one, scorpions, guardains, d-scythe guard, etc. Very good chance vehicle will wreak in stead of exploding leaving los blocking terrain where the unit can disembark behind and can use vehicle as cover save.

chicop76
06-16-2013, 05:14 PM
also the range of the serpent shield shooting is 60" which gives you a kiting option to stay outside of 48" which is viable out of 2/3 of deployments, heck Tau is 36" range with most weapons like missile sides. Rear shots on vehicles via shield and matrix, or turrent turning 360 degrees. Cover save for wraithknight even whe wreaked, wraith knight ignores dangerous terrain.

Power Klawz
06-16-2013, 10:58 PM
Look, all I can say is that's not a moon... its a wave serpent.

G00dySmiley
06-17-2013, 08:20 AM
armed with 7 TL str 6 shots 3 with rending(ish) D6+1 str 7 ignores covers shots this super fast skimmer tank when purchased with holo fields has a 4+ cover save. Add in a guardian squad with conceal lock for 125 points and for 270 you have 10 troops in an AV12 transport with a 2+ cover save provided it moved.

pricey at 270

however compare that to

130 poitns for a scatter laser/cannon wave serpant without holo fields and cheaper 5 man dire avengers squad at 65 its already a min 195 for the serpant and you have to worry about shooting the shield due to only having a 5+ for moving. i think the 85 points and the more bodie inside is good, first 2-3 turns kill anti tanke with mass fire. turn 4 troops get out and on objectives. guardians get in terrain is near enought to scoring wi th the warlock and go to ground. if there are no threats to the wave serpants you conceal them, if not conceal the serpent. then keep firing with that 2+ cover

I am going to try this tactic this week for 3 serpents instead of dire avenger serpents... lots of points, 810 for 3 troops and 3 transports but i think it will be worth it

Aramel
06-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Make sure you remember that Conceal will not be confered to the Serpent.

El_Davo
06-17-2013, 12:42 PM
i like using the serpent shield to blast gun emplacements before my crimsion hunter comes on the board.usually takes 2 serpents to do it, but it still works

Defenestratus
06-17-2013, 12:54 PM
i like using the serpent shield to blast gun emplacements before my crimsion hunter comes on the board.usually takes 2 serpents to do it, but it still works

Alternatively, you could actually do a turn 2 tank shock on the unit controlling the quad gun. This would effectively separate the unit from the gun, making it unable to shoot at the end of the turn.

Of course you risk the death or glory attack but thats why you only do it if the unit itself doesn't have close combat punch.

I don't know how you think that the warlock can give your serpent conceal. It doesn't work like that.

Demonus
06-17-2013, 01:10 PM
I think he made the same mistake I did, thinking that conceal was target unit, and not "psyker". If it were target unit, he could conceal the tank but since its not, its just the psyker and his unit.

G00dySmiley
06-17-2013, 03:40 PM
I think he made the same mistake I did, thinking that conceal was target unit, and not "psyker". If it were target unit, he could conceal the tank but since its not, its just the psyker and his unit.

yep, reread it, wave serpents are still pretty baller. keep em lean and mean 65 point dire avengers in a 130 point wave serpant.

I will be running 4 of this loadout this weekend plus 5 rangers and avatar and wraithknight allid to belial 4 th/ss termis and heavy flamer termie plus a vindicatorfor a hard to counter 1850 list (hard to counter unless specifically list taiiloring that is, i try to change it up every week with a enw take all comers list eldar or orks allying marines or eachother)

DarkLink
06-17-2013, 03:47 PM
You're making the mistake of assuming that the squad inside is nothing more than a tax required to take the Serpent.

G00dySmiley
06-17-2013, 04:10 PM
nto at all, the dire avengers are great troops, fast,shoost and run. 4 groups of em so can jump out and get to objectives and mini reniding with 10 shots.

its just in my opinion the exarch upgrade brings nothing to the table... 10 points so almsot as much as another avenger for +1 WS, BS, I and attack along with 3+ . you already hit before most armies at I5 and they still have the same leadership. exarch upgrades are overcosted to. esp in smaller squads. a 5++ save costs 43 points... 3 dire avengers are 39, even in a 10 man squad that just is not worth it, neigher is twin linking a gun that hist on 2's due to exarch (would rather again have another gun

I have found them to be the perfect objective campers and great midrange harassment. units usually killing 3 space marines at range before jumping back playign keep away out of assaults

Dave Mcturk
06-18-2013, 07:38 AM
"Look, all I can say is that's not a moon... its a wave serpent." - Power Klawz

pmsl...

Dave Mcturk
06-18-2013, 07:44 AM
in 6th ... im loving my footdar... although feet dont have much to do with it... 17pts for a 'marine on a bike', 32pts for a terminator 'plus' ...axe-guard... 19pts for spiderz and 35pts for their boss with 3 st 6 AP1 shots... no need for point sink vehicles ...
and HS choices coming out of our pointy ears !

Finnegan
06-20-2013, 03:49 AM
Of course you risk the death or glory attack but thats why you only do it if the unit itself doesn't have close combat punch.
Thanks to the Serpent Shield, glancing hit won't stop Wave Serpent from squishing powerfists, meltabombs or even monstrous creatures... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLlUgilKqms

DarkLink
06-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Only if your opponent is stupid enough to Death or Glory, that is.