PDA

View Full Version : What is the best psyker power or powers in the game?

chicop76
06-15-2013, 01:13 AM
I played my Daemons again and realize adding powers and true names makes it rather hare to deal with my hounds.

Example my 20 hounds was able to kill 20 marines and 10 terminators with a lord. The reason they did well was do to prescience, fire shield, +3/+2 invulnerable saves, endurance, and the units had terrify and or. Misfortune.

The above combination allowed me to get wounds back on my hounds, if charged you take 2d6 hammer of wraith attacks, and they get to force you to re roll any successful hits and even fearless models can be run downed.

The next game invisibility and fire shield carried the day. +2 cover save love and anyone that fights them in combat is ws 1 was beautiful. My hounds took out 10 ork nob bikers with claws, pain boy, +5 invulnerable, ans warboss. Also they smashed 30 orcs and 20 storm boys. Having +2/+3 invulnerable saves sured did helped.

Basically my hounds with a ton of buffs happen to take on #'s I am not used to taking. They do simply amazing with buffs.

That being said it made me start re looking at powers which should be auto pick. I am not going to list all powers, but the ones that are always good. Iron arm for example is good on MC's but not really good on a guard psyker for example.

Biomancy:

I say 5 out of 6 powers are awesome with the primaris power being a good fall back. Over all I see 3-4 powers are must haves.

# 4 Smite: A 4 shot ap 2 shot. What is not to like. This fixes terminator problems and models that's really hard to kill due to good saves.

# 3 Life Leech: Smite and Life Leech work really well together. If you have a good bs that's like 4 easy wounds. It is good anti MC and instant kills t3 models. Great vs terminators since it wounds them on 2s and igore +2 saves. As an added feature you can get a wound back.

#2 Endurance: I rank this as the # 2 top power instead of #1. The reason I do this is due to "it will not die" only works on multi wound models. On a unit like hounds it's boss since you can get back a ton of wounds. Also throw in feel no pain it makes a unit really hard to kill. Since like daemonettes if the get hit with a bunch of strength 6 weapons it can be canceled out.

#1 Enfeeble: if it wasn't for random rolling and deny the witch rolls this would be very broken. What makes this power so good is the fact it stacks down to -1. Tyranids for example can easily get this power 3 or 4 times across the army. If you use this power 3 x ve nob bikes for example. The unit will. Be toughness 2,( instant killable by strength 4), strength 5 power claws, or strength 1 regular attacks.

It's rad grenades that stack, lower strength, and force the unit to roll difficult all the time. Can possibly force dangerous terrain on bikes? This is really helpful vs high toughness models.

Diviation:

This is probably the second best power set to have. Great with shooting armies with some powers being useless with assault armies.

#6: perfect timing: only reason I give this #6 is due to being worthless if you have no shooting. In a shooting army it's awesome since it's marker lights which strips cover. The downside is it only target the psyker and his unit. If said psyker is in a combat unit it becomes a worthless power.

#5: Precognition: I learned freaking awesome on a Lord of Change. However again would be worthless on a guard psyker. Great for beat sticks. Howerver the power only works on the psyker itself.

#4: Forboding: Tau would love to have this power. Great for shooty, but at least combat squads get ****er attack, so it's still a good power which is helpful.

#3 Forewarning: Awesome with daemons and true names which means +2 invulnerable saves. +4 invulnerable saves is great for 50 man guard squads with feel no pain. More duraility is great for any squad.

#2. Prescience: # 1 and # 2 slots was a rough choice. The problem here is both are really good. However some unit duplicate this power and can't duplicate the other which makes this #2 instead of one. This is still a great power which allows re rolls to hit via shooting and in combat. Units that have both shooting and close combat attacks really benefit from this power.

#1 Misfortune: This is a rage hate power. It now makes those +3 invulnerable saves less reliable. If you did 6 wounds on a +3 saving unit you will only get 2 wounds. With the re rolling you will get one more, maybe 4 more thanx t the re rolling. Even +2 saving models hate this power 12 wounds now can almost kill 4 models instead of the 2 with average rolling. Prescience and Misfortune are great powers which unsed together with enfeeble and invisiblity would make even grots awesome in combat.

Pyromancy: probably the most over looked power set. Fate Weaver has to roll on it which after awhile I been seeing how the powers really work out.

#4: Spontaneous Combustion: only reason this is mention for the ability to snipe out characters. Focus shots only work if you roll 5 or lower. Not reliable, but can potentially kill that power fist guy. The fact it just wounds and than blows up the model makes it a cool ability.

#3: Sunburst: It's an awesome power on a flying MC or a deep striking unit. It's limited range makes it ok, but it hits models 6" away. It autohits. Let's say 5 units are nearby that's 2d6 hits per unit that ignores cover at strength 4ap 5. What make this power sooo good is the fact it blinds. It auto hit which forces a blind test. Which means great anti horde with lowering bs to 1 an ws to 1 on a failed bs test. Great if you can lower int like banshees or daemonette heralds.

#2 Fire Shield: +4 cover with any assalting unit taking 2d6 strength 4 hits. I personally love this power. With Invisibility you are getting +2 cover savers. Thanks to Tau and Skullcannons this power is knocked to #2. Great on units that are tanking and about to be assaulted

#1 Molten Beam: The fact it' possible to take out 3 vehicles with one shot makes this silly. It's possible to get a strength 8 and a strength 7 melta shot on two seperate targets. Not the best power in the world, but a good anti tank or good unit killer.

Telekinesis: this is not my favorite at all.

#3 Gate of Infinity: need to get to an objective really fast. This is your ticket. Have rapid fire awesome. It has it's uses, but situational.

#2 Telekine Dome: not a bad power. +5 invulnerable which bounces shots back at 6". Great for daemons with +2/+4 invulnerable saves being rapid fired, or overwatch.

#1 Vortex of Doom: Strength 10 ap 1 blast. If it was a large blast I would say awesome. Good for instant killing and tank killing.

Telepathy:

A very good power set. I put it up their with Diviation and Biomancy.

#3 Psychic Shriek: typically you bound to get wounds with this even if they have leadership 10. Not awesome, but ok.

#2 Hallucination: would be #1 if it wasn't variable. 3-4 is the best effect due to the fact they just sit there. Great for Banshees. 1-2 it really depends on who you are fighting. Yes Marines can get pinned. 5-6 is ok. I like the fact it activates force weapons. Anyway it helps, but at least 3-4 really benefits an assaulting unit while 1-2 is usefull if you do not have grenades, also useful against shooting armies.

#1 Invisibility: Another rage quitting power. It gives shrouding and stealth. +2 cover saves in open terrain yes. +2 warp charges is rather expensive. However wht makes this power is it makes units ws 1 fighting this unit and can not be counter charged.

This power works really well with others. It makes tau even good in combat.

The top 3 powers:

#1. Enfeeble: I can instant kill plague drones possibly. Great in combat. Makes marines as strong as guardmen. Got to love T3 marines.

#2 Misfortune: This power can allow you to get rid of an annoying unit.

#3 Invisibility: this is another great in combat ability.

For example let's say all three powers are used on a fight with 10 Tau vs 10 Marines:

10 Marines go first with 10 attacks due to d grenades. 3 marines hit dealing 1.5 wounds. 1 Tau dies
9 Tau fight back, 6 Tau hit, 3 Tau wound, 1 marine dead almost 2.

The point her is a 90 point unit is going toe to toe aginst a 160 point unit. What's bad the 90 point unit is winning.

neutrino
06-15-2013, 01:47 AM
i think iron arm is the strongest, that when given to the swarm lord makes him unkillable in combat

Dalleron
06-15-2013, 01:52 AM
There's such a broad range from which to draw an answer. I think it comes down to which powers you are allowed to use in your army, and which ones you roll for. Which discipline is the best might be the better question. If I could reliably get it on a pyscher I'd roll the #1 on fire for +2 strength and I think a 4++, then basically anything on the Divination is pretty good. My army DA doesn't have access to Biomancy, the other best lore in my mind, along with Divination. All the randomness of getting your powers makes the question moot in my mind.

chicop76
06-15-2013, 07:19 AM
There's such a broad range from which to draw an answer. I think it comes down to which powers you are allowed to use in your army, and which ones you roll for. Which discipline is the best might be the better question. If I could reliably get it on a pyscher I'd roll the #1 on fire for +2 strength and I think a 4++, then basically anything on the Divination is pretty good. My army DA doesn't have access to Biomancy, the other best lore in my mind, along with Divination. All the randomness of getting your powers makes the question moot in my mind.

It really depends I agree. I was ranking each power overall and not army specific. That's why Iron Arm is not even mentioned and the #1 on the pyromancy isn't mentioned, both are situational. It either make the model really powerful or ok in some circumstances.

Biomancy is a good over all power set. One power is only really bad. However warp speed on a t3 s3 model isn't really that helpful on a swarmlord it's like a wet dream.

Divination seems to be really good for shooting armies. With overall the powers are good besides one. Divination is better than Biomancy since it can help out army wide. The problem however is in power the biomancy set is simply better. Hower if you was playing Tau and had a choice. Enfeeble and endurance would be the two powers you would want from biomancy, while Diviation you would want majority of the powers. Overwatch on full bs, Misfortune, ignore cover, re rolls to hit and so on. Diviation is really good for shooting armies.

Telepathy is a good set as well. I call it the big three Biomancy, Divination, and Telepathy. Telepathy really benefits assault based armies. Invisibility is crazy, followe by Hallucination. The other powers could be better and rely on leadership. Terrify is great which makes fearless units killable and gives fear to fearless units. Theproblem here is only half the powers are really good. Which makes you choose divination or biomancy. However telepathy becomes better when biomancy is not an option.

Endurance, Invisibility, Prescience, and Flameshield assaulting a unit with Misfortune, terrify, and enfeeble on it is almost an auto win. That is why I love Daemons soo much.

i think iron arm is the strongest, that when given to the swarm lord makes him unkillable in combat

The problem here is how much utility does iron arm have. The extra strength anf toughness is nice, but can easily be countered with enfeeble, and or rad, subsitute toughness for another stat weapons which use another characteristic to wound you like jaws, snipers, poison, etc.

The only thing that makes it good is eternal warrior.

For nids, daemons, and some chaos models iron arm is nice to have. For MC's it's really nice to have.

The problem comes from what about a 2 wound libby or a t3 s3 guard psyker. It does make the force weapon a bit more deadly, but you are totatly reliant on that psyker.

Here is an example from tyranids. What would you be more afraid off.

Swarmlord with Iron arm or 30 gaunts with enfeeble on your squad.

The Swormlord just counting one psyker power and nid powers will present this
Only 4 attacks base strength 7-9, toughness 7-9, preferred enemy or furious charge.

With the gaunts with the same conditions
30 attacks/ 60 attacks on the charge, poison, preferred enemy, furious charge

The Swormlord on the charge is killing 5 models max counting the charge, if the unit doesn not have poison, rending, power fist, strength 10 weapons, etc it's ok. It's not a Thirster with 15 attacks. Not to mention this unit is easily tarpited.

With the gaunts you can have 60 attacks coming at a unit. A toughness 5 unit now will suffer re rollable wounds on the unit due to being lowered to toughness 4 and gauntson the charge being strength 4. Heck poison gaunts many times will kill a swarm lord if they or within 6" of a Tervigon.

The main point is can that Swarmlord take objectives, take relics etc. Irom Arm is limited to the psyker and can't be used by they squad.

Just from Biomancy a lone here is powers that easily beat Iron Arm.

Endurance. Endurance for nids is far beter than Iron Arm for example. Cast endurance on a model with 4 wounds on it and watch it get back 1-2 wounds at the end of the turn. You now have a save vs ap 3 weapons. With multi wound squads is awesome and feel no pain on any squad alone makes it a bother. The reason why this is better than iron arm is the fact if you have warriors or gaunts on an objective they now will have cover saves on top of feel no pain

Enfeeble. This is better due to the fact it's stackable and you can spread the love. For nids let's say you are fighting orcs for example. Also let's say you have 4 enfeebles which is very possible for nids. Cast two on Orc nob bikers they are now toughness 3. Cast the other 2 on two other orc squads.

You have the following resault:
Nob bikes are now strength 2 and any power claws are now strength 6 which wound toughness 6 on 4s. Almost the same if you had iron arm.

The other two orc squads with the bikers are all toughness 3 and the orks are now lowered to strength 2 now.

The debuff helps your entire army and hurts several units. While Iron Arm only helps on model. If you have 4 iron arms it helps 4 models. Also a huge differance is minus the swarmlord it is hard to instant kill tougness 6 models with smash, cause you can't. One enfeeble now makes a t6 MC instant killable.

Don't get me wrong. Iron Arm is not listed due to it doesn't help army wide. Also on some models it is a poor power. Enfeeble is never a poor power. The reason I rate enfeeble so high is the fact enfeeble makes a differance in a lot of circumstances. Srength 6 attacks instankilling toughness 3 models now turn in to strength 5 attacks. I took out riptides by lowering it to toughness 3 this is even with me having iron arm on my tervigons. Find myself using endurance and enfeeble over iron arm many games now. Iron arm I usually cast at game start than endurance, than enfeeble, but mostly enfeeble and endurance.